Author Topic: Traveling to KC to Disc  (Read 1233 times)

Danno

Traveling to KC to Disc
« on: May 14, 2007, 08:50:35 PM »
Myself and some friends will be traveling from Des Moines to KC for a weekend of Disc Golf and camping. ;D I would appreciate any info I could get from all of you on your courses and camping situations. Please inform me of place's we need to hit-up and place's we need to avoid. If you could also let us know of a nice camp ground, that would be of much help.
Thanks in advance!!! ;)
Dan

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Re: Traveling to KC to Disc
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 09:55:34 PM »
The only campground I know of that is near a KC disc golf course is here:

http://www.cottonwoodcamping.com/index.htm

I don't know anyone that has camped there but it seems nice and is literally five minutes from WyCo disc golf course. It is one of the nicest courses in town if I do say so myself.....   ;D It's long but has some interesting holes and a lot of personality for a 7500 foot course. It's also a quiet area and you probably won't have to compete with too many casual golfers like you would at Rosedale on a weekend. Although Rosedale is one of the premier courses in town. Swope has the Swope Spring Renewal on Sunday if you are interested in some local tourney action as well. 

You have to hit Water Works and my current favorite Cliff Drive. Watch for the big holes in the road and you might plan on being out of there well before dark.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Soup

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Check out my Youtube channel for disc golf vids
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 12:16:17 AM »
No camping near KC that I want to do. My favorite spot to be able to unload a clip and a fly rod, without getting harrassed, is far south of the city. Hillsdale is out of your way for golf. (Bail is cheap though I'm told. [cough]) Yeaaaah. Pauly Cross might know something around north of KC, Smithville. I'm partial to the camp fire, fishing, hail damage lake scene. Better if you contact me: jcampbellmortgages@yahoo.com and we can better suit you to be introduced to your closest 400 friends in KC. I'll put you up and they will take you down!!! Let me know your sched. Is there camping in IA where you live?
-soup

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 07:53:21 AM »
Dan,
Coming in from your direction, you may want to try Smithville Lake as mentioned earlier. Here is a link for more info- http://www.windingriver.com/smithvillelake/ You would be 15-20 minutes from Waterworks, 20-25 minutes to Cliff, 25-30 minutes to Rosedale and 25-30 minutes to Wyco. If I didn't have my daughters graduation this weekend, I would join you...sounds like fun. Good luck and email if you need more info. (dan@danweinert.com)
Enjoy the city!
Dan
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 07:56:49 AM by Lefty2 »
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

Danno

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 09:17:57 AM »
Thanks for the info so far fellas, keep it coming, the more the better. In response to Soup, the is pleanty of camping up this way, if you need some info just let me know. We will not be heading south until June 15th-17th, so maybe you will be able to join us Dan. We are just trying to get some info early so we can make our choices on courses to play and a place to camp. Smithville lake looks like it might be the place.
Thanks again,
Dan

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 09:44:26 AM »
Danno - come the next weekend and play in the KCWO!!!

http://www.kcwideopen.com/
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 02:45:33 PM »
Dan,
Come the weekend before and check out the Wakarusa Festival in nearby Lawrence Kansas. They are suppose to have a nice disc golf course set up at the festival...it was a blast last year. There are a couple of other courses nearby for a major big disc weekend.

Oh yea..it's a music and camping festival too!

I will be posting a pair of tickets to the show for someone from the club to win...trying to think of a contest to make it fair and square. (or rigged so you can win!)

Check out the festival at- http://www.wakarusafestival.com/

Dan
 8)

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 03:05:21 PM »
one more option...come all 3 weekends. It's not that far away!  :o

Danno

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 10:25:59 PM »
All of these events sound like a good time and it would be great to go to all of them, but I think the wife would hurt me :o and I have conflicts at work :( and can only get down there that weekend. Thanks for the invites guys. Hopefully when we get to KC, we will be able to play a couple of rounds with some of you.
Thanks again,
Dan

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 01:20:36 AM »
Play Blue Valley.  That is definitely worth experiencing.  Don't miss Waterworks either.

The rest of the couses are all high quality as well.  Swope has nice grass and rolling hills.  Setup can very from quite short to quite long.  Same with Rosedale.  Tricky pin settings there.  Also 2 courses with down under (a very unusual and entertaining course), so less driving.  Cliff Drive has a wide variety of shots, including some in the jungle.  Wyco is just beautiful.  Great course to show off your drives (if they are long and accurate).

davetv81

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 09:25:27 AM »
FYI to all:

ALL KANSAS fishing lakes have free camping.  there is one in Tonganoxie, the leavenworth fishing lake I believe its called.

but if your just looking for a place to camp/crash, I have some space you can use.  baskets to practice on also. email me offline if interested.