Author Topic: State of Birdland  (Read 1189 times)

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
State of Birdland
« on: April 14, 2019, 08:44:35 PM »
I wanted to let everyone know what's happening out at Lake Olathe.   Most of Phase 1 of the park renovation is scheduled to be completed by mid June. Unfortunately the Disc Golf course was impacted more than the Architect, the City, or I thought it would, mostly due to a bust in the estimated amount of excavated material from the construction. It does however currently look like the course will be open this year, hopefully by late Summer. When the course is planted again we can look forward to longer tee boxes and new holes that I think will be super cool and unlike anything else in the region!

Jerry Patterson

• Pro Poster
Re: State of Birdland
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 06:46:27 AM »
Thanks for the update!
Jerry Patterson
KCFDC Sgt. At Arms
Pdga #73600

MK

• Pro Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 11:59:44 AM »
I wanted to let everyone know what's happening out at Lake Olathe.   Most of Phase 1 of the park renovation is scheduled to be completed by mid June. Unfortunately the Disc Golf course was impacted more than the Architect, the City, or I thought it would, mostly due to a bust in the estimated amount of excavated material from the construction. It does however currently look like the course will be open this year, hopefully by late Summer. When the course is planted again we can look forward to longer tee boxes and new holes that I think will be super cool and unlike anything else in the region!

Thanks Tom!

Can you give us an idea of what parts of the course will be gone and what will stay?  Or will it be a complete redesign?
Mike Krueger
KCDFC #1692
PDGA #67309
KCFDC Board Member

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 12:47:09 PM »

Thanks Tom!

Can you give us an idea of what parts of the course will be gone and what will stay?  Or will it be a complete redesign?

That is yet to be determined, but after touring the grounds with the City Saturday, not much will be the same, and what's coming is going to be unbelievable!  ;)

air show

• Novice Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 09:18:33 PM »
Any updates?

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 05:35:03 AM »
Any updates?

The Parks department should have a contractor building tee boxes this month. We have some woods to clear on three holes and we have to plant new sleeves. I'm hoping this happens before Thanksgiving. New signage and new trees will come along over the next six months or so.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 09:55:05 AM »
UPDATE:

The basket sleeves have been installed and tee box construction should start this week.

We have woods to clear on holes 4 and 5 before those holes are playable, and woods to clear on hole 18 long before it is playable.

I hope to have the course playable (except 18 long) by November 10th.

Signage, new trees, and other goodies will come along eventually too.  8)

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 09:57:36 AM »
Push for the following weekend so we can get everyone to the club elections dinner. Then we can go play it the next week. :)
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 07:43:03 AM »
UPDATE:

All (18) 5'-2" x 12'-2" tee boxes are in and being back filled this week. All (36) basket sleeves (2 per hole) and a practice basket sleeve are installed. The woods clearing on holes 4, 5, and 18 is mostly complete.

Tee signs and course map will come over the next six months.

I haven't heard it directly from the Parks personnel, but on their website it says the course will be open for play this Saturday, November 9.  8)

Yabba dabba doo!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:13:54 AM by Tom »

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 01:27:06 PM »
UPDATE:

The Parks folks just confirmed with me.....course will be open for play Saturday.

Jerry Patterson

• Pro Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 01:54:56 PM »
Awesome,  Thanks Tom
Jerry Patterson
KCFDC Sgt. At Arms
Pdga #73600