Author Topic: Something new I learned today...... (A discussion of tips and comments)  (Read 2171 times)

The Can tankerous A.N.G

• Pro Poster
  • Don't look now!
    • View Profile
I never knew that the firebird is pretty much the most overstable disc made.

Very nice in headwinds, especially on Hole 2 at Blue Valley.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
More overstable yet would be a Star Max, Champion Monster, Champion Whippet, Z X-treme, Z Flick, Speed Demon...

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
Umm they don't make a Champion Whippet.. Just DX and KC pro...I would buy one if they did...
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

Chainsaw

I have seen one (KC Champion Whippet, not KC Pro) on EBay. Stamped with Climo's name and all. It was probably three weeks ago at least.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Umm they don't make a Champion Whippet.. Just DX and KC pro...I would buy one if they did...

there are several up on ebay right now

from looking at completed auctions, they go for about $30

bp

The Can tankerous A.N.G

• Pro Poster
  • Don't look now!
    • View Profile
Have any of you thrown the JLS?

Tried any new discs lately?

Chainsaw

I just got an ESP Buzz, 177g. I have not gotten to throw it yet, but it sure does feel sweet in the hand. I have not thrown a JLS yet. What are the flight characteristics? Stable/ Understable? Good glide, etc...?

DG Thuggy

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
The Chainsaw got a Buzz.  The Chainsaw was using a Wizard the other day.  Never thought I would see you not using the Roc/Aviar combo.  I see, you are just copying my style since I have been so successful.

Actually, I have been throwing the KC Pro Roc a lot more lately.  Doesn't really overlap with the Buzz for me yet, but once it beats in they should be fairly similar.  Of course, the trees at Cliff gave it some nice dings yesterday.

My new disc I have really appreciated is the Orion LF.  Tad more stable than the wraith and every bit as long for me.  Seems a little more consistent as well.  I cleared the short/original pin placement on new hole 10 at cliff by a good thirty feet.  Never put a drive past the pin there before.

By the way, the new hole 3 tee at Cliff is pretty sick.  I'm guessing we won't see an ace at the Mighty MO on that hole this year.

dananarama

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Nice avatar, Mercury Mustache.  Way to make me piss my pants at work.

Thursty

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
First run Speed Demon with the bead was the most overstable disc ive ever thrown, the ones given away at the last Ozark Tournament I believe. wont turn over.. Rubbed it on the pavement to wear down the bead and it was a little better.

Chainsaw

Re: Something new I learned today...... (A discussion of tips and comments)
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 11:45:08 PM »
Who makes the Speed Demon?

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 11:55:10 PM »
Gateway.
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

Chainsaw

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 12:05:27 AM »
I was watching some drives on you tube and many of the top players were getting alot of their hand over the top of the disc. I have always pulled my hand a little more under the disc, somewhat stacking my fingers underneath, with my index pulling the rim into my hand. I was messing around with it, and it seems like keeping more hand over the top of the disc gives the throw more stability and a more natural flat angle of release. It also gives the wrist more range of motion and leverage for dictating the angle of the nose upon release. One more thing I noticed while using this technique was that the reach back did not put as much a strain (tightness) on the tendons and muscles of the shoulder girdle and the upper arm. The thing is, I have been told by some different people that I should throw with my palm facing more up (resuting from more hand under the disc, as opposed to on top). However, when I use a technique favoring the bottom of the disc, it seems like I pull the disc through with the nose up more often.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 12:09:53 AM by Chainsaw »

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 12:15:09 AM »
Finishing your throw with your palm up is a good technique for putting.  I've never seen this with a drive though.

The Can tankerous A.N.G

• Pro Poster
  • Don't look now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 08:53:37 AM »
Chainsaw-The JLS is understable. very good glide. I get almost as much distance with it as I do the Inferno. It just goes much straighter.