Author Topic: New Johnson County Park looking for suggestions for how to use the space  (Read 2596 times)

ptinkc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://end-of-the-web.com
"Please encourage KCFDC members and other disc golfers to provide comments regarding their desires to have  a disc golf course at the old Meadowbrook Country Club property that will be a new 88 acre Johnson County Park.  There is a public meeting today Tuesday the 10th and tomorrow Wednesday the 11th from 4-8:00 pm in the club house at 91st and Nall and the meetings are open to the public.  We will be taking park development suggestions at these meetings".

I just talked to Bill from the Johnson County Parks Department who is a disc golfer and he suggested having disc golfers and residents of JOCO to show up to have input in the direction of this new Park. Lets really show up in strong numbers to get a great disc golf course into the area.

Please pass the word around and could someone post this to the Facebook page! Thanks
Three discs' in the hand is better than twenty in the bag!

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Posted on Facebook page!
Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.

Valkyrie83

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
I would love for there to be a disc golf course there! Super close to where I live. I don't think I'll be able to attend the meetings however.  Is there any other way for me to show my support?
Anna Hare
KC Disc Golf Diva
KCFDC #1792
PDGA #80654
KCCC Disc Golf Division C Gold 2016
anna.hare@outlook.com

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
I would love for there to be a disc golf course there! Super close to where I live. I don't think I'll be able to attend the meetings however.  Is there any other way for me to show my support?

Ditto
Just Joe
West Side 4 Life!!!!

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Oh Man!!! Another one potentially?  That's how many "in the air" now?

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
Its times like this I wished I still lived in OP. A huge thumbs up to this!!!!!  :D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:33:21 PM by andyportwood »
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

Bitter79

• Am Poster
  • 175 Max Weight Boss
    • View Profile
Bad thing about it though Andy... We still do not have a "Championship Length" Disc Golf Course in OP. There will be 3 in Olathe once Scott is done at Heritage Park, and one in Lenexa. I hope the meetings went well, I wish I could attend as well, but JOCO P&R always has my support!

On a similar side note. For those who may like other forms of the game of golf, there might be a Foot Golf course going in around the OP area in 2016. I will give details when I know more.

ptinkc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://end-of-the-web.com
The Meeting went well. For those that are going today you just walk in and sit through a small presentation and/ or then walk into the other room and post it note disc golf on the Parks and Rec map and the big map in the middle of the room. For those not able to attend and that are residents of JOCO please contact Parks and Rec and your city councilman and let them know what you think should go there. Thanks again there were several people last night that attended.
Three discs' in the hand is better than twenty in the bag!

Valkyrie83

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
I've posted to the JOCO P&R site and e-mailed the OP council. Thank you for attending and giving these options for support! When will they make a decsion or how do we find out if the park will be used for disc golf?
Anna Hare
KC Disc Golf Diva
KCFDC #1792
PDGA #80654
KCCC Disc Golf Division C Gold 2016
anna.hare@outlook.com

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
They are aware of the programming possibilities with JoCo for certain.  We (KCFDC) have a long historical effort of working on development and plans for the courses there as well as success in their parks.  I know initially I believe myself and Jake were at the initial planning meetings for the 2020 plan-2002- (Heritage Park disc golf development to be included on the Master Plan-The course Scott is working on) and the current scenario of the disc golf course on SMP makes them very aware of the continued year round support the course receives.  They are aware of the growth we bring, and yesterday there was a clear indication of the acknowledgement that disc was high on the radar.  Many noticed as myself and Dirk were out throwing my discs on the golf course for certain.

Bottom line be positive in your communication with the goals.  Realization that the land available may not be enough to have a "championship length", but that is ok.  A well designed course that encourages participation at all levels is just as needed as the continuation of these "long" courses that deter the newer player from enjoying.

Not everyone wants to play on holes that average 350'-500'.  So the balance act of the land truly available for the use (if approved) plays a much more pivotal role in the size of the course, and ultimate the needs of the community.  I would venture to say that a smaller, challenging, well designed course can be just as advantageous in the neighborhood as a bomber course.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:31:58 AM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Foxhill and BVKS are really good examples of that.  Both fun and not terribly long.  Also, still challenging in a sense of what it makes you work on.
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Maybe you need to work on "over the water" more Nailer and let the other stuff alone for now.  ;)

Bitter79

• Am Poster
  • 175 Max Weight Boss
    • View Profile
They are aware of the programming possibilities with JoCo for certain.  We (KCFDC) have a long historical effort of working on development and plans for the courses there as well as success in their parks.  I know initially I believe myself and Jake were at the initial planning meetings for the 2020 plan-2002- (Heritage Park disc golf development to be included on the Master Plan-The course Scott is working on) and the current scenario of the disc golf course on SMP makes them very aware of the continued year round support the course receives.  They are aware of the growth we bring, and yesterday there was a clear indication of the acknowledgement that disc was high on the radar.  Many noticed as myself and Dirk were out throwing my discs on the golf course for certain.

Bottom line be positive in your communication with the goals.  Realization that the land available may not be enough to have a "championship length", but that is ok.  A well designed course that encourages participation at all levels is just as needed as the continuation of these "long" courses that deter the newer player from enjoying.

Not everyone wants to play on holes that average 350'-500'.  So the balance act of the land truly available for the use (if approved) plays a much more pivotal role in the size of the course, and ultimate the needs of the community.  I would venture to say that a smaller, challenging, well designed course can be just as advantageous in the neighborhood as a bomber course.

I agree Jack, I work for OP and live in south Johnson County, selfishly I just want a course close to work. Growing the game is more important for sure.

Although... since I am graduating with my BA in Business in May, anyone feel free to offer me a new career path that has an office next to WW or in Downtown so I can play Cliff at lunch. Might be open to Sporting offering me a Turf job as well near WyCo... balls in your court people!

Bitter79

• Am Poster
  • 175 Max Weight Boss
    • View Profile
Maybe you need to work on "over the water" more Nailer and let the other stuff alone for now.  ;)

He gets over the water fine in the winter....

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
"Ice skippn" is the pussy way a'cross.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:38:31 PM by SteelerDoug »