Author Topic: Weight does it matter?  (Read 7042 times)

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
Weight does it matter?
« on: May 05, 2005, 04:50:26 PM »
Well I heard that you should try to throw the same weight all the time. And that lighter disc's go farther.
I tryed the 170-173 class and the 164-166 and i can throw the 164's the best.
But some guy on the course one day told me that the more weight the ferther it will go.
And why are all the mid range disc's 170 and up my fav mid is 180 but I don't think it goes very far.
Well I guess I really want to know what do most people throw? So if you want to reply let me know.
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

convert

Weight does it matter?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 09:04:35 AM »
I throw all different weights.  I like a light driver and a heavier midrange and brick for a putter, which might explain why I'm terrible.

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Weight does it matter?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 10:00:09 AM »
Quote from: "tkienzle"
Well I heard that you should try to throw the same weight all the time. And that lighter disc's go farther.
I tryed the 170-173 class and the 164-166 and i can throw the 164's the best.
But some guy on the course one day told me that the more weight the ferther it will go.
And why are all the mid range disc's 170 and up my fav mid is 180 but I don't think it goes very far.
Well I guess I really want to know what do most people throw? So if you want to reply let me know.

Here is what I have gathered in my 2 months of playing.  For me personally 150 is just too light, especially with my putter.  For a beginner you should be throwing probably mid 160's - low 170's.  That does not mean you can't have a heavy Putter or even a heavy Roc.

Now another situation where weight can play an important role is when your dealing with headwinds, and tailwinds.  Obviously a heavier disc will manage to stay on line better in a head wind than a lighter disc.  Then tailwinds you're lighter disc will glide further than an heavier disc.

I choose 170 on your poll just because the average of my disc's probably falls  into that range.  My heaviest disc is 174 and it's my Putter, which is good for shots 200' and in.  My main driver is exactly 170 Tee-Bird DX (must have driver for a beginner)  My Roc is 172 (arguably the most must have disc for any golfer).  I have a couple other drivers that are 168, and 172.

What disc's are you throwing?  I dont know if you've found this site yet but it's very imformative on techniques, and discs Disc Golf Review

Let me know if I can help anymore, and there are plenty of helpful golfers out on the course.

-Dennis
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
Weight does it matter?
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 10:19:11 AM »
Well I got a PolarisLS 165, JLS 164, Aurora MS 180, Omega AP 170 and ROC 180.
But I have many other disc's 3 170-175 Beasts witch I have a hard time throwing.
QJLS 171 I have fare luck with, PolarisLF 161. Whippet 171 that I like alot.
The first 5 I like to fly the most.

convert

Weight does it matter?
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 11:01:50 AM »
Do you think its better to up weight with the same disc or change to a disc that is more overstable.

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Weight does it matter?
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 12:23:08 PM »
Quote from: "convert"
Do you think its better to up weight with the same disc or change to a disc that is more overstable.

What are you trying to accomplish?
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

convert

Weight does it matter?
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 01:12:54 PM »
What are you trying to accomplish?[/quote]

Right now I always tee off with a Valkyrie and it my only driver that I'm consistent with.  The problem is:  On long holes I tend to throw harder from the tee.  This causes the disc to "turn over/anhyzer/be understable."  So what I want is a disc that I can throw harder and not get so much "turn over" with.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Weight does it matter?
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 01:30:44 PM »
Lightweight plastic flys farther while weight adds control.  Almost everyone prefers plastic that is as heavy as possible, even those who shouldn't throw heavier plastic.  Reason probably being that lightweight plastic is difficult to control, espescially when it's windy, and almost impossible to throw into a headwind.  Heavy plastic can get 90% or better of the distance that a lightweight disc can.  When you factor in the bad throws with the lightweight, the heavy stuff probably flies farther.  

Now, I'm comparing discs of the same stability.  If your comparing a 150 Firebird to a 175, of course the 150 will fly farther (with a tailwind) because the heavy one will tail out due to not enough spin to keep it going.  Take an quite understable 170g driver with a tailwind and throw it high left with a ton of spin or bust out a roller (with similar disc, maybe more understable) to get some serious distance.  

Heavy is much more favored in short range game because control is the most important factor.

With that being said, lightweight would probably be preferred by those who are brand new to the game or kids that haven't got their big gun yet.  Lightweight is also a serious weapon for those guys who have fine tuned their control enough to utilize its distance benifits.  A great example would be Kansas City player CD Steiner.

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
Weight does it matter?
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 06:26:42 PM »
This is the kind of info i need to see thanks to all that have posted i just wish all the people
that read this page would give a opinion o well.. 8)

firerec

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Weight does it matter?
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 05:13:40 PM »
I throw a Valk for most of my shots. I have it in several different weight. I choose which I am going to throw alot of the times based on what the wind is doing. I will choose a lighter disc with a tail wind then I will with a head wind or a cross wind.

golfonabudget

Weight does it matter?
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 09:24:25 AM »
I pretty much just throw heavy plastic, the glide and speed seem to be easier to be consistent with. Keeping forward momentum w/ a heavy wieght disc seems more manageable to me in Kansas weather conditions.

MikeTeachKC

Yes, Virginia...weight does matter...
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 11:31:06 AM »
and not just that of the player...   :shock:

Ok...now to what I think.

When I started, I was using 150 class discs...you all know and love them...Aviar, Shark and Leopard.  Then I got stupid and bought a couple 175's and found out they were lead weights in my still untrained hands.  I then got some edumacation and bought a few more 150's, such as a T-bird L and Dragon.  Over the past 3 months, I've played probably 45-55 times.  (nice to have summers off... :wink: )  Now, I've settled on mid-160's as my "normal" discs with them being Viking, Gazelle, Roc.  I have a light, 150 class, in each of these discs for playing up hill or with the wind.  I took some advise from the good folks at DGW and "got simple".  Focused on the discs I had, picked the ones that were consistent for me, and hung everything else on my wall so they are still "cool".  I've got a LOT of discs on my wall...  

I guess the point of my ramble is this...over time, as your skills and body change, the weight of the discs you sling will also change, as will what discs will work best for you.  Still, for pure control and accuracy, not much beat my 150 Shark which I could put under the basket from 100-125 feet nearly every time.  Anyone want to bet that was NOT because it was the disc I used on nearly every hole?

Mike

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Weight does it matter?
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 02:06:56 AM »
They call those "turds" where I'm from.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Weight does it matter?
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 09:15:21 PM »
Great post date Mike, love 8-22.

In the winter time your plastic is also more predictable as it is in the prefered conditions with regards to the weather keeping the plastic cold, warm plastic will have less stable characteristics.

Why not try this theory at the Ice Bowl on the 29th?
:P
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster