Author Topic: Questions on coming back from injury(ACL)  (Read 273 times)

brandon21486

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Questions on coming back from injury(ACL)
« on: March 12, 2018, 08:55:18 AM »
I've been meaning to put a post out for awhile but just haven't made the time. A couple of years ago I was playing almost every day over lunch and hitting up WW league on Thursday nights but ran into some injuries. A couple of weird minor injuries that I just had to let heal and then beginning this year right as I was starting to get out more I tore my ACL.

I was just wondering if anyone here has been through anything like this and how they managed getting back out and what the timeline looked like to be able to throw all out?

Douug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on coming back from injury(ACL)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 09:42:43 AM »
Torn my acl playing basketball years ago.
Mri confirmed surgery.
Replaced with cadaver, no more physical fun rest of year.
You would need a acl eval done by a reputable knee surgeon to see how stable/unstable your knee is for twisting and weight bearing motions.
A mri would confirm this too with a radiological eval too.
Best case, minor partial tear, may get by with physical therapy and knee braces.
Good case, minor surgery.
Worse case, significant tear, needs to be repaced.

jhinck2

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:44:17 AM »
I started playing disc golf in 2009 and tore my ACL in 2010.  Your recovery will depend solely on how you treat it.  I would take full advantage of whatever physical therapy you can get from your insurance company after surgery.  Then, ease back into it.  I would say it was a full year after surgery before I was comfortable with throwing 100%.  I still wear a knee brace to this day just because my form isn't the greatest.  If I were you, I'd really take this opportunity to re-invent your form (if needed) and get that front foot to flip open at release.  This is assuming you tore the ACL on your plant leg, of course.  If it's the other one you tore then you're in a better position than I was...
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

brandon21486

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 11:23:13 AM »
Torn my acl playing basketball years ago.
Mri confirmed surgery.
Replaced with cadaver, no more physical fun rest of year.
You would need a acl eval done by a reputable knee surgeon to see how stable/unstable your knee is for twisting and weight bearing motions.
A mri would confirm this too with a radiological eval too.
Best case, minor partial tear, may get by with physical therapy and knee braces.
Good case, minor surgery.
Worse case, significant tear, needs to be repaced.

I've had it replaced I should have mentioned that. Had surgery in early February.

brandon21486

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 11:25:52 AM »
I started playing disc golf in 2009 and tore my ACL in 2010.  Your recovery will depend solely on how you treat it.  I would take full advantage of whatever physical therapy you can get from your insurance company after surgery.  Then, ease back into it.  I would say it was a full year after surgery before I was comfortable with throwing 100%.  I still wear a knee brace to this day just because my form isn't the greatest.  If I were you, I'd really take this opportunity to re-invent your form (if needed) and get that front foot to flip open at release.  This is assuming you tore the ACL on your plant leg, of course.  If it's the other one you tore then you're in a better position than I was...

Yeah plant leg unfortunately and sounds about like I figured as far as looking at next year to get back in to things. Hopefully can start putting practice this summer/fall then and improve that at least. I was planning to work towards better form since I wouldn't be playing at full strength for awhile as well. Figured it was as good a time as any!

Douug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 12:14:12 PM »
Ahhh. Yes makes difference being replaced and plant knee too.
Well, listen to your PT, strengthing muscles above and below is key too.  Six to nine months is the norm to recover full range of motion.
I recommend a brace too, to avoid potential twisting.
Or um learn to throw opposite leg and arm.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 04:45:15 AM »
I found that the brace was hurting me after I fully recovered and after removing the brace my knee stopped hurting. It's ok to start out bracing but don't keep fully relying on it. That's my unprofessional but experienced opinion
Steven Disc Glover

KB

• Pro Poster
  • The Bigger Babbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 11:45:48 AM »
My knee collapsed in 2006 at the Des Moines challenge. Fell down on the tee pad 3 holes in a row and had to pull out of tournament for first time ever. Moved to Germany shortly thereafter where I had arthroscopic surgery (cost 20 bucks and didn't have to wait more than 2 weeks - but that's another post about "socialized" medical systems) to help but they said only complete reconstruction of ACL and MCL would help. I still couldn't throw right afterwards. For the following 6 years I got into Mountain Biking and rode a bike nearly every day to work. Moved back to the U.S. and suddenly I could play disc golf again after 8 years out of the sport -- one of the happiest days of my life. Working out on a properly fitted bike in my opinion is absolutely the best therapy for a knee you can have.
-------
Slow your Role
Calm Your Putt
KCFDC Board Member
ph: 913-544-6689

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 11:00:06 AM »
My knee collapsed in 2006 at the Des Moines challenge. Fell down .... Moved back to the U.S. and suddenly I could play disc golf again after 8 years out of the sport -- one of the happiest days of my life.

hmmmm....but about your brother always beating you.... are you sure you can play?
 :P :P :P
 ;D ;D ;D
 8) 8) 8)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 03:25:06 PM »
That's not nice making fun of a disabled person. At least he can play. Unlike me. I'm toast. My back and now my arm. I haven't been able to play since the corporate challenge a few years ago
Steven Disc Glover