Author Topic: Ratings Based Tournaments  (Read 7816 times)

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ratings Based Tournaments
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2015, 07:44:33 PM »
Yeah, I drifted.......Apologies for that.  Read the last few before mine and got on a mini rant.....Ignore if you wish.....

You called that drifted tG? More like you were sailing with a tailwind. ;)

KCWaldo

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2015, 07:45:44 PM »
I like the idea of ratings based tournaments, wish I could have played the big blue monster.
I like the idea of lowering entry fees and skipping the players pack and giving unique tourney specific items.  Maybe a hat or towel or other swag that denotes division champ. 
I like that Rob provides products from different manufacturers.
But keeping the entry fees the same for amateurs and removing the players pack and or payouts would be a mistake, IMO.  There are a lot of ams who cannot compete in open divisions and don't want to donate.  Don't do what bowling did and only focus on pros, it damaged bowling a lot.
Duane Waldman

PDGA# 59362
KCFDC# 1598

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2015, 08:00:43 PM »
Thank you for your thoughts.  I'll consider various options going forward for 2016.

I'm with you Rob. Keep is affordable, forget the PP too and payout respectfully.  A lot of us am's just want to compete in a variety of options on a,variety  of courses too.  Cut the reg fee in half like you have let's us play 2 tourneys.  Heck I'm with Dick and Jack too.  But not at full price...

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2015, 07:34:51 PM »
I like the idea of lowering entry fees and skipping the players pack and giving unique tourney specific items.  Maybe a hat or towel or other swag that denotes division champ. 
I like that Rob provides products from different manufacturers.
There are a lot of ams who cannot compete in open divisions and don't want to donate.  Don't do what bowling did and only focus on pros, it damaged bowling a lot.

Well said KCWaldo!

Bitter79

• Am Poster
  • 175 Max Weight Boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2015, 09:54:01 AM »
A little food for thought.

An example from "Ball" Golf. Yes the Pro's make ungodly amounts of money, and the "Am's" very little. But why? Because of the massive amount of "Am's" that love the sport that's why. The golf courses around KC that make the most money? It isn't Wolf Creek, or Indian Hills Country Club. It's the shorter, and often looked at as "cheaper" courses that make the most money because they put through the most rounds (mine continues to be the most played and profitable course in the KC Metro). Yes there is a place for the high end elite country club (AKA KCWO) but the driver of the sport is the weekend golfer that plops his or her money down to have fun and play a game they love (Rosedale Open). Without the 99% of amateurs that support and spend money on the sport, there would be no Tiger Woods or Jordan Speith. Or at least the amount of money they have made. So frankly McCabe and Nate Doss can thank you and me for continuing to purchase discs, bags, and demand more courses because if we didn't they would not be getting the sponsors and pay outs that they earn for playing a sport they love. Amateurs drive every sport, be it the 10 year olds playing soccer, the high schoolers playing football, or even the video gamers playing COD 4. The am's are the reason Pro's get paid.

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2015, 05:25:11 PM »
A little food for thought.

This happened at Ledgestone too. Record purses for Pros. The top 25 Mens Pro's were paid out $1,000+ incrementing from 25th placed upwards. The richest Pro purse ever.

Us Am's received 9 discs in a box. Half the discs we never heard of too. And no dry fly or collared golf shirt. And the Am payouts were cutthroat too. A lot of us will not go back.

Maybe it's time for the ADGA?

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2015, 09:08:46 AM »
TDs and event organizers are busy people. I get that. But if I ask a question which can be answered with two words or a quickly-typed sentence, and get no answer, .......... and get no answer, it gives me the impression that the organizer either has way too much on their plate and they need to delegate (or hire assistants), or they just can't be arsed.

You are new to the sport, and haven't ran an event, so I will let this slide a little, but suffice it to say there are other priorities for TD"s to attend to and often and in many ways they DON'T have time to give to your internet question.  If you TRULY have a question that needs to be answered, there are a couple of options....call them....wait for an answer as in MANY CASES the question you seek is needed by many and will be answered with and when it is time.

the ONLY PEOPLE that truly have the time to give that you sort of seek here is the notion of those that run DG store's full time.  in MANY MANY cases that isn't the case, and in all honesty you should thank your lucky stars each and everyone of us because we do have sooo many talented people in our community that step up to run events for you to enjoy, and critique. 

Again ROB, run it as you want, it is yours to do....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Nova

• Pro Poster
  • I meant for it to do that.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2015, 09:20:49 AM »
You are new to the sport, and haven't ran an event, so I will let this slide a little. . .

Don't patronize me. When you do that, it makes me want to not care what you say.
Nova P. -- PDGA #74995 -- KCFDC #1860

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2015, 09:51:03 AM »
run an event then......I stand by my comment, you are new to the sport, you haven't ran event, and you have expectations that aren't real in the world at times.  (edit....you are NOT alone in that stance as well might I add...myself included)

Sorry you view it as patronizing, I viewed it as a "matter of fact", because in all honesty that is what it is a simple matter of fact.

Try not to take things online so personal I don't....but then I am different, and I am ok with that.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:00:38 AM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Nova

• Pro Poster
  • I meant for it to do that.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
Try not to take things online so personal I don't....but then I am different, and I am ok with that.
I don't think I've had a single pleasant interaction with you on this forum. It has nothing to do with me. It's all you.
Nova P. -- PDGA #74995 -- KCFDC #1860

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2015, 10:20:03 AM »
yep.  It is me.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2015, 11:04:48 AM »
I like ratings based pools and CTPs, also a fan of lunch instead of players packs.
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

Steve the Quiz Berry

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2015, 11:34:57 AM »
 ;D I like CTP's too, but it seems that on some, well most want you to use a pacific company name. And unfortantly 99.99% of the time its not something I throw or would even consider.For example when in Saint Louis, your required to throw a Gateway product.
I like ratings based pools and CTPs, also a fan of lunch instead of players packs.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2015, 12:55:01 PM »
yep.  It is me.

LOL!!
 = Lordy, Oh Lordy!!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...