Author Topic: KCWO 2007  (Read 20343 times)

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KCWO 2007
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 03:20:12 PM »
What courses will I, as an advanced sandbagging master be playing, or has that information been determined yet?

It hasn't been nailed down completely, but you will play 2 rounds Friday on one course, 2 rounds Saturday on a different course, and one round Sunday on a yet different course, so you'll get 5 rounds at 3 different courses.  The courses we will choose from will be Swope, Rosedale, Water Works, and Wyco.

Sounds good. Why no Olathe, I mean we have tee boxes, baskets, trees and stuff.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 03:22:03 PM by Tom »

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 04:25:46 PM »
I would really like to see Olathe used atleast once also....

How many years has it been since it was part of the Wide Open?

Why is it considered the red headed step child of the KC area?

We added a bunch of distance with the back 4 hole reconfig....and added a pond on a hole, well in some cases 2 holes...hold on..I've seen discs go in the water from 14, 15, and 16.....what else do we have to do or add to make this course respected?  It's a ton better than the temp course they had set up for Z Boaz....longer and more difficult.

Shouldn't the Wide Open utilize all the courses that are part of KC...not necessarily all in one year, but atleast get them in there every other year.

Not to mention it brings in league funds all year round for the club....how many other courses do that???  Down Under.....that is IT!

Use it for the Am's if nothing else....they will love shooting under par in a tourney for once....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 04:35:30 PM by Andy »
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 05:55:46 PM »
Seems a nerve has been struck with the Olathe crew.

My first volunteer effort for the KCFDC was as assistant course director during the 1994 Wide Open with Ned Smethers at Prairie Center when the course wasn't nearly as nice. Rubber-tub-home-made baskets and dirt tees with a less flexible, shorter, layout.

I suspect the reason it gets overlooked for events such as this is simply. location. If a large number of people have to drive between rounds or even in the morning from a distance it makes a differnece to how the event is perceived by out-of-towners. That's my .02.

I don't think anyone is disparaging the course. Quite the contrary. Most folks I've talked to have nothing but good things to say about PC and the recent changes. But I have nothing to do with it so.....  c-ya.

KM
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

andrew.jewett

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 01:38:59 AM »
I have to agree with Andy about the reconfiguration. It makes a huge difference. The back 9 is my favorite part of the course. I also agree with Kevin's logic on the subject. However, when lake lenexa and shawnee mission park are finished, those three courses would be a nice combination (location and terrain) for the KCWO. Even if it was just for the AMs. I think Olathe would still benefit from rope on some of the holes, especially on the 12-16 and 18.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 01:51:23 AM by andrew.jewett »

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 05:24:55 AM »
 i don't think that pc fits in the schedule as is(playing the same course twice fri and sat and then 1 course sun) because you don't need to play it twice and it's too far away from the activities on sunday. i wouldn't mind playing pc and wyco the same day and just make a little loop to catch the ks courses. on the same note i don't think you need to play wyco twice; and it's location is not good for sunday.
putt, putt, give.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 07:34:42 AM »
I don't like the idea of playing the same course twice in one day...maybe one day but not two days.  I think we should be able to get exposer for more than 3 courses, especially for a 5 round tourney.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Nicky p

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 02:10:36 PM »
I think we have to look at it from a out-of-towners perspecive Like Kevin said. What do people think of when they think about Kansas city disc golf? I believe it would have to be Water Works and Swope Gold. There is a whole tourney for Wyco for them to come to. PC is a 30 min drive, not what people want to do when they all ready drove 3+ hours. Cliff is a great course but is not fully ready. Blue Valley is a good one rounder but lets leave it to the pros. Rosedale is just always there, a little bland but its in a good loc for travle. I think Rosedale Friday, Water Works Saturday, Swope gold Sunday. Wyco, Rosedale and PC could work but people need to know that they are spending the money to tralve to play well known courses, maybe when PC gets known better though the big "O". I just think it is great that we can argue on what courses to play, some wish to be as lucky.
I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER"

the blind man

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 02:38:13 PM »
I disagree that the kcfdc is worried about location of the courses. After attending world championship events I found out alot of people that attended the wide open last year have a view that kc courses are in the hood. Its a 19 minute drive from the first tee pad at wyco to 1st tee pad at Olathe all on the same Hwy. There is several reasons why Olathe now gets more disc golf traffic in a course of a week than anywhere else except rosedale and WW. Thanks for all the hard work Bob, Tom Andy and the other several few that have given there time to make Olathe a great course. Always mowed and properly maintained and clean..

andrew.jewett

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 03:06:39 PM »
Okay, so what courses will the open field be playing? Will the final be at blue valley? If it is, then the final for the ams needs to be at Waterworks or Swope, in order for a gallery to be feasable for sunday's leader card.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 03:10:13 PM by andrew.jewett »

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 10:16:03 PM »
Cliff Drive is closer.............................
Mike Penney

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 10:29:37 PM »
to answer to Andy about 2 rounds...most tour players prefer 2 rounds, so you can get another crack at them.  People coming from out of town may not know all the courses, and my have a chance to play one or two courses the day before round 1, but probably not 3.  Logistics of running the tourney, too...moving everyone around, including boards, water, first aid,......that's  a whole lot of movin' to do in not too long a time and get things reorganized for another tee off in an hour or so.

I do agree, though, it would sure be nice to get Olathe and WyCo both in somehow.  hell, we could set up an Olathe Gold, get a couple hunks of fly pad, make sure the soccer fields aren't being used, and there ya go. 
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

JoCodog

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 07:31:18 AM »
Since Olathe, Lenexa, and Shawnee are so far away from KC, perhaps when the courses go in at Heritage Park, Shawnee Mission Park, and Lenexa, the Johnson Countians should secede from the KCFDC and form a new club. A new club with lower dues and a lower amount taken from league entrys. Perhaps the Kaw Valley Club, and Wyco could merge into this new Johnson County Club as well.     

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 07:33:20 AM »
You wouldn't have to worry about the soccer fields if it was the first round on Friday morning....nobody will be in the park...also we could use all the land on the north side of the pond temporarily for a "Olathe Gold" course....probably get an extra hole in also if need be.

I just get upset when we used a "course in the making" last year and we can't even give a little thought about using all the courses we have....like blind man said...it's 19 minutes from #1 Olathe to #1 Wyco with every kind of food stop in between.  Personnel.....I understand....but make the tee time earlier than 10 and make the lunch break longer.....
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2007, 07:34:46 AM »
Don't start splitting the club...that happened in Denver from what I hear and it killed both sides.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Nicky p

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2007, 11:27:58 AM »
Lower dues?A lower amount taken from league entrys? Is this the same Johnson county Kansas that is the 3RD richest county in the USA.

Perhaps the Kaw Valley Club, and Wyco could merge into this new Johnson County Club as well?     Wyco=Wyandotte county not Johnson

First you try to take the Speedway and Legends now my course!

Dont get me worng I would like to play these courses in the wide open but go and break up somthing good over it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 12:42:02 PM by Nicky p »
I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER"