Author Topic: KC Wide Open 2015 NOT to be a NT???  (Read 3129 times)

pmart

• Am Poster
KC Wide Open 2015 NOT to be a NT???
« on: September 22, 2014, 03:30:07 PM »
I just read a schedule for 2015 Majors and National Tour Elite Series and it appears that the Kansas City Wide Open will not be a NT in 2015.  Should I be shocked at this news??? Cuz I kinda am.  How in the world does the GBO (no disrespect to them for real) get to be a NT and the KCWO drops to what appears to be an A-tier tourney.  Again, I could be reading this all wrong (hopefully I am mistaken) but is this true?  Are they just looking to shake things up?  Is the GBO just that much better of a tourney?  Who's got the scoop?

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
Re: KC Wide Open 2015 NOT to be a NT???
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 03:43:44 PM »
They have been talking about doing the NT on an every other year basis for some time. 2015 just happened to be the year that it actually happened. I was informed a week after the KCWO. They want to allow towns more time to raise the kind of funds it takes to run a successful NT.

If there is an NT in 2016, the KCWO would be first to get that spot and the GBO would be an A Tier.
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

pmart

• Am Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:13:35 PM »
Thanks for the low down Dick.  I am super sad about that but what can you do. 

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 08:53:39 AM »
http://www.pdga.com/2011-nt-goes-elite

This was the model that was adopted and was to be the norm moving forward.  The fact that the Wide Open remained an "NT" was only due to many other factors for the area in terms of dates, TD's and event history within the region.

We were to really only be an NT about every 3-4 years initially possibly at the time sharing with Des Moines Challenge (a GREAT EVENT, a MUST play) the Minnesota Majestic (At the time no issues with in-fighting between clubs and businesses), possibly St. Louis (wonderful courses, but tournament management concerns), and then Tulsa as well in the mix for our area.

That way everyone got to have their "NT" status.

It didn't work out as they envisioned, and in the time since the GBO has proved itself worthy with their continued community support, development of DD as a major player in the sport, and determination to showcase how driving sponsorship in a small market town can impact our sport.

It doesn't mean that the Wide Open is only an "A" Tier per se, as the event has only been an "NT" for the Pro Men and Women, as all other divisions were playing in an "A" Tier.  It actually does give us a chance to direct an event that will still be of high quality and now the start to look at dates.  I would guess that the date of the 19th-21st of June will be the Wide Open dates, wedging it in between the coastal dates of the NT's also still allows KC to be a place to stop.

The history of the Kansas City Wide Open carries itself as a premier event in Disc Golf, this is only a blip on the big scale of what we do for the country and the world in terms of the competition.

Now though is the time to start to identify who will be helping, who will be able to support and draw sponsors, who has the artwork we need (selling WO discs for Christmas would be pretty cool.....) and working with the parks and recreation at getting the event and venues ready.

It takes much planning to make the event work, and we always need more people than we have, so let us all ask ourselves,

"How can I help make people upset that the Wide Open wasn't an NT this year?"
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

pmart

• Am Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 10:12:33 AM »
Thank you for the helpful reply Jack.  I have only lived here for 2 years so I don't have the back-story on many of the ins and outs of why things are the way they are.  I for one am genuinely bothered (or upset) that the KCWO is not a NT this coming year.  My hopes would be that our event is SO attractive to all levels of pro disc golfers (because of the quality of courses, the involvement of the DG community, and the level of sponsorship) that it is a no brainer the KCWO is ALWAYS a NT event.  I view this as a demotion (that's just the competitive part of me coming out) and that another city has pulled their event together in such a way that they were deemed more capable of nailing a NT event.  I have been to the GBO the last 2 years and while I personally love the DD people (all the one's I have met, including Scott here in KC, have been incredible people), their stores, and some of their products, there is no way I could honestly say the courses they use in Emporia are better than the courses we have in KC.  I guess this speaks to the fact that these tournaments are much more than just courses the pros/ams play; it's all the intangibles (or tangibles depending on how you look at it) such as money, sponsors, environment, swag, atmosphere...whatever you want to throw in there.  I wish no ill will on the GBO (that's stupid to even think that way) but I do hope that somehow WE (the dg community of KC) do a serious gut check and ask ourselves, as you have suggested, are we are willing to become so upset that the Wide Open is not a NT this year that we band together and take this thing to levels that demand national attention and serious considerations to be a NT every year.  Maybe I am out of line in my thinking (totally possible!!) but I am so proud of the disc golf heritage we have in this city and what we have to offer that I want KC to ALWAYS be a MUST NT every year.

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 11:00:07 AM »
pmart - What's your real name?
Rob Martin
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
https://www.facebook.com/MaverickDiscGolf

pmart

• Am Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 11:45:03 AM »
Perry Martin

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 11:54:14 AM »
Perry is a stand up guy for certain! 

Thanks Perry, the Wide Open hasn't always been an NT over the years as well though, and this is a chance for someone to win the title as Wide Open Champion that may not have to battle some tougher names.....however, just because it is an "A" Tier (or possibly, depends on who is the TD, they will decide) doesn't mean that we have a sub standard event.  We can still have everything as we have grown accustomed to in order to minimize the impact of the title.

Just as Kansas City has hosted 3 world championships, we are a great place to play disc golf, we are blessed by some of the best courses on shared parklands, and have wonderful relationships with our parks partners.  I am sure that whomever is the TD can start to plan and make this venue just as exciting as any other Wide Open.

I for one though and personally excited to see concerns this early.  Usually it is just me chiming in on the BoD as to what is being done for next year's Wide Open.  I have always felt as though we are missing opportunities to market the Wide Open earlier....so the important thing could be to have an AWESOME logo and then start to develop a team....of course we need a TD first......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 01:18:04 PM »
Perry Martin

Thanks.  Just wondering.

I'm Rob Martin
Rob Martin
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
https://www.facebook.com/MaverickDiscGolf

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 11:46:23 AM »
good to see the Ledgestone in Peoria is an NT we can attend
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other