Author Topic: 5th Annual Flippin' Sweet Memorial Disc Golf Tournament - June 23 @ Thornfield  (Read 443 times)

gusgotts

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Just a heads up that the 5th Annual Flippin' Sweet Memorial Disc Golf Tournament will be held June 23 at the Thornfield disc golf course in Stilwell.  Wow!  Many thanks to you that have supported the tournament--the proceeds go to the Johnson County Suicide Prevention Coalition.  Last year, our proceeds help fund:
--A suicide awareness initiative in school districts across Johnson county
--Screening of the film The S Word.  This film documents the "why" of suicide from suicide survivors perspective, which in really not a commercially viable film.  But it DID talk about why people try to take their own lives--who better to explain that than someone who tried but survived?  Anyway, it was a valuable contribution that players in Flippin' Sweet made possible.
--The coalition is conducting ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) classes that are directed towards high social contact individuals (clergy, teachers, counselors, police, etc.) that train them to identify suicidal individuals and steer them to counseling and treatment before they harm themselves.

Anyway, the funds from this are put to good use, all we do as organizers is put on the tournament, make it an enjoyable experience for the players, and turn the money over to the coalition so they can do their amazing work. 

When:  June 23, 2018
Where:  Thornfield disc golf course
Why:  Raise funds for suicide prevention (and depression awareness!)
How:  Register at www.flippinsweet.live

You can contact me at tom_gottschalk@hotmail.com if  you have any questions, I'd love to hear from you.

Again, THANK YOU for all of your past support.  Here's to a beautiful, sunny Saturday on June 23 where you can enjoy an awesome course (Thornfield) for the benefit of a great cause!

By the way, our beer sponsor this year is Martin City Brewing Company, who is providing pretty good quantities of their fine product for players 21 and over to enjoy.  We're looking at pulled pork and sides for lunch, and, as usual, a LOT of discs to be given away in putting contests and rings of fire.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 07:08:38 PM by gusgotts »

gusgotts

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Flippin' Sweet will have quite a few things going on tournament day, June 23:
--Martin City Brewery will be providing their tasty beverages to players 21 years old and older
--All players will receive a Dynamic Disc in lucid plastic
--Lots of rings of fire and putting contests, with prizes
--Smoked pulled pork sandwiches, with pork smoked by a big-time barbecue contest competitor
--Tons of snacks and drinks

We still need lots of players to come out to Thornfield to participate in this tournament, so if you can play, please sign up!

www.flippinsweet.live

gusgotts

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Just one last appeal for players to sign up--we really like to see a full course, and all the great stuff we've got lined up drank / eaten / given away.  To include:

-A Dynamic Disc Burst putter, or a Lucid mid-range or driver (with very cool-looking tourney foil stamps)
- Towch disc golf bag and towel in one--holds up to 5 discs, very nice.  They go for $13 on Amazon.  I keep one with 3 discs in my car for those times I can play, but didn't bring my disc bag.
-Smoked pulled pork for lunch, lots of beverages and snacks.
-Morning round is singles, afternoon round is doubles in a scramble
-Lots of stuff for lunch
-Martin City Brewery is bringing out tubs of their fine product in cans
-A lot of discs to be awarded in putting contests and rings of fire

Come out an play, it's a great tournament.  We get players back each year, that should tell you something.  We have like 24 slots left.  All money goes to the Johnson County Suicide Prevention Coalition for depression awareness and suicide prevention.

Thanks to everyone who has already signed up!