Author Topic: Swope damage  (Read 1178 times)

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
    • View Profile
Swope damage
« on: May 09, 2005, 12:25:01 PM »
Anybody that knows me , knows that I am a doer not a whiner....however....
The damage done by careless mowing to the grounds and trees this week at Swope has to be addressed.
What I saw was: 40+ trees with major and minor damage to the bases and even upper trunks.
This will cause the trees to get bugs and diseases, (Duh)
I saw hundreds of  ground ruts due to carelessness of the driver due to excessive speed and inattention, and poor training of equipment of equipment usage. It actually looked like the place was plowed.

In the past I have seen the mowers race through the course with reckless abandon. The supervisory staff of Swopes mowing department must understand it is their domain to treat our little corner at the same level as they do the rest of the park.

2 cents from slim jim
I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Swope damage
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 01:49:03 PM »
I believe there is a some stuff that you can spray on tree in such cases to prevent bugs from taking over the trees. I'll have to find out what the name of it is, and see if I can get some of it from the parks. I take it this is obvious damage to the tree on the course?
Mike Penney

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Swope damage
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 12:10:21 PM »
I sent Jim's note to the P&R and asked how we could work together on this.  I am sure that we will make strides at addressing this issue.

Thanks,

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

dclabe

Swope damage
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 12:30:41 PM »
Might add that the mowers hit 17's bench and one end has been pulled out of the ground, also 16's basket was hit and now is sitting at an angle....

Seems like the first couple of times that they mow (every year) the park gets gouged pretty bad,  this year is easily the worst yet.