Author Topic: Local ponds at coures.  (Read 3176 times)

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
Local ponds at coures.
« on: December 22, 2014, 08:05:58 AM »
So if I leave my disc in a pond because I have no way of getting it out a that time is its just considered abandon? So a disc in the woods is abandon also but most people call me back on them.

It free game to anyone that wants to come down with a rake to just steal it before I get to it?
When I informed the person they posted my disc on eBay they got all mad then defensive.
"Oops sorry didn't realize you were ever going to go fetch it.  Figured I'd do the dirty work and let someone get use out of it.  I'll go return it since you have plans on retrieving it yourself. I think I'll let you work for it like I did."

Which is fine and dandy but you pulled it out and call no one and just assumed it was abandon and promptly posted it on eBay to make some money...

Not sure who he is but his ebay user is dangerace4311.
Atleast a call or just leave it there so I can get it back.
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Local ponds at coures.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 09:43:31 AM »
Rule 1.  If it's not your disc, it's not your disc.
Rule 2.  If it's marked as someone else's disc, it's not your disc.
Rule 3.  If all  reasonable attempts to return the disc that is not your disc and marked as someone else's disc which you found have failed, it is now your disc.

The clown snagging your disc from the pond violated/skipped Rules 1 and 2.  He then attempted to sell it for monetary gain which could be considered a criminal act because the property was essentially lost/stolen.  Granted there is potential for he said/she said yet at the very least he should be labeled a crook and reported to eBay as well as blackballed in disc golf community.
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

Mike Hyzer

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 10:37:30 AM »
Rule 1.  If it's not your disc, it's not your disc.
Rule 2.  If it's marked as someone else's disc, it's not your disc.
Rule 3.  If all  reasonable attempts to return the disc that is not your disc and marked as someone else's disc which you found have failed, it is now your disc.

The clown snagging your disc from the pond violated/skipped Rules 1 and 2.  He then attempted to sell it for monetary gain which could be considered a criminal act because the property was essentially lost/stolen.  Granted there is potential for he said/she said yet at the very least he should be labeled a crook and reported to eBay as well as blackballed in disc golf community.

The people that have been caught selling lost/found discs typically do get shunned/blackballed in the disc golf community. But at the same time, they often aren't the types that play events or show up at club functions anyway, so they probably don't care about being shunned or blackballed.

Bottom line, if you don't want to see your disc end up on eBay or craigslist, don't leave it at the park. If you decide to give up your search or decide not to dive into a pond after your disc, of course you would hope the person that finds it would return it to you. But you should also be prepared to accept that the person that finds it might not return it to you.

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 03:56:21 PM »
It's considered LOST PROPERTY

LOST PROPERTY

Property is generally deemed to have been lost if it is found in a place where the true owner likely did not intend to set it down, and where it is not likely to be found by the true owner. At common law, the finder of a lost item could claim the right to possess the item against any person except the true owner or any previous possessors.

The underlying policy goals to these distinctions are to (hopefully) see that the property is returned to its true original owner, or "title owner."

Most jurisdictions have now enacted statutes requiring that the finder of lost property turn it in to the proper authorities; if the true owner does not arrive to claim the property within a certain period of time, the property is returned to the finder as his own, or is disposed of.

In Britain, many public businesses have a lost property desk, which in the United States would be called a lost and found.

Many exceptions may be applied at common law to the rule that the first finder of lost property has a superior claim of right over any other person except the previous owner.

A disc found IS NOT, Unclaimed Property, Mislaid Property nor Abandoned Property

Unclaimed Property - unclaimed bank accounts, stocks, insurance proceeds, utility deposits, un-cashed checks and other forms of "personal property" are reported first to the individual state's Unclaimed Property Office,

Mislaid property - Property is generally deemed to have been mislaid or misplaced if it is found in a place where the true owner likely did intend to set it, but then simply forgot to pick it up again

Abandoned property - Property is generally deemed to have been abandoned if it is found in a place where the true owner likely intended to leave it, but is in such a condition that it is apparent that he or she has no intention of returning to claim it.

* * * Finder didn't do the proper thing, contact the legit owner.

After GBO, and Trilogy I see local folks walking through the ponds, Jones East/West and ESPECIALLY PP, #10 through #12, picking up discs "found" there. I asked them what do they do with them and they said they clean them up and sell them online or to friends who play.

I replied, "But some of them have the owner's name/number on it.  Do you call any of them?

"Nope" they replied.  "If they wanted it that bad, why didn't they go in and get it like we did?"

"But it's during a tourney and there is a "lost and found" up at the check-in site?"

"So" was their reply.

"How would you feel if you lost a disc during a tourney and wanted it back?"

He replied, "Tell the dude to buy it online or come down here and pay me a couple of bucks..."

I left more than a lil p*ssed but didn't want to cause a scene there during my round.

* * *  Having said that, Hyzer is "right", again.  ;)

Don't wanna lose it?  Don't throw it where it COULD "get lost."  Take the safe route, lay up, putt out and walk away knowing you still have all your discs.

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 05:18:44 PM »
Doug, a worm like that deserves to have his bag kicked or put in a figure 4. 

EL KUJO

• Pro Poster
  • you dont need much, just a tiny taste
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 06:14:52 PM »
yes I have seen these guys with their giant PVC rake at Wilbur young a few times. they come out with grocery sacks full of discs and sell them all on ebay
if its anything worth doing, its worth doing right

~Josh Kujawa
   LD&CC 4 BRC/CC 4 WW
   KCFDC# 1760
   PDGA# 78277

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 12:03:16 AM »
yes I have seen these guys with their giant PVC rake at Wilbur young a few times. they come out with grocery sacks full of discs and sell them all on ebay

Do those dipshats sell the discs they find?  Saw them out at pc this summer.  Their device is clever but this is a little different than Golf Ball Paul's. 

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 08:24:17 AM »
Don't throw in the water.

If I lose one in the water and I am not willing to go in and get it or find something to pull it out, that means I gave up, therefore it is lost.  It is free game to someone else in my opinion.  I lost one in the pond at PC on Sunday.  Didn't feel like swimming, so whoever finds it, throw it well.

If it goes in the water, it was most likely a bad shot that you didn't commit to, therefore you didn't trust the disc anyway, so you need to be rid of it.

Also if someone is there at the time when you throw your shot in the water swimming for discs or raking, and gets your disc out for you....give them a couple $'s at least.  Because they saved you from having to go swimming.

Now discs in the woods or left in the fairways....that's a different story.  RETURN them to their owner.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:26:58 AM by white mccoy »
Just Joe
West Side 4 Life!!!!

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 03:00:19 PM »
We watched a guy with something very similar like this @ Black Hawk, Tulsa, OK Open, working all three ponds, with about a dozen or so already retrieve.  We played through without saying a word.   :-X

Obviously, it's not that expensive nor challenging to build either.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3789

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:07:59 PM by SteelerDoug »

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 03:19:55 PM »
Liberty parks and rec texted me today that some crazy dude was swimming yesterday in the pond and today there was "some hippie" on  a large piece of Styrofoam.  Why Stryofoam....well cause carrying a boat that far is way too much work when disc hunting.

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 05:50:27 PM »
Liberty parks and rec texted me today that some crazy dude was swimming yesterday in the pond and today there was "some hippie" on  a large piece of Styrofoam.  Why Stryofoam....well cause carrying a boat that far is way too much work when disc hunting.

That is priceless!!

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 10:56:02 PM »
Just saw this article about this very topic. This isn't Florida but I suspect the laws are similar.

http://discgolfaddiction.com/sell-my-disc-go-to-jail/
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 11:37:46 PM »
still a douche bag law, I say thank a squid - he may just give you discount and respond with kindness
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 09:07:13 PM »
still a douche bag law, I say thank a squid - he may just give you discount and respond with kindness

I must admit, I sure don't want to go into most of the ponds I've put discs in. Pretty nasty water and mud. I do think having a rake or something like that at larger tournaments and retrieving discs as a service to the players would be a nice touch. Let smaller events and casual players take their chances but when you pay a sizable entry fee why not have someone do their best to retrieve discs if possible for the players that paid the fee and drove the distance to attend? Obviously this wouldn't be expected but it would be a nice touch. Possibly even hire the squids with the talent and experience to do the deed for a fee. Come to think of it, in Hays at the Frontier Open there are frequently kids there ready to retrieve discs for players. They almost always make a healthy sum of cash for their trouble.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 07:14:52 PM »
Like all cephalopods, squid start their lives as paralarvae
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other