Author Topic: Where's your thumb when you drive?  (Read 595 times)

Keizer

Where's your thumb when you drive?
« on: May 02, 2007, 04:49:50 PM »
Yes, it's a grip-technique question.

When you tee off with a driver, where do you place your thumb? Is it in the center of the disc or on the edge?

I haven't been playing long, only a couple months or so. Until recently I was using a power grip where my thumb would be right on the edge of the disc. I threw okay with this grip, but made a lot of inadvertent hyzer shots. Being a lefty, I would have to aim to the extreme left of the pin in order to compensate for the tremendous arc that was my usual flight path. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to throw a long, flat, straight laser shot like I'd seen so many of the experienced guys throw.
The other day I was practicing drives on Cliff Drive #13 when I decided to try moving my thumb to the center of the disc to see if it made any difference. Damn! I made the longest, straightest throw I could have ever imagined. I made a few more throws to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and they all stayed straight and long. Eureka! Finally, I've discovered how to throw a driver far and straight.

So, I was curious-- where is your thumb when you drive? No place nasty, I hope! ;D

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Where's your thumb when you drive?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 11:47:16 PM »
Actually, moving the thumb in creates control.  Moving it out creates spin.  Most people turn the disc over with the thumb out, rather than hyzer it.

I've got a different grip and rely on spin more than arm speed.  I have to put my thumb almost at the edge of the disc to keep it from hyzering.  It works well for me, but there has got to be a reason most players don't choose this grip.

With putt and approaches, I'll move my thumb in for better control.

Soup

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Check out my Youtube channel for disc golf vids
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 05:56:11 PM »
I pinch the ba-jesus out of it between my index and thumb.  It makes it pop or snap and creates a heck of a lot of spin, which can keep it flatter longer. When a friend broke my middle finger the night before Ice bowl with a ping-pong paddle (another story), I noticed that it didnt really matter.  It actually helped me to focus on the release point, which is the last fingers that touch the disc.
Remember: B flat is how discs fly and trumpets cry.

Chainsaw

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 03:08:18 PM »
I prefer 10 and 2