Author Topic: New Years Day Triples at Swope  (Read 5269 times)

Skyhawkmd

• Am Poster
  • NOT a Professional Disc Golfer
    • View Profile
New Years Day Triples at Swope
« on: December 08, 2014, 11:41:28 AM »
It's the 3rd year for New Years Day random draw triples. This year is going to be different, it's NOT going to be at Rosedale, it's going to be at Swope this year and there's going to be a $5 buy in. $1 ace fund optional. 100% pay out to the top 3 teams, instead of having 2 big groups like last year. We will draw cards for partners. Get your team find another team to play with and find a tee, start at 12:30. If no one hits an ace we will have CTP and pay out top 2. Sign up at 12:00 tee 12:30. We had 30+ show up last year and I hope to see more this year.
Matt Dixon
The Used Car Factory INC.
Buddys Service Center
3035 SW US 40 Hwy E.B.
Blue Springs, MO. 64015
PDGA #55098

Crispian

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New Years Day Triples at Swope
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 05:21:41 PM »
So we need to come in groups of three? Not sure how this works.
Crispian Lynn Paul PDGA #67456
Kansas City Disc Golf Diva
Former KCFDC Board Secretary
KCFDC Newsletter
crispianpaul@hotmail.com

Play disc golf. Move around. It's cool.

gleauzzzinier

• Am Poster
  • please stop talking while people are throwing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 07:07:42 PM »
Come alone or in groups. Draw for teams of three. Play in groups of six.

mfenton

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 07:12:24 PM »
We will draw cards for partners

Looks like random draw. Not pick your partner...

Crispian

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 09:01:18 PM »
Thanks!
KCFDC Newsletter
crispianpaul@hotmail.com

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 08:30:04 AM »
Will the New Years' tradition of playing the course backwards also be implemented?  Two flags easily marks the tee area...
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 08:51:05 AM »
That was for the Roll it back and do it over at rosedale, where you had it backwards and had to roll your first shot.  I miss that silliness.

OTTO?

Right, like Otto reads these things.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 09:57:09 AM »
Before moving here in 1992, Lynne and I would attend the Backing it Out and Rolling it Over New Year's Day celebration put on by Dave "Dog" Underwood. You'd "back out" the old year by playing Rosey backwards, and then "roll in"  the New Year by having to throw either rollers or tomahawks. (I think you had to putt upside down as well). Dog would always have a big batch of hot spiced rum, which later became a tradition for Ice Bowl that continues to this day.  Several people ran it after Dog, including Otto. I ran it a couple of times as well. One year there was snow, which kind of put a hurt on the "rolling it over" portion, and I believe the second round was played down under. And that is today's historical review, subject to the shortcomings of long-term memory.

That was for the Roll it back and do it over at rosedale, where you had it backwards and had to roll your first shot.  I miss that silliness.

OTTO?

Crispian

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 10:08:20 AM »
Before moving here in 1992, Lynne and I would attend the Backing it Out and Rolling it Over New Year's Day celebration put on by Dave "Dog" Underwood. You'd "back out" the old year by playing Rosey backwards, and then "roll in"  the New Year by having to throw either rollers or tomahawks. (I think you had to putt upside down as well). Dog would always have a big batch of hot spiced rum, which later became a tradition for Ice Bowl that continues to this day.  Several people ran it after Dog, including Otto. I ran it a couple of times as well. One year there was snow, which kind of put a hurt on the "rolling it over" portion, and I believe the second round was played down under. And that is today's historical review, subject to the shortcomings of long-term memory.

OTTO?

I'd be screwed as my rollers are usually and accident and my tomahawks are an emergency only fling out of the shiy.
KCFDC Newsletter
crispianpaul@hotmail.com

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 11:41:24 AM »
I have an UnderDOG disc from Wide Open 1992, XD.  Thanks for the note, I remembered it being a back it out something and rolling something.  I had some fun playing it for certain, couldn't remember the exact plan.  Otto was the last to attempt it I believe.  Hence my reference to him.  Nice to know not only the history of that, but also the Spiced Rum tradition!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 12:57:58 PM »

OTTO?

Two of my favorite things about winter golf in KC:
 * Yaj's DU DuBs
 * Playing Rosie backwards on Sundays, with the Vets!!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Skyhawkmd

• Am Poster
  • NOT a Professional Disc Golfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 03:17:54 PM »
I though about doing it at Rosedale but Swope hasn't seen any love since the Roc vs Buzz so it just makes since to do it there.  Plus we are going to play all short pads for this event there hoping for lots of aces.  Maybe next year we will return to Rosie and play it backwards.  I'm really hoping for a big turn out.   
Matt Dixon
The Used Car Factory INC.
Buddys Service Center
3035 SW US 40 Hwy E.B.
Blue Springs, MO. 64015
PDGA #55098

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 03:46:21 PM »
I have an UnderDOG disc from Wide Open 1992, XD.  Thanks for the note, I remembered it being a back it out something and rolling something.  I had some fun playing it for certain, couldn't remember the exact plan.  Otto was the last to attempt it I believe.  Hence my reference to him.  Nice to know not only the history of that, but also the Spiced Rum tradition!

Cool thing is Underdog started playing again this last year. Sidenote: he got Paul Ecklund into the game. Thanks to Jack, the spiced rum tradition, which got transfered to the Ice Bowl by Lynne and Kelly, continues.

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 04:02:02 PM »
The biggest problem with the back it out portion at Rosedale is that ... it's at Rosedale. The park is very busy and it can get a little dicey. I guess if you rid of blind holes like 10-9 it would be ok.

The last year we did the back it out roll it over event, Otto, myself, and a few others were practicing it with little to no one at the park and while practicing 10-9, supposedly, I hit a young lady who was standing next to the basket with her boyfriend... who I found out later was Tom Mollencamp. We thought we heard someone yell but never saw anyone and went about our business. A couple years later I was at a club meeting and Tom was there and we were chatting and I brought up the event and how I thought I hit someon and that we thought we had heard someone yelling at us and he said. "That was you?? I was so pissed off at whoever threw that disc. We had to leave..." and blah blah blah. Suffice to say, I apologized and vowed to never throw that hole again.

Great story, I know.
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

MK

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 06:04:13 PM »
As a newbie I have no idea what the set up would be exactly but it has got me thinking that I want to play Rosie backasswards or a variety of it.  I think I'd have to do it in the middle of the night.

18 pad to 16 basket.
17 pad to 15 basket.
16 pad to 14 basket.
15 pad to 13 basket.
14 pad to 12 basket.
13 pad to 11 basket.
12 pad to 10 basket.
11 pad to 9 basket.
10 pad to 8 basket.
9 pad to 7 basket.
8 pad to 6 basket.
7 pad to 5 basket.