Author Topic: Recommend a driver, win no prizes!  (Read 3294 times)

Nova

• Pro Poster
  • I meant for it to do that.
    • View Profile
Recommend a driver, win no prizes!
« on: May 24, 2015, 10:54:28 AM »
Except for my gratitude, of course.

Here's the drill: I've been playing for almost two months, and have been following lots of well-intentioned internet advice. I've been avoiding the "big boy" drivers with two-digit speed ratings, throwing 150-ish gram discs because that's what is recommended for women, and so on.

However. . .

Yes, I'm a gal, but I'm 6'4" tall, and athletic, not 5'6", petite, and trying my first sport ever. I don't lift, or have big gunz from my big gainz*, or anything, but just from a lifetime of constantly playing one sport or another, not to mention being six foot four, I have to wonder if this advice to always huck a feather down the fairway is 100% applicable in my case.

So I've got a bag of featherweight 150-gram speed 4,5,6, and 7 discs, and not much else, but I just recently added a 174-gram Westside Seer (7,5,-2,1) to the bag, and I played a whole round at Kanza with it yesterday. It handled the wind nicely, and pretty much went where I intended for it to go. (And by that, I mean it went really really far, and in the right direction!) Based on how it did for me, I have a sneaking suspicion that the slow 150-gram discs are doing me no favors.

What to do? 

(* Do you even lift, bro?  ::) )
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 10:57:52 AM by Nova »
Nova P. -- PDGA #74995 -- KCFDC #1860

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
Re: Recommend a driver, win no prizes!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 11:06:28 AM »
if you want to throw like a boss, get a boss
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 11:08:07 AM »
Even I throw a Boss on occasion too. A blizzard Boss though. ;)

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 11:12:27 AM »
I would slowly start increasing speed and stability but stay in the high 160's.

haxor

http://discpath.haxor.fi

Rob Martin
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
https://www.facebook.com/MaverickDiscGolf

Nova

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 11:34:36 AM »
So something like a DD Escape, perhaps?

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 11:53:43 AM »
Another helpful tool. Use the Matrix. Find the discs you've been throwing. Slowly move up and to the left. A Valkyrie can be very useful. Held world distance record for 10 years.

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431
Rob Martin
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
https://www.facebook.com/MaverickDiscGolf

Nova

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 12:00:06 PM »
Good stuff. Cheers!

KCDiscDawg

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Disc Dogs
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »
I dropped down to 150 class stuff after I first started playing. The lighter weight was easier on my shoulder (2 rotators cuff surgeries) I was throwing further and was OK with that. My form got better and distance came along with that, then hit a dead end. I stepped up to some 165-170 stuff in the molds I was thowing at the time and started throwing further and with better consistency. The weight was not a problem on my shoulder because my form was better. I'm also a athletic build and was trying to power through , not throwing correctly. I think getting some 170 stuff and doing some field work would benefit you. I found the heavier disc are also easier to replace, the lighter molds really vary in flight from disc to disc, with the heavier disc having the same flight from disc to disc. Bottom line I think my consistency got better by throwing heavier disc, and I had more molds to choose from.
>>>------> Earth<>Wind<> Fire<>Water<------<<<

Tony Burnett aka " Dirty Bird Dog"
PDGA #53029
KCFDC#1532

Crispian

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 08:14:07 AM »
Nova, you have met me and played with me. Although I am NOT 6'4", I am also not petite, nor am I a first time athlete. I do have a few 150 gram discs, but I actually prefer 160 to 170 for most of my discs. You are correct that lighter discs do not handle the wind as well. In addition you need and overstable disc to throw into a headwind. I stopped at a speed of 10, in general, but have a couple of 11 and 12 discs. You such a big, natural Hyzer. that would be the main reason you would want to avoid superfast discs, because you may not be able to get your arm speed up fast enough to keep the disc from going way left for you. There's my thoughts.
Crispian Lynn Paul PDGA #67456
Kansas City Disc Golf Diva
Former KCFDC Board Secretary
KCFDC Newsletter
crispianpaul@hotmail.com

Play disc golf. Move around. It's cool.

Nova

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 10:18:11 AM »
More good advice. Thanks!

DiscDisc Byrd

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 04:40:17 PM »
I think you should give a renegade a chance. Has great glide and a slight s curve to it.  I find it handles wind surprisingly well too. The escape is a great disc too.  I like mine. Also the new breakout im finding to be a disc worth throwing. My favorite weights are from 153g to 165g.  Hope you find this helpful. Good luck with your disc choices.
Steve keithley

Crispian

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 05:30:24 PM »
Ooh, just started throwing a high 150s renegade and really like it!
Crispian Lynn Paul PDGA #67456
Kansas City Disc Golf Diva
Former KCFDC Board Secretary
KCFDC Newsletter
crispianpaul@hotmail.com

Play disc golf. Move around. It's cool.

T Dog

• Am Poster
  • John 15:18-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 08:19:38 AM »
My best advice is this:

• There is no "Right" way to throw or "Right" disc to throw.  There is only the way/disc that works for you.  So take all advice with a gain of salt (mine included).
  • I never stop learning about how to do it better.  Personally I don't believe in "getting it" only getting better.
  • Most Important: Don't make radical changes!  Just tweak what you are comfortable with now.  Got a little heavier, Go a bit longer, Go a touch more overstable.

On the final point, if you are throwing 150's, take the same discs and step up to 160's.  Or If you are throwing a blizzard Leopard, try a blizzard TeeBird or a Blizzard Valkyrie or even a Blizzard Beast.  Or just step up to a 160 -165g Leopard.  In the end I think you are on the right path.

And don't listen to Bossy people. Haha

Nova

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 11:06:41 AM »
Thanks for all the advice! I've now got a 165-gram Escape on the way by mail. Judging by the numbers, it should be a little faster and more stable than the Seer which has treated me so well. I'll probably pair it with a similar-weight Valkyrie so that I've got a headwind and a tailwind driver.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 01:01:15 PM »
Field practice with what is comfy.  I have Valks from 149-175 in my bag.  Find a disc you like, experiment with weights.  I have the Starlite Valks, and Star Valks, Champ, in all weights.  I carry 6 Valks....I carry Destroyers in Blizzard and Star from 138-172....

Find a mold you are comfy with and then throw the weights there.

You don't need 12 molds, if one mold in varying weights will get the desired results.

FWIW, I threw only a 148 Blizzard Katana primarily all weekend in Des Moines, or my 168 Star Valk....it was raining, windy, etc....I used 4 discs for 98% of my shots.  Learn how to "trick" the discs by different release and angle techniques, or find a few discs that will go with the same motion.  Let the disc do the work if you can, but learn to throw by field practicing your favorite mold, and it will help.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"