Author Topic: 2015 Midwest DOUBLES Championship - PDGA B Tier - April 19th - Lakeside  (Read 11656 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Midwest DOUBLES Championship - PDGA B Tier - April 19th - Lakeside
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 10:10:58 AM »
On Alternate shot, player A would drive, player B would take the upshot and player A would make the putt.  On the next hole Player B would drive and so forth.  This style format would not allow a player to throw 2x in a row.

Ok, so for clarification....as I know you get it as well.....

Alternate shot will be alternate shot on the hole as played, that alternate player would drive on the next hole.  The way it is worded, could be construed that you alternate every shot all the time was my only concern.  I get it, but others may not who haven't played in this format.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

MK

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 10:33:34 AM »
http://www.pdga.com/rules/rules-for-doubles

Alternate Shot

In Alternate Shot, only one sequence of throws is made on each hole. The team selects a player to throw the tee shot at the beginning of the round. The other player then throws from the subsequent lie, and play alternates in that fashion until the round is completed. Alternate Shot is closer to a singles format, where one partner can't bail the other out. If you miss a short putt, chances are good that you'll be driving the next hole.
If the wrong player on a team throws, another team must call it immediately, like a foot fault. The team receives a warning, and the correct player throws. Subsequent violations incur a one-throw penalty.
For any violation that requires a rethrow (stance violation, provisional throw), the same player throws.
Mike Krueger
KCDFC #1692
PDGA #67309
KCFDC Board Member

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 11:21:42 AM »
http://www.pdga.com/rules/rules-for-doubles
......Alternate Shot is closer to a singles format, where one partner can't bail the other out. If you miss a short putt, chances are good that you'll be driving the next hole........

Which is EXACTLY what I am asking Scott about.  in this exact scenario if you have a clearly better driving partner it will beneficial in many instances to allow that person to drive the next hole over a 1 stroke component.

Hence (and again this is just the way I used to run it when I did 6-6-6 format double events) you alternate shots, but you also alternate Drives as well.  We also did it this way in the ball golf/disc golf round.  That way everyone has to drive and use their drives accordingly at some point.  If you go to the model of every other shot, you could in theory have that long armer throwing it to the basket on every drive, and the other person putting in drop in's.  Not really creating the notion of using every person to balance the holes.

Now, this is just my own interpretation on how it will be played, and that is why I am just wanting to see some specific clarification on this stance.  You can alter it accordingly.

But I believe that the way Scott is saying he will it have it is straight on Alternate shot, which could mean that the entire series of 9 holes only one person could drive and one person would putt.  Just want to make sure I am getting it the way he wants it.  Which I think is this method.....not as I indicated.

Just as he has already indicated that on the Worst shot both players need to make it "In the Best Shot and Tough Shot formats, the second player does not throw if the first player has holed out." , this could also be clarified and hence my asking.  As long as it is consistent from beginning to end of the event that is fine, but just trying to grab clarification as well.

THe 6-6-6 format is one I used for the LS Doubles over the years, 1-6 Best Shot, 7-12 alternate shot, and 13-18 Worst shot.....IO love the idea all in all, just trying to point out an issue that I see when you really make it every other shot the entire time on alternate, it can create an unfair advantage very quickly......
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:27:20 AM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Shucky Ducky

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 11:42:11 AM »
I've always played it as an alternate shot to playout the hole but you also alternate the players on teeing off as well so you have to rely on both to throw good drives. Just my dos cents worth!

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 12:02:08 PM »
The pdga rules is how I've played alternate shot in the green country dubs twice in Tulsa. No player throws twice in a row. Jacks scenario that a team would intentionally miss a putt so the better driver could drive is a possibility, but the strokes would add up if they did it repeatedly. It is simpler to just play it as described...no player ever shots twice in a row.

Scott A Reek

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 01:01:06 PM »
This is how this event will be played.  When a team gets to Hole #10, they will decide who is driving from that pad and then there partner will throw the next shot.  No player will shoot 2x in a row.  The person who is driving is only decided on the 1st of hole of this format, after that, the players will alternate between players.

The pdga rules is how I've played alternate shot in the green country dubs twice in Tulsa. No player throws twice in a row. Jacks scenario that a team would intentionally miss a putt so the better driver could drive is a possibility, but the strokes would add up if they did it repeatedly. It is simpler to just play it as described...no player ever shots twice in a row.
Scott A Reek
Past KCFDC Board of Directors (President - Technology)
PDGA Kansas State Coordinator

2017 Kansas City Wide Open TD
2018 PDGA Pro Masters World Championships TD

PDGA# 12824
KCFDC #570

Scott A Reek

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 01:01:27 PM »
Registration is up to date
Scott A Reek

PDGA# 12824
KCFDC #570

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 11:05:59 PM »
This is how this event will be played.  When a team gets to Hole #10, they will decide who is driving from that pad and then there partner will throw the next shot.  No player will shoot 2x in a row.  The person who is driving is only decided on the 1st of hole of this format, after that, the players will alternate between players.

Coolio thanks for the clarification, and Tom I am not saying that the person would miss a putt per se, but if you do have that long driver that can get it to the pin on each hole, they will be teeing on every hole.

Scott has clarified it.  Every other shot, I just wanted to make absolutely sure! 

Thanks so much for taking time to answer it here.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Scott A Reek

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2015, 08:27:38 AM »
Thank you for asking.  This is the first time many people have seen a doubles event with different formats and its a learning experience for all to understand the differences.
Scott A Reek

PDGA# 12824
KCFDC #570

Crispian

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2015, 09:58:04 AM »
I'm sorry. I still don't get it... I understand player a drives, player b makes next throw, then player a until hole is finished. Still not clear on next hole. If player b finishes putt on the hole, does player a automatically drive on next hole or is it only alternate on hole by hole basis?
Crispian Lynn Paul PDGA #67456
Kansas City Disc Golf Diva
Former KCFDC Board Secretary
KCFDC Newsletter
crispianpaul@hotmail.com

Play disc golf. Move around. It's cool.

Scott A Reek

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2015, 10:54:04 AM »
Its simplest to remember a player will never throw 2x in a row.  Who ever drives, the partner will throw the next shot.  Whoever putts, there partner will drive the next hole.  If player A parks the hole, player B would make the putt and player A would drive again.  If player A throws it short, player B would make the upshot and Player A would make the putt and Player B then would drive the next hole. 
Scott A Reek

PDGA# 12824
KCFDC #570

Scott A Reek

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2015, 09:57:08 PM »
There are currently 43 teams registered and we can hold up to 54 teams, so not many left if you are planning on playing.
Scott A Reek

PDGA# 12824
KCFDC #570

Scott A Reek

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2015, 06:53:06 PM »
The Registration for the Midwest Doubles Championships is officially closed.  There are two team spots remaining that are reserved for Pro Teams.  However, if they are still available by the end of Wednesday 4/15, I will open them up to the waiting list.  If you are a Pro Team, you will need to add yourself to the waiting list and I will contact you.  If you are any other division and want to play, add yourself to the waitlist

http://dynamicdiscs.com/disc-golf-tournaments/2015/midwest-doubles-championships.html
Scott A Reek

PDGA# 12824
KCFDC #570

Phil Ellis

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 09:34:53 PM »
Curious, why is the event capped at 54 teams?  I realize it's 2x players, so if it's just a restriction on the permit, that makes sense.   Alternating shot should theoretically play at the same speed as a singles event, so hopefully the cap isn't based on presumption of slower pace of play?
PDGA #63028
KCFDC #1662
philellis1@gmail.com

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »
Valid "Inquisition?"  ;)