Author Topic: Kanza Krush, Ottawa, KS, May 23, 2015, C-Tier, Maverick Disc Golf  (Read 8674 times)

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Registration is now open for Kanza Krush, Ottawa, KS, May 23, 2015, C-Tier

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Kanza_Krush_2015

Facebook listing:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1589681831250055

Known sponsors:

Innova
Discmania
Defiance Beer
TriLion Studios
Maverick Disc Golf

We will be using two sets of tees.  Short tees for Juniors, Recreational, Rec Women, and Intermediate Women.  Possibly Adv. Grandmasters, not sure yet.  Long tees for everyone else.

Am Player's Pack will be a Discmania or Innova disc and a Innova Mini Driver (heavy weight mini)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:51:58 PM by robm »
Rob Martin
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
https://www.facebook.com/MaverickDiscGolf

dan howard

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Vivid Earth Tie Dyes
Re: Kanza Krush, Ottawa, KS, May 23, 2015, C-Tier, Maverick Disc Golf
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 09:43:44 AM »
Terrible course for a tournament, hope you've cleared this with Ottawa Parks. Very limited parking, no tee pads, a walking trail that gets plenty of traffic comes into play on 8 of the 18 holes and the kids playground can be hit with an errant shot on hole 9. Fun Fact: HeWho was the course designer.

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 10:06:45 AM »
Yes, I cleared it with the city.  That is always my first step.

Most courses have limited parking that cannot accomodate a full tourney.  Centennial Lawrence, Longview Perry, Blue Valley KCMO for example.  We'll deal with it.

Tee pads are taking care of by utilizing flags and allowing people to tee from grass besides the tee pad or behind tee pad.  Personally, I think the pads are no big deal when you look at the size comparred to the amount of space you have when you are driving from a lye in a fairway (directly behind your disc / marker, 11", etc.)  If it is really bothersome, you can use the marked natural pad.

We will have alternate tee pads.  Short for Junior, Rec, Rec Women, Int. Women and maybe Adv. Grandmaster.  Long for others.  Some of the long tees will be the walking trail.  It is Ottawa, not Central Park.  It isn't that busy.

Players and pedestrians will need to be careful regarding each other as with any tournament.  Both can manage.  It will be OK.

Tournaments I intend to run will not be 'normal' tournaments on normal courses using the same ol', same ol'.  Grow the sport by providing alternate options to the same old thing.  Some will like it, others won't.  Vanilla and chocolate options.

Defiance Beer returns as a sponsor.  Yum.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:14:07 AM by robm »
Rob Martin

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 10:11:49 AM »
TENTATIVE Tee Pad locations

1-5 Normal tee area for both
6 - Short tee is normal, Long tee will be marked area from walking path.
7 - Normal for both
8 - Short tee is normal, Long tee will be marked area from walking path.
9 - 13 Normal for both
14 - Normal tee area  is Long setting, Drop Zone near Mando will be the Short setting.
15 - 16 Normal for both
17 -TBD
18 - TBD but will probably move tee for both to the left side of the walking path.  Not sure yet.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:18:26 AM by robm »
Rob Martin

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 10:19:45 AM »
Most courses have limited parking that cannot accomodate a full tourney..... Blue Valley KCMO for example......

WTF?

Yeah I guess when we had close to 3000 people out there we didn't have parking? 

You make little sense at times...come play the course and see that there are roads all around with ample parking. before you start to comment on items that make no sense.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 10:37:37 AM »
Really Jack?  You must stalk me just to bust my rear.

The actual parking lot at BV is small.  However people park in the street.

The parking lots at Ottawa, Lawrence, and Perry are small, however people park in the street.  I was addressing the issue of very limited parking brought up by others.

Thank you for your concern.  I hope you have a fantastic weekend.

Thanks!
Rob Martin

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 10:38:14 AM »
We will have alternate tee pads.  Short for Junior, Rec, Rec Women, Int. Women and maybe Adv. Grandmaster.  Long for others.

We "AIN'T" wimps RoB. AdvGM can play longs.   ;)

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 10:40:12 AM »
We will have alternate tee pads.  Short for Junior, Rec, Rec Women, Int. Women and maybe Adv. Grandmaster.  Long for others.

We "AIN'T" wimps RoB. AdvGM can play longs.   ;)

Heehee.  I know, most AdvGM can kick my rear (along with Jack kicking my rear when he can find a chance to). 

I see DD Emporia sometimes puts GM's on short pads.  I'm open to discussion.
Rob Martin

dan howard

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Vivid Earth Tie Dyes
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »
You missed my point completely Rob. It's not about how the Kanza DGC will affect your tournament but how your tournament is going to affect Kanza DGC, the closest course to my house.

It doesn't seem like you gave much thought to my concerns so I'll take them up with the Ottawa Parks Dept, they may take them a little more seriously. I'm sure they are going to love your "not central park" quote.

Most courses have limited parking that cannot accomodate a full tourney.  Centennial Lawrence, Longview Perry, Blue Valley KCMO for example.  We'll deal with it.

Tee pads are taking care of by utilizing flags and allowing people to tee from grass besides the tee pad or behind tee pad.  Personally, I think the pads are no big deal when you look at the size comparred to the amount of space you have when you are driving from a lye in a fairway (directly behind your disc / marker, 11", etc.)  If it is really bothersome, you can use the marked natural pad.

We will have alternate tee pads.  Short for Junior, Rec, Rec Women, Int. Women and maybe Adv. Grandmaster.  Long for others.  Some of the long tees will be the walking trail.  It is Ottawa, not Central Park.  It isn't that busy.

Players and pedestrians will need to be careful regarding each other as with any tournament.  Both can manage.  It will be OK.

Tournaments I intend to run will not be 'normal' tournaments on normal courses using the same ol', same ol'.  Grow the sport by providing alternate options to the same old thing.  Some will like it, others won't.  Vanilla and chocolate options.

Thank you.

Zier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 09:38:53 PM »
Read as: I'm going to raise hell because I don't want a tournament at a course by my house? I don't know why this is turning to gripe on Rob. He's trying to address concerns and has done his best at past tournaments to work with locals to improve course flow for safety *SEE: Atchison/Damon Morgan*. Instead of complaining to the parks department and taking a quote totally out of context, why don't you offer to help with course flow to have a great tournament near your house. You wrote two sentences, all negative, and provided zero corrective feedback to improve the situation. I'm sure you do a lot for disc golf out there Dan, and I'm really not meaning this as a negative post. I just am tired of seeing posts turn into dog on Rob for trying to incorporate little used courses in tournament play.

You missed my point completely Rob. It's not about how the Kanza DGC will affect your tournament but how your tournament is going to affect Kanza DGC, the closest course to my house.

It doesn't seem like you gave much thought to my concerns so I'll take them up with the Ottawa Parks Dept, they may take them a little more seriously. I'm sure they are going to love your "not central park" quote.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:40:45 PM by Zier »

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 10:31:05 PM »
Steve the Quiz Berry - have we met?  What's your real name?  Mine is Rob Martin.
Rob Martin

Aaron

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 10:34:54 PM »
His name is Steve strawberry.
Calm down, this is just for fun.

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 10:37:06 PM »
Yes Dan, please contact the City of Ottawa. By the way, are you a resident?  Just asking because I have two Ottawa residents plus an employee of the Franklin County Convention and Visitors Bureau that is working with me on the tournament.
Rob Martin

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 10:42:54 PM »
Nice to meet you Steve. As long as there are a minimum of three Propogators, the PDGA ratings will be rated correctly per Chuck Kennedy, the main creator of the PDGA rating system. For greater detail on how the work, I would recommend contacting the PDGA rating committee. As far as the flow goes, for this course, having different tee pads will help the flow of play, give higher divisions greater challenges, while encouraging lower divisions with a more realistic experience for their playing level.  Thanks for asking.
Rob Martin

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 10:49:49 PM »
Steve Stransberry or Strawberry? 

Both the PDGA Am Worlds and the PDGA Pro Worlds used long and short tee pads both in 2013 and 2014. It does work. It will be ok.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:51:53 PM by robm »
Rob Martin