Author Topic: Have any parks been mown yet?  (Read 1366 times)

tnt0228

Have any parks been mown yet?
« on: May 16, 2007, 01:38:21 PM »
I played BV last week and it was TALL!  (Lost my Blue/transluscent Eagle on number 5.)

Is there anything we can do to expedite the process?

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
Re: Have any parks been mown yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 01:55:06 PM »
The Missouri parks are only mowed something like 5 or 6 times a year, and we schedule one of those around the Wide Open.  Other than that I don't think anything can be done to make change the cities scheduling.

Prairie Center is probably the best groomed course if you want short grass, it gets mowed fairly often since the soccer moms do so much for the park.....cha...right...
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 02:48:56 PM »
Rosedale was cut on Monday 5-14 and has been on an almost weekly schedule.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 10:54:34 AM »
WRONG
MO parks are mowed every 14 days, the rain lately has delayed that in some cases, but overall the KCMO P&R and contractors have done a fine job.  ON the big events, we may request that they delay a cycle in order to accomodate the mowing schedule.  So you must have hit it on the most recent long streak....Sorry bout your luck.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 02:26:09 PM »
rain + sunshine + fertilizer spewed at leagues = lush fairways and dense rough.
think back fondly to these days when you're kicking dust in july.

support your local league.

Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

Soup

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Check out my Youtube channel for disc golf vids
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 09:33:49 PM »
CLIFF DRIVE HAS BEEN MOWED

Soup

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Check out my Youtube channel for disc golf vids
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 06:46:58 AM »
We need Big Blue Valley to let us find our discs in the fairways....

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 08:43:58 AM »
Swope was mowed and trimmed yesterday. Most of the teepads are swept.
It is picture purty.
Try it out for the Swope Spring Renewal Sunday May 20.
Weather will be clear, calm and pushing 80 degrees.

Slimmo
I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

Chainsaw

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 12:26:14 AM »
I think it would be cool to have distinctive fairways mowed on some of the holes at the Blue Valley Championship Course. P & R could mow the fairways on the regular schedule, while mowing the "rough" every other time. This would add to the feeling of being on a ball golf course, and would give the course a chance to further demonstrate the intent of its design. Players will be more challenged in hitting the desired / required landing zones. Shots landing in the rough would not get a good skip, and would leave the player with a bad shot angle and tougher elevation challenges. Shots landing in the marked landing zones would give the player the best angle to the basket. Survey Says.....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 12:49:50 AM by Chainsaw »

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 10:10:33 PM »
I think it would be cool to have distinctive fairways mowed on some of the holes at the Blue Valley Championship Course. P & R could mow the fairways on the regular schedule, while mowing the "rough" every other time. This would add to the feeling of being on a ball golf course, and would give the course a chance to further demonstrate the intent of its design. Players will be more challenged in hitting the desired / required landing zones. Shots landing in the rough would not get a good skip, and would leave the player with a bad shot angle and tougher elevation challenges. Shots landing in the marked landing zones would give the player the best angle to the basket. Survey Says.....

That is a cool idea!

Keizer

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 03:02:10 AM »
Played Blue Valley yesterday, and it had been mown a few days before. Wasn't real short, but definitely playable.

Keizer

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 04:59:11 AM »
Cliff Drive was mowed again 5/22. Made a throw on #16 just as one of the tractors was rounding the bend by the reservoir. I watched as my brand new Star Wraith headed right for the mower. Luckily, the driver saw it coming and stopped in time so that only the front wheel ran the disc over. I'll have to buy that guy a beer sometime... ;D

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 09:38:17 PM »

Actually, there's a couple of reasons NOT to do that.

Pros: It kind of looks cool.

Cons:  Discs in rough will still be hard to find.  In some cases on some courses mowed like this, it's realy difficult to find your discs, even as close as 20 ft. from the basket.

The tall rough can actually prevent a bad shot from either skipping OB or into the woods.

Also makes rollers more difficult, making Blue Valley play as an even longer course.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.