Author Topic: Charitable Giving as a part of events  (Read 4037 times)

MK

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Charitable Giving as a part of events
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 08:46:04 PM »
People love to play the lottery (think ace fund) but are pissy about a voluntary donation to charity?
Mike Krueger
KCDFC #1692
PDGA #67309
KCFDC PDGA Traveling League Director

Mike Hyzer

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 09:34:03 PM »
People love to play the lottery (think ace fund) but are pissy about a voluntary donation to charity?

Did you miss the part where Mother Teresa over here suggested that the "charity" be tacked on in such a manner so that the entrants would be unaware of it? Yeah, that sounds voluntary like a MFer. ::)

MK

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 09:43:18 PM »
By the way, yes I know that an ace combines skill and chance whereas a lottery is pure chance.  So yes for me it is an unwise investment.  For others it might be a smart use of a dollar.  That said, when doing the math, and considering the general rate of return on the investment, it's probably a poor investment for most and benefits those with the most skill.

Oh and yet like Joe at Walmart I am an arse if I don't contribute to the ace fund and lose face in the community not just to a random cashier.

On a more serious note, a voluntary contribution is only one way to encourage people to donate.

Two potential other options:

Ace fund (speaking of):  for discrete events if no aces are hit, money goes to charity.  For mini series that has a roll over, a per cent goes to charity and the rest rolls over (if no aces are hit of course).  So a per cent of ace fund for the mighty mo ace fund (only the funds collected there) would go to charity the rest rolls over.

Player packs:  for us ams, maybe there could be an option to upgrade the player pack to a better disc for 5 bucks or whatever and a dollar goes to charity.  People seem to be much more willing to give if they get return.  If we incentivize giving, maybe people would be more likely to give.  I think something akin to this was done to help at Stocksdale Park.
Mike Krueger
KCDFC #1692
PDGA #67309

MK

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 09:46:19 PM »

Did you miss the part where Mother Teresa over here suggested that the "charity" be tacked on in such a manner so that the entrants would be unaware of it? Yeah, that sounds voluntary like a MFer. ::)

Looked again.  Still don't see it.  I see her say voluntary several times though.
Mike Krueger
KCDFC #1692
PDGA #67309

Mike Hyzer

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 10:59:58 PM »

Looked again.  Still don't see it.  I see her say voluntary several times though.

The post in question was edited.

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 11:58:30 PM »

Probably edited because the initial wording was twisted from someone who has a sincere and positive idea into someone with a hidden agenda.  The lady initiates very logical and meaningful discussions and then this is where it ends up? 

Money is the root of all that is evil.  Don't let a buck define your character because someday any of us could be the person who needs help.

The mysoginistic undertone that surfaced by calling her Mother Teresa is also not really a good way for an organization to draw volunteers.
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

Mike Hyzer

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 11:11:25 AM »
Look at you with the white knighting. Isn't that sweet...

Look there's nothing I or anyone has ever said on here that leads to less volunteering. People might use it as a convenient excuse (one that I'm happy to provide, BTW) but the truth is they arent volunteering because they don't feel like it and that's the end of it. The ones that get out and volunteer do so no matter what someone posts on a message board. The ones that use what's posted on a message board as an excuse not to volunteer can choke on a bag of dicks anyway.

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 12:21:37 PM »
Look at you with the white knighting. Isn't that sweet...

Look there's nothing I or anyone has ever said on here that leads to less volunteering. People might use it as a convenient excuse (one that I'm happy to provide, BTW) but the truth is they arent volunteering because they don't feel like it and that's the end of it. The ones that get out and volunteer do so no matter what someone posts on a message board. The ones that use what's posted on a message board as an excuse not to volunteer can choke on a bag of dicks anyway.

Agreed on the volunteers.  I am one of the dick chokers who refuses to pick up after someone shat in the corner because they are too lazy to drag their bag to the can.

But I am also the dick choker who believe in treating people with respect.  Especially women.   Especially when it involves a positive idea to benefit those less fortunate. 

Did you hack Sony?

Mike Hyzer

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 12:41:59 PM »

But I am also the dick choker who believe in treating people with respect.  Especially women.   Especially when it involves a positive idea to benefit those less fortunate. 

Meh, I don't care for social workers or anyone who uses their otherwise-useless occupation as an excuse to pry into other peoples' business.

Did you hack Sony?

Dude, they hacked themselves. The Chinaman is not the issue here.

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 02:49:05 PM »
I'm gonna be crazy and address the original topic  ;)

I get the feeling that those of us who give on an annual basis already have the charities we want to support. I like to see my dollar go as far as possible and am quite picky about to whom I donate. Having said that, the KCFDC does state in its mission that it supports charity events such as Ice Bowl. It also states the desire for competition. For example, FLHW is great event, but I never went into it thinking about winning. I was there to play and give money to a cause.

Our mission:
     To provide an exceptional disc golf experience in Kansas City while focusing on competition, conservation, education, partnerships, and philanthropy. We strive to make disc golf attractive to all local players, help our parks, and entice others to visit!

The KCFDC does this via:
Volunteers
Partnerships with Our Neighborhood Associations
Sponsoring Disc Golf Events
Course Maintenance
Relationships with City and County governments
Charity donations

Crispian

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 05:25:04 PM »

If you'd read my original post before I edited it, I edited for misspelling. Not ONCE EVER did I suggest tacking on funds without anyone's knowledge. And since you chose to call me Mother Teresa, let me address that, yes, I am a social worker and social work ethics and my own personal morals, include informed consent which means you don't ever do anything without that person's knowledge and consent. Thanks to all of you, even detractors, who made salient, mature points without resorting  to personal attacks. Mike, I'm sincerely, and I mean it, sorry for whatever social worker wronged you or whatever has happened in your life to make you aggressive, abusive, insulting and misogynistic. #growthesport?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 06:33:48 PM by Crispian »
Crispian Lynn Paul PDGA #67456
Kansas City Disc Golf Diva
Former KCFDC Board Secretary
KCFDC Newsletter
crispianpaul@hotmail.com

Play disc golf. Move around. It's cool.

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 05:48:25 PM »

Did you hack Sony?

Dude, they hacked themselves. The Chinaman is not the issue here.
[/quote]

It's a metaphor. 

Crispian

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 06:42:32 PM »
By the way, Mike, can you please introduce yourself to me? Not so I can get into your face or your business but so I can subsequently avoid you? I don't need the bad juju rubbing off on me. I have brown hair, usually wearing glasses, green eyes and carry a DD bag.
Crispian Lynn Paul PDGA #67456
Kansas City Disc Golf Diva
Former KCFDC Board Secretary
KCFDC Newsletter
crispianpaul@hotmail.com

Play disc golf. Move around. It's cool.

Mike Hyzer

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2014, 02:30:59 PM »
By the way, Mike, can you please introduce yourself to me? Not so I can get into your face or your business but so I can subsequently avoid you? I don't need the bad juju rubbing off on me. I have brown hair, usually wearing glasses, green eyes and carry a DD bag.

LOL, big surprise there.

Utz

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2014, 05:49:50 PM »
I guess Crispian and The Nailer dont get it yet.. Its a forum. Be ready for a response. There will be many types. If you don't like it ignore the trolls. The White 'Night aka The Nailer.  Love it.

Crispian, you're a board member now. Remember that. Your responses and thoughts are amplified.

Charity is fine. I might donate if I know where the funds are going. Would rather play a whole tournament dedicated to a cause, e.g. Ice Bowl

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 05:59:49 PM by Utz »
KCFDC #831
A proud new cart golfer