Author Topic: Friday Traveling League - 10/25/2014 Saturday - Paradise 54 8am  (Read 3288 times)

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Friday Traveling League - 10/25/2014 Saturday - Paradise 54 8am
« on: October 22, 2014, 09:35:55 AM »
Second annual Paradise 54 at smithville lake this Saturday weather will be perfec. $5  per round. Payout andextras.  See ttournament threadfor  moreiinformation. 

If you can't make it,  go to independence disc golf day and helpkick  off their new course and grow our sport.
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406
2012 KCFDC tag: 217
2013:            DD:           Beer League:
2014: 48

Frankenstu

Re: Friday Traveling League - 10/25/2014 Saturday - Paradise 54 8am
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 02:19:02 PM »
So nothing on Friday of course. 

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 08:15:08 AM »
practice your putting on Friday, spend time with your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend . . . rest. You will need it!
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »
25 total players out today . . . 20 played all three rounds on the most beatiful day of the year at the most beautiful disc golf complexes in the world! PARADISE 54

I have payouts and several tags. I will be at Rosedale at half time and about 15-20 minutes after the Chief's game. Contact me if you want to make other arrangements. (text, phone, facebook, forum, pm)

WH      BC      BT       total        pay     KCFDC
Jaimie Danger Berry   63       46       56   =  163        $65        #9
Das Loomis                54     (59.6)   53   =  166.3      $50       NT
Zeke Henry                62       48       59  =   169        $47.50   #10
Kevin Zane                60      (59.6)   54  =  173.3      $40        #12 
Kevin Weiss               63        54      58   =  175        $15        #22 DD#5
Anthony ?                  63        56      59   =  178       $5          #43
Jon  ?                        64        56      58   =  178        $5         #65  (retrieve from Heath)
Dave Jamison            66        53      60   =   179      $7.50       NT
Heath Kinton             66        54       59  =   179         0         #71  (retrieve from Travis)
Travis Corporon         66        56      59   =   180         0         #81  (retrieve from Thomas) DD10
Thomas ?                  66       53      62    =   181        $7.50    #109 (retrieve from Andrew)
Andrew Stomps         62       57      63    =   182        $7.50    #114 (retrieve from Mike K.)
Mike Kruegger           66       59      61    =   186          0         #133 (retrieve from Duane) DD22
Duane Waldman        70       60      58    =   188          0         #242 (retrieve from Jeff W.)
Jeff Woldron              71       55      65    =   191          0         #257 (retrieve from Harold) DD75
Bill ?                         70        58      64   =   192          0           NT
Harold Berciunas        70       59      65    =   193          0          #264 (retrieve from Ryan K) DD117
Ryan Keck                 67       59      67    =   194           0         #273  (retrieve from Chris M))
Chris McKee              71        61      64    =   196          0          #319    (Harold has this)  DD150
Liz Borgman              81        72      77    =   230        $15         NT
Zack?                       99         72     82    =    263          0           NT
Tony Todd               (70.6)    56      62    =    190.6       0         (NT)
Travis Detwieller      (70.6)    55      66    =    193.6       0          (NT)

(course not played so players recieved average of all scores on that course +2 strokes) Totals on these only for tags.

Payouts include each round payouts and overall payouts. (those who did not play all three were not eligible for overall payouts)

Liz won women's division (only woman playing).

I have payouts and several tags. I will be at Rosedale at half time and about 15-20 minutes after the Chief's game. Contact me if you want to make other arrangements. (text, phone, facebook, forum, pm)

Dynamic Disc vouchers are pending.

Please note the mess up in tags . . . please attempt prompt contact and retrieval of your proper tags. (Sorry for the mess up, part caused by early departures and fatigue by TD)

Next year we will do several things differently (better organization) Tags turned in, specific start times, TD that is not playing . . .

Other suggestions?

PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406

AStomps

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 12:17:06 PM »
I'm gonna try to meet you at halftime Harold

MK

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 05:45:23 PM »

Next year we will do several things differently (better organization) Tags turned in, specific start times, TD that is not playing . . .

Other suggestions?

Harold,

First, i want to say thanks for running this!  it really was a good time and the courses up there are fantastic.
Second, though i am definitely a newbie, i would like to make some suggestions...

1.  Specific start times!  Yes, you already said that, and i know that you try to be all things to all people, but that just stressed you out and took away from your game.  It would be better for you and all involved if you had specific start times for each of the three rounds.  I know that some people wanted to get rounds in early, but that's not fair to you as the TD because you have to deal with that. 

2.  Take "pre-registrations" or at least get a feel for who might be there.  that way, the day before you can start to put together cards.  Have people email you, post to Forum, call you, text you, or whatever, just to give you an idea ahead of time.

3.  Print off or grab a bunch of local score cards.  they can be printed off at https://www.claycountymo.gov/@api/deki/files/4977/=score_cardsAflat_Page_2.jpg and that will let you start doing cards the day or night before, then adjusted in the morning.

4.  Have a brief players meeting and describe the OOB and drop zones (if any--there is one hole on Blackthorn that could have a drop zone, next to the pond) just to clarify it for everyone.

5.  I know it's cheesy, but do players cards.  This again can be done ahead of time and makes it easier to organize at the end.

6.  Get an assistant for the event!  You should be able to play even as a TD--just have someone help you and arrange for the assistant ahead of time.  Doing that can help with players cards, scorecards, adding, taking money, etc.  Just whatever you need done to expedite the event.

7.  Have a specific process for distributing tags and winnings if people leave early spelled out ahead of time.

8.  Suggest people bring lunch!  You may have done this, but a lot of people didn't bring lunch.

9.  Explain the honor system for parking ahead of time.  I don't know if anyone got a ticket, but just make it an FYI for people.

Just thinking that the more than can be done ahead of time to prepare the better it would be.

Thanks again!

Mike
Mike Krueger
KCDFC #1692
PDGA #67309
KCFDC PDGA Traveling League Director

Frankenstu

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 08:37:13 AM »
Harold,
  I was out there on Friday and nobody showed.  What's up?

Just kidding.  Wow, what an ambitious undertaking for one person.  Congrats on pulling it off.  Wish I could have been there.  Hope you had some fun to.

You know the old saying...No good deed goes unpunished.

Great Job!

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 08:41:13 AM »
another big thank you to Harold, not just for the P54, but for FTL in general. I appreciate letting some groups get in the 3 rounds in time to meet other Saturday obligations. I also appreciate the weather you dialed up this year as last year - perfect. great to see all 3 courses in use. seems like there was a great turnout for 8 am, other TD's should take notice, those of us that are serious about this game don't mind an early start especially when daylight is at a premium, and for those that have a tough time getting up early and driving an hour to make it by 8, thanks for being flexible to let those golfers get in. FTL is really for the players, and P54 showcased that. I think that strict assigned courses and tee times for rounds 2&3 would have messed up the flow.
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

MK

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 09:50:17 PM »
After thinking about it again, Jami has a good point about the flexibility-at least to some extent.  There might be a way to balance that flexibility...  I played with Harold the first round and he was not his usual self just because he had so much to take care of.  If he's going to go to all this work, i sure hope that he can play and play like he usually does. 

So an idea:  the good folks that want to play three rounds quickly make arrangements ahead of time.  maybe there could be a "speedy card" or two that have made arrangements before-they can arrange the 3 or 4 people on the card, can pay their five bucks per round all at once, turn in tags, and make arrangements to drop off score cards when they are done, that might make it easier on Harold so he can relax and enjoy his day. 

Also, set times in general would help people who can't make it to the first round but could make it to rounds 2 and/or 3, since they would know when to show.  Also, folks who were late also put stress on Harold--he was trying to accommodate them, which was hard for him to do.  If there are time certain starts, that will make people be on time, which really shouldn't be too much to ask for an event like this.  I mean, if they show up at 8:30 and the cards have left--at least they know they can play casual until round 2 starts at 11:00 or whatever the time might be set at.

That seems like a good way to balance things and be flexible for those who are on time and need to get moving, and at the same time let Harold not have to worry about people who are showing up late for the start plus make it easier for people to come up and play later rounds.  I know some people who thought about coming up later but didn't know the start times, and so were reluctant to drive all that way.

Again, i am just a newbie donating money to other players-just tossing ideas out there to try and help Harold!
Mike Krueger
KCDFC #1692
PDGA #67309
KCFDC PDGA Traveling League Director

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 11:25:25 PM »
Harold has and always will do an awesome job at making this sport fun and competitive in a very friendly manner.  He was one of the first people I met playing league.  An awesome disc golfer with an awesome passion for the sport.  What he gives and offers goes above and beyond.  I really wish I could have played this past weekend but had other commitments.  Those three tracks are awesome and challenging. 

Here is a guy who not only started a weekly YEAR ROUND travelling league, but started an annual tournament.  Not to make a buck or for a pat on the back, but because he simply enjoys it and the disc golf community.  Whatever needs to be done to make sure it stays that way, should be.  To hear he was overloaded with some bs at his own tournament is more frustrating than throwing backhand over the pond at pc with a 40 mph wind out of the North while you're covered in burrs and have a tick stuck on your ass.

I can't count how many times I've seen him give people who are new to the game some discs from his trunk at a local track.  Then he goes into detail how to throw them.  Then he plugs the club and other tracks, websites, events, etc.  The guy is beaming with energy when doing so.  That's what makes this community great! 

He's also open to suggestions or ideas.  He values your input.  That's a community.  At the very least, he should get out of it what he puts into it; which is to enjoy the game.
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 05:16:01 AM »
Thanks friends,

Thanks for the props! I do play my worst golf on FTL!

I will write down all those good ideas, and hopefully next year's Paradise 54 will be much smoother. I also think that those ideas and this experience will make FTL's run smoother and still be flexible, relaxed and fun for all.

I still have some payouts and a few tags. (I actually have most of the tags into the right peoples' hands!). If you have not recieved yours pm, text, or facebook me. I will be out and about this week and also at FTL Friday.

I am sending a Scott at Dynamic Discs a list of all those who played all three rounds. A BIG thank you to Scott and DD for providing you with a $10 voucher/discount that you can pick up at the store. Show your love to them. I am pretty sure they will be more involved next year.

Thanks to Dick Parker as well, although he couldn't pull of any sponsorship this year, he was very encouraging and wanted to be involved. And specifically shout out for the challenging and beautiful design for those three wonderful courses all in one local!
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 05:56:31 AM »
List of names of those who played all three rounds has been PM'd to Scott Reek. You should be able to redeem at the store.

There were three folks that I didn't get last names for . . . please get them to me, if it is you, or you know them.

Jon
Bill
Zac
(all played together all three rounds)

Thanks.
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 06:13:30 AM »
After thinking about it again, Jami has a good point about the flexibility-at least to some extent.  There might be a way to balance that flexibility...  I played with Harold the first round and he was not his usual self just because he had so much to take care of.  If he's going to go to all this work, i sure hope that he can play and play like he usually does. 

So an idea:  the good folks that want to play three rounds quickly make arrangements ahead of time.  maybe there could be a "speedy card" or two that have made arrangements before-they can arrange the 3 or 4 people on the card, can pay their five bucks per round all at once, turn in tags, and make arrangements to drop off score cards when they are done, that might make it easier on Harold so he can relax and enjoy his day. 

Also, set times in general would help people who can't make it to the first round but could make it to rounds 2 and/or 3, since they would know when to show.  Also, folks who were late also put stress on Harold--he was trying to accommodate them, which was hard for him to do.  If there are time certain starts, that will make people be on time, which really shouldn't be too much to ask for an event like this.  I mean, if they show up at 8:30 and the cards have left--at least they know they can play casual until round 2 starts at 11:00 or whatever the time might be set at.

That seems like a good way to balance things and be flexible for those who are on time and need to get moving, and at the same time let Harold not have to worry about people who are showing up late for the start plus make it easier for people to come up and play later rounds.  I know some people who thought about coming up later but didn't know the start times, and so were reluctant to drive all that way.

Again, i am just a newbie donating money to other players-just tossing ideas out there to try and help Harold!

Over the years of running PC league, Shawnee mission Leagyue, Wyco league, and GLOW, I have found that running the league typically throws me off my normal average around 2 to 3 strokes.... ;D

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 08:14:55 AM »
Those three tracts are awesome and challenging. 
Figured you would want to 'nail' the right spelling/choice of word.   ;D
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 09:15:31 AM »
Those three tracts are awesome and challenging. 
Figured you would want to 'nail' the right spelling/choice of word.   ;D

Dang!  I did not get a 100% on my spelling test.  I actually nodded off typing that.  Did someone put a game camera outside my home and see me sleeping?

Next time I'll get it wright. 
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."