Author Topic: New Players League - Monday's  (Read 12669 times)

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New Players League - Monday's
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2014, 08:27:01 AM »
It's always at Rosedale at 6:00pm.  But will probably start around 5:45 early in April, due to daylight.
Joe Hesting

Aaron

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2014, 08:42:15 AM »
I also run a New Players League on thurs nights at P Hill. Probably start at 530 for a few weeks then move it up to 6 o'clock once daylight is good.
Calm down, this is just for fun.

helkite01

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2014, 06:01:20 PM »
I live in p hill and love Lake Shore
David Blackburn
KCFDC# 1687
TAG #79

Aaron

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2014, 06:35:40 PM »
Cool, then we've probably met. April 3 will be the first night, spread the word.
Calm down, this is just for fun.

mjohn1981

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2014, 11:58:37 AM »
Just a question in general for a new player:

Should I join the Beginner's League at Rosedale? I've been playing casually for almost 1 year, mostly at SMP. Kan-U-Wyco was my first tournament (played Rec) after joining the PDGA. I am certainly joining KCFDC this weekend, but unsure of where to join (online, DD, or Disc World?).

I want to join the league at SMP, but since my average is +6 at best to +10 typically, I'm not confident enough to play. My schedule favors the PDGA league that I saw Rob M. getting set up. So, I could join that as well.
Am I jumping the gun, never playing league, and wanting to join in? Or should I get more experience first? Paying in and coming in dead last isnt a problem for me. I just want to improve and read that playing against better players is the fatest way to learn.
Thanks.

- Marc
PDGA # 64386
KCFDC # 1700
KCFDC 2014 Bag Tag # 281
DD KC Bag Tag # 196

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2014, 12:59:49 PM »
Welcome to a lifelong addiction. 

You pay as you go for league,  meaning that you pay for one night... that is the best part.  no long term commitment like other formal leagues in softball/bowling etc.

Do not worry too much about your score and sign up for the easiest division offered.  Go and play and keep it fun and if you get smoked no big deal.  If you are waxing folks in your division, then maybe move up after a couple weeks.  If you want to improve, then you have come to the right place by playing league.  all divisions have players with knowledge  so play where you feel most comfortable.  Sometimes the best coaches are not the best players so i believe that  you will find folks that know a lot about technique in all divisions. 

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2014, 02:15:16 PM »
Just a question in general for a new player:

Should I join the Beginner's League at Rosedale? I've been playing casually for almost 1 year, mostly at SMP. Kan-U-Wyco was my first tournament (played Rec) after joining the PDGA. I am certainly joining KCFDC this weekend, but unsure of where to join (online, DD, or Disc World?).

I want to join the league at SMP, but since my average is +6 at best to +10 typically, I'm not confident enough to play. My schedule favors the PDGA league that I saw Rob M. getting set up. So, I could join that as well.
Am I jumping the gun, never playing league, and wanting to join in? Or should I get more experience first? Paying in and coming in dead last isnt a problem for me. I just want to improve and read that playing against better players is the fatest way to learn.
Thanks.

- Marc

Marc - the term 'leagues' is a bit misleading.  It's not like a bowling league where you are commited to play the entire session.  It would be better to call our leageus 'minis' as in an one round 'mini' tournament.  You can play just once if you want.  Some leagues do run incentives to have you play more often, but it is not a requirement.  You don't need to pre-register or anything.  It is ok to just show up once, twice, every other week, once a month, whatever.

If you are planning on joining the club, personally, I would do so at one of the stores.  That's my opinion though.

I've been throwing around the idea of the next PDGA round, if we do one, is to break it up into Open, Advanced (like it currently is) and Rec where Rec would cost $2.  $1 for the PDGA, $1 for the club, and would not have a payout.  This would help new players play in more league (mini-tournament) settings without paying someone else $5 every week just to play.  Also, by having a non-payment Rec division, it would be unduly pillaged by players that should be playing in a higher division.  This is just an idea though and has not been vetted by the BoD.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2014, 02:51:58 PM »
Play OPEN sometime.  It is TOTALLY WORTH IT to play, watch & learn.  DG is very laid back, as are the players...so just pay/invest the $ (same $ as playing a lower division usually) and enjoy yourself while you IMPROVE!
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

mjohn1981

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2014, 09:02:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice and information, Rob.

I've already got approval on my work schedule for Tuesday and Wednesday nights open. The wife even agreed! I'm going to do both Tuesday's at SMP and the 2014 PDGA KCFDC Sanctioned Wandering Wednesday League. I'd like to pre-register as Am, if possible. Let me know what else I need to do.

Marc Johnson
PDGA# 64386

I'll be going into Dynamic Discs on Saturday to join the club and get registeted for the City of Fountains, as well as getting some bag tags. If you recommend anything else, I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:05:09 PM by mjohn1981 »
PDGA # 64386
KCFDC # 1700
KCFDC 2014 Bag Tag # 281
DD KC Bag Tag # 196

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2014, 08:18:55 AM »
Just two pieces of advice.

1.  Play golf, as much as you can.
2.  Ask questions when you're around better players and try to integrate their advice into your own game.

You'll be a much better player in no time.

mjohn1981

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2014, 09:35:28 PM »
If you are planning on joining the club, personally, I would do so at one of the stores.  That's my opinion though.

I went down to DD today to sign up. See you out at WyCo on Wednesday.
PDGA # 64386
KCFDC # 1700
KCFDC 2014 Bag Tag # 281
DD KC Bag Tag # 196

GrandviewAshton

• Novice Poster
  • I'm new, but I'll throw some
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2014, 11:02:42 PM »
Ok, totally new to all of disc golf just to get it out there. I have taken some steps to make me relevant such as purchasing disc, bag, and such but doesn't really matter the disc apparently they all fly about same , and noticed this "hyzer" throw I do often by mistake.but my question really is what do you suggest for the fat guys, I know I'm fat, its no secret but most advice I've seen or read is from skinny guys I've seen a couple bigger guys but to busy trying to gather my breath to chase them.im thinking of trying a newbie league but are you all fit people trying to go fast?, how many usually in a group?, I'm getting into disc golf to have fun maybe lose some weight and meet new cool people. Do any input appreciated
Sucking at something is just the first step at becoming kinda ok at it

BenC

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2014, 01:04:32 PM »
Ok, totally new to all of disc golf just to get it out there. I have taken some steps to make me relevant such as purchasing disc, bag, and such but doesn't really matter the disc apparently they all fly about same , and noticed this "hyzer" throw I do often by mistake.but my question really is what do you suggest for the fat guys, I know I'm fat, its no secret but most advice I've seen or read is from skinny guys I've seen a couple bigger guys but to busy trying to gather my breath to chase them.im thinking of trying a newbie league but are you all fit people trying to go fast?, how many usually in a group?, I'm getting into disc golf to have fun maybe lose some weight and meet new cool people. Do any input appreciated

PM sent

mitchelwb

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2014, 11:05:25 AM »
What's the current story on this league?  This thread is spans several years and seems to have a lot of spotted information. 

If I'm correct, today (Monday Sept 8, 2014) It's at Rosedale at 6PM.  Do I just show up say "Hi, I'm here to play."?  Is there somewhere else that has more detail?

Thanks
Mitch

D Craft

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2014, 07:58:56 AM »
If I'm correct, today (Monday Sept 8, 2014) It's at Rosedale at 6PM.  Do I just show up say "Hi, I'm here to play."?  Is there somewhere else that has more detail?

Although I have not been to this league in particular, to answer your question, yes you would just show up and get in the league.  All of the leagues you can show up with no warning and play in.  It is not like a bowling league where you commit to so many weeks.  As long as the league is still going on you can go to one night or 5 or all.

That being said many of the leagues are winding down now.  With the fact that there is less and less light out many leagues have to move up their start time to 5:30 or even 5:15.

I know that doesn't fully answer your question but I hope it helps.
"No matter what I do, I always feel better when I stop doing it"