Author Topic: KCWO 2007  (Read 20751 times)

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
KCWO 2007
« on: February 06, 2007, 07:45:42 PM »
is it too early to get a thread for this year's wide open ???
putt, putt, give.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
Re: KCWO 2007
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 08:04:02 AM »
Not at all....Meetings have already started taking place to get the ball rolling.

From the sound of things Am's will get 5 rounds this year compared to 3 last year....so take Friday June 22nd off work!!
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 10:13:30 AM »
pretty fired up for this..

my 30th birthday is the weekend of the tournament, no better disc golf birthday present than that; now if my wife would only pay my entry fees

bp

Stitanic

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
What are the entry fees typically?

I am fairly novice player, don't quite have a year under my belt.  Is the KCWO out of my league?  I am not looking to win anything, but I also would not want to put a kink in the whole operation due to suckiness.
Over the line, Smokey! I'm sorry. That's a foul.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »
I thought I read that the entry fees last year were somewhere from $50-75.

Don't sweat being terrible; I've also played for less than a year.  I'll play intermediate and have a lot of fun!

bp

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 11:35:42 AM »
Skill level should not be a factor...there will be divisions suitable for everyone.  It is a National Tour event so you will have to be a PDGA member or you will have to purchase a $5 temp membership when you register.

It's definately a great oppurtunity to experience what a tourney is like and to get you even more addicted to the sport.  I joined the PDGA last year just to play the 2006 KCWO...and after that I traveled to 4 other tourneys because I loved playing in an event like that.

Speaking of which....there are about 12 of us headed to Fort Worth on Friday to play in the first National Tour event of the season (Z Boaz)....so keep an eye on your fellow golfers tearing it up in Texas!
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

andrew.jewett

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 06:02:28 PM »
I also joined the PDGA last year in order to be able to play in the KCWO. At that time, I had only been playing disc golf for about a year. I played in the Intermediate division. Played some of the worst golf of my life, but I had more fun playing in that tournament than anything since high school football games. Not only do I think you should play, I think that you should get as many of your friends as you possibly can to come out and play or even just watch as part of the gallery on Sunday for the final.

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 09:49:05 PM »
 The 25th Kansas City Wide Open is coming. It is old. Many of the KCWO7 steering committee are old too, just look at me. It is going to showcase the best KC metro has to offer. It won't be easy, but we have a good system that requires everybody to have a good time, no matter what the level. It requires volunteers, marketing, sponsors and enthusiasm, and some new blood. If you or any other young friend can help in any way, even if you are going to play, let us know.
Just think, some day you may be running the 50th Wide Open. Just cast my ashes at Swope. Wait a minute, I am only 52 that would make me 77, hell I could have a bionic arm by then, then I can whip your ass. Lord knows trees would be extinct, that would make driving much easier. I am serious, help now before it is too late. Look for kcwideopen.com to be updated soon.
Slim
Out
I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

BamBam

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
Yeah...looking to rip it up at the Wide open. The cashins are the man and im sure Dan will once again organize a platoon of volunteers to see to every detail.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 01:43:41 PM »
Just got back from TX with Z-Boaz and the A-Tier, not a National Tour event, but still pretty big field.  The Wide Open as an NT and an A-Tier you CAN NOT pay the extra $5 to get in.  You MUST BE A PDGA MEMBER TO PLAY IN THE WIDE OPEN.

All levels can play in this event, and yes bring your friends.  If you want to play for free, buy a tee-sign for a mere $300 and you get in the event.  Don't wanna buy a tee-sign?  Ask your boss to buy a sign for you, then come to see how it looks on the course, and take a picture, send it to them and let them know that it looked great on the course, then ask again next year and never tell them that they are paying your way!!  What a great way to play for free.  I get to play for the first time in 5 years, and I will find that tee sign sponsor, of course I bought one last year, your welcome Dick Parker for your entry, and I will probably buy another one this year!!

Head to KC folks for the best courses anywhere with the most diversity that you can find in one event, I dare you to find another.

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 04:03:50 PM »
What courses will I, as an advanced sandbagging master be playing, or has that information been determined yet? If it hasn't then allow me to offer my wish list......

Friday
round 1 Olathe
round 2 Wyco

Saturday
round 1 Rosey
round 2 WW

Sunday
only 1 round Swope 
That would be a very kewl schedule for me.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 04:10:51 PM »
I, as an advanced sandbagging master

I knew that.......   ;D

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

andrew.jewett

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 08:45:34 PM »
Olathe would be cool to play in the KCWO if, IN MY OPINION, the laid rope out over most of the holes. We need to raise the bar in competition where every single hole carries some decent weight in one's possible score.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 07:21:28 AM »
Rope sucks.

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 02:58:49 PM »
What courses will I, as an advanced sandbagging master be playing, or has that information been determined yet?

It hasn't been nailed down completely, but you will play 2 rounds Friday on one course, 2 rounds Saturday on a different course, and one round Sunday on a yet different course, so you'll get 5 rounds at 3 different courses.  The courses we will choose from will be Swope, Rosedale, Water Works, and Wyco.
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.