Author Topic: Roller?  (Read 1871 times)

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
Roller?
« on: June 07, 2007, 12:09:33 PM »
Whats the best way to throw a roller?
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

Chainsaw

Re: Roller?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:21:06 PM »
Understable, lots and lots and lots of spin (depends on when and which way you want it to break). Let me reemphasize - SPIN!!! You have to keep it from flexing while it is still in the air. Might I suggest the most beat disc you can find.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 04:10:44 PM »
release disc at 11:00 for Righties Backhand, or 1:00 for lefties, hit the ground within the first 50'-75'
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 07:50:43 AM »
cool now all i got to do is go out and try it.... ;D  Thanks guys...

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 06:07:08 PM »
The roll is one of the toughest shots to learn or master (is it possible?)

The shot is all about conditions.

First, are you throwing forhand or backhand roller.  Understable plastic is certainly preferable for backhands.  More stable for forehands due to a more vertical release when you roll your wrist over.

Are you trying throw a roller that goes over an obstacle or under?  Rollers that get more air may go farther, but they are more difficult to control and generally need even flippier plastic to get the job done.

Wind plays a dramatic effect on rollers.  I usually never roll unless I have a tailwind or left to right wind (for right hand backhands).

Got to pick a few discs to roll with and stick to them.  Get to know them well because you have to trust your roller discs!

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 01:40:39 PM »
Well i got a roller and it rolls nice now i need some short grass....

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 10:52:32 AM »
Let the disc do the work  ???  Don't get happy feet  :o  Learn the shot, then go for more power/distance  ;)  Stable in the air = stable on the ground  8)

Backhand Roller: usually something that's not TOO fast (for control) like a JLS or XL - if it's too beat up for the shot you need you will end up fighting the disc. Try a well-worn ROC or midrange driver to learn the control, then go to something faster.

Sidearm Two-Finger Roller: Aviars and Rhynos (less stable to more stable), and Rocs (more distance) for upshots, and the occasional Firebird or Teebird to blast out of the schul.

Distance Off the Tee: depends on the required landing zone. I always figure the disc needs to land on edge 1/3 to 1/2 of the way to the target. The more stable the disc the sooner you need to set it on its path. Try the "sky roller" treatment with a midrange or putter - great for going up and over without much roll. Then try it with a worn driver at full power - see what that baby will do!!
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."