Author Topic: 2009 Pro/Am & Jr. World Championships  (Read 21256 times)

kselrod

Re: 2009 Pro/Am & Jr. World Championships
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2009, 10:18:15 AM »
What division are you playing?

Advanced Amateur.  Thanks for the info Jack!

kselrod

« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »
Also my son has a swim meet the weekend of July 25-26th.  So I will not be coming to town until Monday the 27th.  Will players still be allowed to practice on the courses on Monday or will the courses be shut down for final prep work?  If I can't practice then I thought I would volunteer to help with something when I show up.  Let me know.  Thanks

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »
should be able to practice on Monday.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2009, 11:12:50 AM »
Also my son has a swim meet the weekend of July 25-26th.  So I will not be coming to town until Monday the 27th.  Will players still be allowed to practice on the courses on Monday or will the courses be shut down for final prep work?  If I can't practice then I thought I would volunteer to help with something when I show up.  Let me know.  Thanks

Monday is a practice day...there's nothing else going on that day, except for the player's meeting at 7PM at the Westin.  Courses will be setup in their Worlds configurations by July 21st.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2009, 11:15:15 AM »
Hey Jack...I got a friend of mine from work that's friends of the Program Directory at Q104, and I got a reply from him stating they didn't have much cash to be able to sponsor, but is wanting to see what they CAN do for the tournament.  Do you want me to shoot an email with your contact info, so that you and him can get together on this?
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

kselrod

« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2009, 11:30:08 AM »

Monday is a practice day...there's nothing else going on that day, except for the player's meeting at 7PM at the Westin.  Courses will be setup in their Worlds configurations by July 21st.

Chap

Would needing a volunteer be more important?  Not like one practice round on a course I've never played is going to help my game any.  I can always bring my wii and play Tiger Woods 10 after the players meeting for practice...lol.

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2009, 10:31:33 PM »
You could certainly WALK the courses, play one of them or at least a few holes on each of them.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

kselrod

« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2009, 09:18:41 AM »
You could certainly WALK the courses, play one of them or at least a few holes on each of them.

From the looks of the schedule...there are 3 courses I have not played that are in my pool.  They are Shawnee Mission, Water Works and Blue Valley.  If I get a chance to play (or walk) on Monday or before, what courses would you recommend to be the most beneficial to play before the Worlds begin?  Thanks for any info you could share on this.

lucky4ever247

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2009, 09:28:27 AM »
Pack a lunch if you are gonna play blue valley. I would recommend playing WW.
RELAX!!!   I do All my own stunts!!!!!

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2009, 11:28:35 AM »
It's just a disc golf course!

That's what my WIFE says...
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

kselrod

« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2009, 01:17:04 PM »
Pack a lunch if you are gonna play blue valley. I would recommend playing WW.

You'll need to set up base camp near hole one at Blue Valley. Spend some days there acclimating to the altitude.  Then get up really early to make the arduous trek to camp 2 near the crest of hole 6.   Eat hardy, prep the oxygen tanks and rest well that night. Hike day two crosses a couple expansive valleys then requires a risky traverse before the final push to the top of the ridge line at hole 12's camp 3.  Blisters and full body aches will keep you tossing and turning that night.  So be prepared to make the final assault the next day without much sleep.  Before the sun rises, begin the push to the peak.  Even with oxygen tanks, the accent through the final holes will be a challenge to your very existence.    Upon reaching your goal, take in the view and relish in the joy of conquering BV, the moment is short lived, but will be remembered for a lifetime.

Back to reality.  It's just a disc golf course!

I heard it was looong but who da thunk!  Wow, and the TD of the Worlds expects us to do all that in one day...must be why that's the only course we play that day.  Luckly my new Palm Pre has GPS so the search party can find me...lol!

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2009, 03:46:52 PM »
WW is tough because of the terrain: HILLY.  That would be good to play because of the slopes, so you can get a feel for it.  But, heck, unless you're from a Plains state you've played hills.  (Maybe not like these...) Certainly a few of the holes would be worth playing, maybe not all of them.  Some tight wooded holes too, but there are hills everywhere, on every hole, that can give you some nasty rolls.  Most people say this is their favorite course in KC.

BV, yep...it's not necessarily about throwing long, it's about long and placement.  It's long, I'm not sure what the distance for the Worlds will be, but it can be 11,000 feet or so.  Lots of trees and curves and...hills.  Certainly one to walk and observe closely.  It'll take a while to just walk it, so you may as well take the time to throw at least a few holes.  Some may be blind, all are tough but fair.

SM...not a tough course necessarily, but it's sort of a links style course, in that they've been mowing the fairways yet leaving a lot of rough.  There are hills, but not nearly a WW style.  People at the KCWO played it blind with little problem, and no maps for the most part. 

Thanks for coming in for the Worlds, no matter what.  You're going to have fun.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2009, 09:37:37 AM »
Just got this from the DGA: here is the correct final version of the Worlds
Raffle Promo video, Let's get this out there and  move some discs. Please spread the word. Can we get it up at KCFDC.org and kcworlds.com?

You Tube

High Res
http://www.discgolfassoc.com/discgolf-news-information-resources/discgolf-galleries/video/DGAworldsPromo09.mov

Our Website Splash page with more being added in the next day or two.
http://www.discgolfassoc.com/discgolf-tournament/worlds/2009worlds_fundraiser.html
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2009, 01:08:45 PM »
Youtube video is being embedded into the site.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2009, 03:14:41 PM »
Thanks Tracy!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C