Author Topic: Weight does it matter?  (Read 6990 times)

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
disc weights
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 08:27:01 PM »
I generally throw drivers in the 160-170g weights, lighter weights uphill or with a tail wind, heavier weights into the wind or downhill.  I definitely like midrange/long approach/putts with the heaviest discs I can find.  The wind has the least effect on these heavier discs.  Almost all my midrange and putters weigh between 177-180g.  I wish they made a 200g putter, I'd buy it.

the kelleys

Re: Weight does it matter?
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 10:57:48 AM »
Quote from: "tkienzle"
Well I heard that you should try to throw the same weight all the time. And that lighter disc's go farther.
I tryed the 170-173 class and the 164-166 and i can throw the 164's the best.
But some guy on the course one day told me that the more weight the ferther it will go.
And why are all the mid range disc's 170 and up my fav mid is 180 but I don't think it goes very far.
Well I guess I really want to know what do most people throw? So if you want to reply let me know.

My dad throws 170's and I throw 160". But we thought heavier discs go further?

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Weight does it matter?
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 11:12:13 PM »
Lighter discs go further (except into a headwind) potentially.  They are harder to control, though.  You might think most pros would throw lightweight because accuracy can utilize the distance benefits.  This is not usually the case at all.  Pros generally prefer heavy weight because control is so much more important in actual golf.  The need for heavier weights becomes more important with mid-range discs and putters.

ring

Weight does it matter?
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2006, 02:49:16 AM »
I think it dosen't really matter long as you know what your disc does.

denny

Weight does it matter?
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 02:50:14 PM »
Can anyone tell me the best disc for left handers? I throw mostly sidearm rollers and currently use a beat up cobra. What else should I be using?

Denny

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Weight does it matter?
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 06:51:28 PM »
To say a best disc would be silly.  If you're only throwing rollers, a beat up Cobra is not a bad thing.  A newer Cobra maybe?  A good putter and midrange disc for the upshots, maybe?  You can't roll a putt with much success, although I seem to try it quite a bit  :roll:  

Lefty/rightie is negligible as far as disc choice.  You've gotta find your own thing.  That may mean buying some plastic that just won't work for you.  Check out the disc manufacturers' websites.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

denny

Weight does it matter?
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 11:31:04 AM »
I'd like to meet up with other players, I see that you all have had a new players league at Rosedale. Will that be starting up again after DST ends?
I checked the different sites as recommended. Why are there so many different discs? How many do I really need to carry? I've seen lots of people with huge bags but they only seem to throw a few of what they carry.
I'm looking forward to the Mighty MO on 4/8! See you all there!

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Weight does it matter?
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2006, 01:31:09 PM »
It is easy to be overwhelmed by the number of discs on the market.  You really only need 3 or 4 different types(molds) of discs in your bag...tops.  My advice to new players is to find a putter, midrange, and understable driver and get at least 3 of each(the same mold).  Putters all the same weight, and vary the weights on the mid and driver.  Then practice, practice.  By having multiples of the same disc you can develop muscle memory much quicker than if you have to throw a drive then go pick it up, or switch molds every throw.  You can experiment by buying the same mold in different plastics and seeing what that does for you, but resist the urge to try new(different) discs- there is no magic bullet for becoming a more accurate player.

As a new player you will find that your second shot is often ~100ft from the pin, so practice this distance, alot.  Go to a park and practice throwing at trees about 100 - 150ft away or play catch with a friend.  Do this often and you will find your self with a lot more pars and a lot more confidence.  The distance from the tee pad will come with time, but a strong short game and putting will make you competitive with players above your level.  One more thing about the short game is to use the slowest disc you can on each throw- throw your putter from 100ft and you will be punished less by errant shots.  This rule applies to the whole game, I feel.  Don't throw your driver if you can reach it with a mid-range(or putter).

Denny- You really should work on your backhand  or at least a conventional sidearm shot, the forehand roller is more of a specialty shot and you will find yourself limited on most courses if that is all you can do. Follow the suggestions above. I cannot stress enough the importance of practicing, alone away from the course, you will improve so much faster than if you only play rounds of 18.  

-Sean

denny

Weight does it matter?
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2006, 02:59:24 PM »
Flip,
Thanks for the good advice. I'll try out some new plastic and work on a greater variety of throws. Based on what I've seen at the course my rollers work as well or better than most air shots. Would a drive that ends up leaning against the pole in original position on 18 at Rosie be considered a good shot? Just wondering.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Weight does it matter?
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2006, 04:59:47 PM »
When you say the original position, you mean down by the tennis courts right? Yeah, that would be considered a good shot...   8)

The issue with the forehand roller isn't so much that it isn't a good shot to know so much as the fact that there are places you simply wouldn't be able to use it. For instance, do you use that shot down under? I don't see how a forehand roller would work very well down there with all the trees in the way. Of course, I don't have much of a forehand roller so it wouldn't occur to me to try it either.   :lol:
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Weight does it matter?
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2006, 12:24:59 AM »
Good advice Flip. :)

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
Weight does it matter?
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2006, 07:53:34 AM »
I have a question will the weight make it turn over easer.. Will a more make it less likey to turn over.. I had been messing with this beast 150  and that thing just going over on me.
But all my shots go right bad. Well when I put my arm into it...
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

denny

Weight does it matter?
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2006, 09:17:41 AM »
Yes, the original position. I didn't say I couldn't throw anything else, just mostly sidearm rollers. I appreciate your insight Nivek, I've asked quite a few people how they throw and every answer is different. I think the guy who told me to hold it the way I want and go and throw a couple thousand practice shots was the most help.
Did any of you see the Tiger Woods segment on 60 minutes?

bagger

Weight does it matter?
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2006, 10:48:53 AM »
Listen to Flip, that was solid advice.  My wife finally took up the game last year and she is throwing Sidewinder/Coyote/Aviar.  She has two or three of each and nothing else.  The other day she shot +6 up top at Rosie and +8 down under.  Not bad considering she was carrying a two year old with her throwing arm most of the time.

andrew.jewett

A question about roller shots
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 06:44:42 PM »
What is the difference in the path of a backhand roller and a side arm roller (assuming a flat groud and no obstacles)? Also, I heard someone mention something about a hook thumb roller. How do I throw that? I can kinda throw a thumb hook tomahwk. Is it anything like that?