Author Topic: Moving to KC in June  (Read 1149 times)

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Moving to KC in June
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:39:58 AM »
My name is Chris, and I'll be moving to KC in June for a job.  I'm coming from Iowa City, IA, where I spent the past two years going to college (sort of) and developing both my disc golfing game and course building skills.  From what I understand, Kansas City has leagues that meet on a different night (or morning) on a particular course.  Are there other leagues that compete over a longer period of time?  For example, the biggest league in my area is a 4 month handicapped doubles thing.

Also, to whom would I get involved with to assist in the '09 worlds organization?  I'm not sure if you're going to full out build new courses, but I imagine some serious volunteer work will be needed, and would like to donate my time.

I look forward to meeting many of you over the course of the Summer/Fall.

Thanks!

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
Re: Moving to KC in June
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 12:02:30 PM »
There's league every night of the week, the summer leagues running from daylight savings in Spring to daylight savings in Fall. Glow leagues are on the inverse schedule, and only twice a week. Homie league ($25.00 skins) never ever ends. I moved here from CR 10 years ago, and there is really a great appreciation here for all the volunteers, always something you can do in just an hour or two a week that makes a difference. You can join the club very easily, officers are elected in November I think.
espouse elucidation

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 02:23:38 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I was also curious about Cliff Drive, which is the only course in the area that I haven't played.  Some of the folks on the Iowa board were mentioning how unsafe they felt in the area; is it a safe place to play by yourself?

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 02:49:17 PM »
guess it depends..

i've played there several times in the middle of the day and never felt threatened, well, unless poison ivy is as mean to you as it is to me

Chainsaw

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 09:31:35 PM »
Just go with a couple buddies.

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 09:48:42 PM »
My name is Bob Hayett.  I'm the current course coordinator at Prairie Center Park in Olathe.  Occasionally I need volunteers, and we're definitely going to need an army of volunteers in '09 for the Worlds, pro and am.  Welcome to KC, I'm sure you'll enjoy the fine courses we have here, and some new courses going in this next year or two look like they're going to be a fine challenge as well.  Come on out to Prairie Center Monday evening some time, we tee off at 6:00.  Then when the clock gets turned back in the Fall we have Saturday morning league (usually random draw doubles) and then on Monday evening there's been glow random draw doubles which is a blast.  Later...

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 02:04:41 PM »
guess it depends..

i've played there several times in the middle of the day and never felt threatened, well, unless poison ivy is as mean to you as it is to me

The plants don't really bother me that much.  Thanks for the info; I'll be in town for about 3 weeks before I start working, and Cliff Drive seems to be the most balanced course in the area.  Aside from the Rosedale down under course, there isn't anything that could be classified as "wooded" in the area, right?

Keizer

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 06:38:45 PM »
Cliff Drive is located in a shady part of town, but it's nothing to worry about during the day. You'll see not only other disc golfers, but cyclists, joggers, and fishermen as well. (There is a small lake there that people fish. It's not along the disc golf route, although there is a picturesque view of it from the #9 tee-pad.)
I play solo there all the time and I've never had any problems.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 10:14:19 PM »
There are wooded holes on a couple of other courses but the only truly wooded course we have is Down Under. Cliff Drive has the most wooded holes beyond DU though, as you said.

Cliff Drive rocks! I'm really enjoying seeing it come to life as it matures as a disc golf course. It will eventually be as good or better than anything else in town in my humble opinion. And I agree with Keizer, I don't see a problem throwing solo there during the daytime but it'll be more fun to have company so make sure you post when you are heading out there so others can join you.

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 11:35:10 PM »
Indeed, Cliff Drive is KC's newest gem!  8)
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!