Author Topic: KCWO 2007  (Read 20116 times)

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
    • View Profile
Re: KCWO 2007
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2007, 07:13:24 PM »
In case you didn't know.............A long time ago and far away............................
There were two clubs in KC in the early 1990's, the KCFDC and The Swope Park Disc Golf Club. Of course there were only two courses then. Rosedale and Swope.
It was not the most pleasant experience for all, as there was tension between the clubs, but both clubs still elevated the sport and acted as a catalyst for the 8+ courses we have now.
I can see the WO migrating as a special event to a totally KS or MO side in the future, but logistics for travel is the prevailing factor as well as coordination for the event courses. KCFDC, via Rick Rothstein, Jack Lowe, Chappy  and Dan Cashen have a great history with the KC metro Parks & Rec for city support, and supplies for course readiness and flexibility of design. We are blessed to have so many types of courses with more coming up.
I am concerned if the club can keep up with them all. It takes a vast amount of volunteer support to set up the courses, monitor them and coordinate activities with the various municipalities, even on a daily basis. When we promote the tournament there is so much that goes on behind the scenes it would make your head swim.  And we are just doing a regional tourney, albeit A tier, 25th year. There is talk of doing another major national week long event next year.
The KCFDC function has torn down the previous barrier and allowed us to proceed on a metro wide basis. We all have our home course. Me, I was raised at Swope. 27 year player, 22,650 bags of trash, although who is counting?

Volunteer for the Wide Open or do things to help on your own, just don't get carried away.
Slim

I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2007, 08:02:35 PM »
I would love to see PC used in the Wide Open.  We used PC in both of the Am Worlds held in KC within the last ten years.  I remember talking with some of the out-of-towners after their round and they loved the course.  They would really love it now that we've made even more improvements recently.  What's wrong with using the course on Friday for perhaps the ams in the Wide Open?  Maybe by then I'll be recovered from my hernia surgery.  Later...Fisherman Bob Hayett

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2007, 10:48:30 PM »
We used PC in both the 1999 and 2003 Am Worlds, and used it most recently for the 2002 and 2003 KCWO. We did not use it in either 2004, 2005, 2006.  I think this year, at least, the concern was more location to the other courses and the party on Saturday night at BV.  We have not shied away from using PC in the past.  It's a fine course, but historically we have gotten more complaints from players when we left out Water Works, Rosedale, or Swope from the KCWO than we have gotten we we've left out PC.  Just saying.  Such is the curse of having so many good courses.  PC will definitely be used in a Pro/Am Worlds scenario in 2009, should we submit a successful bid.

I like playing PC....I used to go to league out there all the time, even though I lived up north.  I regret not being able to go out there this year, as I will be running league at Cliff the same night.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

andrew.jewett

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2007, 12:56:34 AM »
Two consecutive rounds at the same course is prefered by pros. Cool. But we are talking about the AMs at PC, and that would be great.

Too much stuff for one club to handle in the near future? No problem. Dont need to have another club. Maybe just a Kansas division of the club, and a Missouri division of the club. Like an organization that does business in different markets or regions. It is governed by the same principles, with both sides being accountable to the same executive committee and each other. Working together for the greater kansas city area. ONE CLUB. Each side can coordinate with each other, while receiving direction from the executive committe which administrates both sides.

P.S.  Seattle is freakin' awesome guys. I played Sea-Tac today, and it is one of the best designed layouts I have ever played. Playing random flip doubles with some locals I met last time I was here. Won both rounds last time with a local partner. Will do my best to represent KC!

mansizioux

• Am Poster
  • JV Golfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2007, 09:13:57 PM »
I live on the east side of the city and agree that PC and WyCo would be a great first day for the ams.  Then two rounds on Sat. at the course that isn't being used that day by the pros(CliffDrive, Swope, Rosedale).  The final round (just 18 holes for the people coming from out of town) at Water Works.  We didn't get to play WW last year.  A question that keeps coming up, do you have to make a course long to make it hard?  Can't you put rope on a short course? Or should you put more rope on the longer courses.  These are honest questions from someone who is just getting to know the game.
You can"t always do what's right, but you can always do what's left.

andrew.jewett

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2007, 01:14:28 AM »
I think that rope should be used with discretion. There is a fine line(no pun) that should be determined by considering the density of foiliage     ( will a bad shot be punished with an impossible shot from the bush?) in combination with distance and the width of the fairways. If there are not enough natural obstacles and "rough" to keep a player in check, then rope should be considered. Distance should only be a factor relative to those other variables.

dananarama

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007, 11:30:36 AM »
Hey Jack (or whoever),

Is there a pretty flyer somewhere we can print out and show our boss to try and sell the teesign sponsorship?

Dan

Angiemoe

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007, 10:57:58 AM »
I love reading your posts! Great ideas here. Just shows that the kcfdc is always top-notch and working hard to make the players happy.

You all have valid points on locations, roping and issues. I believe when the day arrives, regardless of where we play, it is going to be a badass time.

andrew.jewett

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2007, 01:00:19 PM »
Agreed

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2007, 02:29:32 PM »
I am working on sponsorship forms with Spady today.  Hopefully something soon will happen.

As for WyCo and PC, the decisions that need to made will be made by the TD and the TD alone.  He will decide what makes the most sense.

As for ROPES, have any of you ever helped with the WO and the roping of a course?  HOURS and HOURS of time to get the rope out properly, making sure that it is visibile to the players, then HOURS and HOURS of getting the rope up.  TIME effort and ENERGY to make that happen, if you can get 5-10 people to volunteer and get rope out, then talk with Dan about it, otherwise, it isn't gonna happen.  It is the hardest most labor intensive part of course prep ever.

As far as WyCo and PC again I think that they are fine courses, but travel time and then also having some of the people not being able to play the "Original KC Courses" for the 25th would be bad.  Everyone wants WW, who can blame them, Rosedale and Swope are solid as well, BV will be for the Pro's and then you have people that will want to see how they scored compared to the Pros on the same courses, by using the same courses you get that, plus not to mention if you really use 5 different courses you have to have officials that know each of the courses inside and out and move your staff around ALOT more, then focusing in on 4 courses.  Time effort and ENERGY.

As for the thread about succeding, we already have a VP for each state.  If you do not feel as though Dirk is representing KS well, then srtep up and take him out of office.  If Mark is not doing well in MO then step up and take him out.  we work as hard as we can on a complete VOLUNTEER time allotment.  If you can do it better, then PLEASE come do it, we need more help always will.

As the courses get more involved, this was a vision that I saw with having the need to have VP's in each state, and that is why I presented this change to the by-laws in 2002 or 2003, we need to have representation of each state, but again folks we are at the discretion of the P&R in all municipalities, if they want to do something different then they can.  We are squatters and have very little rights, with the exception of MO as we have a contract with them on the land, but again if they want to do something different they sure could and we don't have a leg to stand on.

Hopefully we will have CLiff Drive Pads in over the next few months, and that will help.  As for the comment about the disc golf courses in the "HOOD", KC is one of the highest crime rates in America right now, so our whole city is in the "HOOD"  Olathe gets more traffic because it is the only place to play in that part of town with sprawling growth, as the other courses go in, it will trail in numbers, and hopefully take some out of Rosedale as well. 

Olathe P&R woprks hard at the course but they also have less to worry about than WyCo (WyCo and Rosedale) and KCMO (over 200 parks) so it makes sense that it is more manicured, but they also have taken down trees that were diseased and do not replenish them as we as a club have to find ways to make that happen.

I understand gripes and complaints, but if you spend more time working with the people involved in pushing things to get done for the sport and less time typing in here, we would have better courses across the grain.  To select a course in my mind that has a great P&R that do good work and singe it out as the best  to play is really short changing the remainder courses that have just as much work from just as many people.

Bottom line if you want to wait for someone to do something, then you need to get out there and work with the CC and get it done.  Typing about it in the chat rooms will never accomplish anything.

ZSorry if this sounds crass, but some of the topic in here is way out of line.

Help out however you can, even if it is bringing a new player into the game, or watching the Wide Open.

BTW, if we have a record turnout in players pre-registering you will FORCE the TD to have to use all the courses, that would bee the best way to get your course out here.

Jack
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 02:48:00 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

andrew.jewett

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2007, 03:44:36 AM »
Who's complaining? Who's out of line? I believe there was just a lot of exchange of ideas going on between some people with common interests. Thanks for clearing everything up though. Oh, and I guess the club is already in the format that I was talking about. You could of just said that. After all, that is just lack of keeping myself informed, so I dont see why you think I was criticizing anyone or the job they are doing. Pardon me for getting defensive, but I think that was a bit harsh my friend.

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2007, 04:52:28 AM »
Rope sucks.
Mike Penney

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2007, 07:39:11 AM »
Pine tree wilt has been killing, and continues to kill many of our trees at Prairie Center. Fortunately for us, the Olathe arborist is constantly planting new trees around the park. Originally, PC had very few trees. Since 1990 approximately 200 trees have been planted in PC by the city.

Stitanic

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2007, 09:45:15 AM »
I say the tree farm on #10 and #11 at PC should stay.  In 10 or 15 years, those would be some very tricky holes designed by a very sadistic disc golfer.  Trying putting an S-curve through that.
Over the line, Smokey! I'm sorry. That's a foul.

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2007, 06:56:49 PM »
If you have never laid rope out on a course it takes a long time (hourS), and isn't that much fun, especially when you'd rather be playing golf. As far as seperate clubs good idea, but I don't think it should be revisited. I believe a better solution would be course clubs, such as what Jim Neal is doing at Swope (Swop Love Society). Personally I think that once the new KS courses are in, that instead of one major event a year there should be 2, yup two events. One in the spring time, the other in the fall, one on KS courses, the other on MO courses. But thats just me pipe dreaming again.......
Mike Penney