Author Topic: September and/or October Wednesday glow?  (Read 617 times)

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
September and/or October Wednesday glow?
« on: August 19, 2014, 09:17:11 AM »
Wanting to gauge interest in September and/or October Wednesday glow as a continuation of Wandering Wednesday. 

This may or may not be necessarily wandering.  I'm more concerned about which courses lend themselves to setting up glow easily.

Originally I was thinking of taking a short break in September and doing just a 4-week mini-series in October.  However if there is a lot of interest, I would consider just moving straight into a 4-7 week glow series ending no later than October 29th. 

Cost would be:

$3 - payout - normal KCFDC league payout schedules
$1 - club
$1 - cover glow equipment.  If / when enough money was collected this $1 would stop being collected.  It may be a situation where we just don't collect one week, or where we stop collecting for the rest of the series, etc.  I would buy some higher quality glow sticks from Amazon instead of the cheap crap from Dollar General.  The models I was looking at were nearly $1 per stick.
$1 - Optional Ace Fund.  Would consider rolling the PDGA league ace fund through this glow series.

For courses options:

WyCo - I like how the baskets are close to the road so someone can drive around in a car and place glow sticks on before the round starts.

Rosedale - seems to be an easy glow course, but what makes me hesitant is how busy this course is.

Swope - I like Swope, but Swope at night makes me nervous.

SMP - I think glow here would be really fun, but I really dispise their strong stance on no alcohol and nazi like approach to dogs and leashes.

PC - little leary, back 9 would be a pain to find a disc if it went into the woods at night.

We would start at 6pm.

As info, Sept 10 sunset is 7:35.  October 29 sunset is 6:21.

KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

BenC

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: September and/or October Wednesday glow?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 11:07:59 AM »
Great idea, I am only seeing one Missouri course.  ???  Swope is a great glow courses.  I know it is probably a pain for you to get over to Blue Springs or Legacy.

Aaron

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 12:14:49 PM »
P Hill is a great glow course. But it is alittle east.
Calm down, this is just for fun.

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 02:05:57 PM »
For me, Blue Springs is a jaunt.  Takes me 70 minutes to get home from there.
Legacy is not too bad.

Forgot about P. Hill - dough!

KCWaldo

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 02:27:57 PM »
I would be interested in a course like SMP.   PC would work ok if you played from a temp pad after 12 to 14's basket and then added a temp hole between 16 and 17.

Granted I have never played a glow round before, but would those $3 solar power path lights work to stick in the basket.  They put off a decent amount of light and would only cost $54 once and be reusable. 
Duane Waldman

PDGA# 59362
KCFDC# 1598

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 02:37:46 PM »
I would be interested in a course like SMP.   PC would work ok if you played from a temp pad after 12 to 14's basket and then added a temp hole between 16 and 17.

Granted I have never played a glow round before, but would those $3 solar power path lights work to stick in the basket.  They put off a decent amount of light and would only cost $54 once and be reusable.

I like both of these ideas. 

What do others' think?

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 08:01:41 PM »
Duane, I have seen those $3 lights sitting on top of baskets before.

Do most have some sort of switch on them?  These did:

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Creations-JB5629-Solar-Powered-Accent/dp/B002X8X8UG/ref=sr_1_23?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1408496189&sr=1-23&keywords=solar+light+switch

What I'm wondering is, if I charge them the day before glow league, but don't have a way to turn them off, they will run out sitting in the trunk of my car during the day of league itself.  I work in a 10-story building, I'm not able to just let them sit outside while I'm at work.

Any thoughts?

these industrial grade sticks are 10 for $10

http://www.amazon.com/Cyalume-SnapLight-Industrial-Sticks-Duration/dp/B004NBZLJ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-1&keywords=glow+sticks

KCWaldo

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:36:01 PM »
The ones I have that I got from home depot have a switch.
Duane Waldman

PDGA# 59362
KCFDC# 1598

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 11:55:18 PM »
I think Lakeside Hills in Olathe would be a fun glow course. Pretty open for the most part. I know Tom uses PC and Birdland on Monday night glow throughout the winter.

I'm wondering why you need lights on the baskets? Is it only to be aware of what location the basket is in? I am just curious. I've never played on lit up baskets until the MAC glow doubles with the blacklight chains, (Which was cool except if you were facing one of the lights, then you were blinded by it.) Never really felt like it was a necessity for the basket to be lit. Just my 2 cents. I would definitly be interested in playing glow on Wednesdays on the nights I am available.
PDGA 39363

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 07:56:03 AM »
True glow is played without lights on the baskets.  Just sayin'
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 08:09:19 AM »
'something stupid silly'

did you look up glow in the dictionary?  what does that even mean or matter?  It's all for fun right? who cares if you put lights or glow sticks on it.  Or carry a flashlight or god forbid use it. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:20:41 AM by eeastwood »

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 08:36:04 AM »
Wowzers Eastwood.  Sorry to have offended you!  Heaven forbid I give my personal opinion on how I play glow disc golf! 

Go back to bed and get a few more hours of sleep hombre.

Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

BenC

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 08:50:18 AM »
'something stupid'

did you look up glow in the dictionary?  what does that even mean or matter?  It's all for fun right? who cares if you put lights or glow sticks on it.  Or carry a flashlight or god forbid use it.

glow

noun
a light emitted by or as if by a substance heated to luminosity; incandescence.

brightness of color.

a sensation or state of bodily heat.

a warm, ruddy color of the cheeks.

warmth of emotion or passion; ardor.

verb (used without object)
to emit bright light and heat without flame; become incandescent.

to shine like something intensely heated.

to exhibit a strong, bright color; be lustrously red or brilliant.

(of the cheeks) to exhibit a healthy, warm, ruddy color.

to become or feel very warm or hot.

to show emotion or elation:
"to glow with pride."

Dictionary.com

That's a definition of glow. True glow should have something lighting the basket to give it an incandescent look and taping lights to the top of a disc doesn't make it glow, it just makes it easier to find.  Very little, of what happens during a night round can be considered glow.

It's a great idea Rob.

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 11:13:55 AM »
Jordan, I didn't take offense to your opinion, I was just giving my own.  I AM grumpy today and I knew you could take some healthy ribbing.  I have been quiet on her lately and I haven't stirred the pot recently.  Sorry.  I didn't mean stupid, how about silly?

Now how about the victory by Paul McBeth or the white hot Royals?

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 11:43:36 AM »
Glow: the moon is glowing and your discs are glowing. Setting up and tearing down a lighting system on each basket, every league is a pain in the butt. Let's get real. The solar lights arent bright enough to even mess with. Lighting the baskets also attracts more attention.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:19:13 PM by Utz »
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831