Author Topic: SMPDGC installation in progress - help needed - event on July 22nd  (Read 3979 times)

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Shawnee Mission Park Disc Golf Course is well on its way to becoming a reality. We have received final board approval to begin installation effective immediately. This is a very exciting time for everyone who has had the vision of playing disc golf at SMP, as it was the location of the inaugural Kansas City Wide Open 25 years ago.

The course will be implemented in a phased approach. The first phase is installation of the baskets, which is where we are at right now. The  JoCo parks department has agreed upon purchase of Mach III baskets, which we are very pleased with. The parks dept. will help auger the holes where we need them. The KCFDC has agreed to be the primary resource in getting the concrete poured for basket bases. We will need help from club members getting this accomplished. At that point in time we will have a concrete date for setting the baskets and announce the opening of the course.

The second phase will not be approached until at the earliest next year, when tee pad and bench installation will proceed. At this point we need to battle test the design and flow of the course.

So there are still a few outstanding issues before we get to that point. First is course preparation which is currently underway. I will be out at the park on weekend mornings trimming and shaping the fairways until the course is in shape. If you would like to help me out I’ve got a few of the clubs power tools to get things done. If you’re interested in helping leave me your contact information though a message here or call me at 816.678.4468. Under NO circumstances should anyone do any "maintenance" on their own, as I have explicit instructions from the park manager on what is able to be done.

Secondly there will be an Ad Hoc event at the park on Sunday July 22nd at 10am. I want to give everyone a chance to play the course before we set the pins so that any feedback can be considered. We have already had a number of experienced players go through the course and given recommendations which have helped shape the course already, so I think we will have a lot of fun getting a glimpse of what is to come. 

The plan is to get people to bring out individual baskets and set up a temp course, so if you can bring a basket (especially metal ones) come out between 9 and 9:30am and we will set up your basket on the course. We will run as many holes as we have baskets for and then move the baskets to the remainder of holes complete the round. This is not a league, it does not cost anything, just a chance to show your support for the new course.

See you at the park!

Dirk

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
Re: SMPDGC installation in progress - help needed - event on July 22nd
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 11:46:05 AM »
AWESOME!
 8)
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 06:16:01 PM »
concrete date
:D

Great job getting your course approved!  Can't wait to see it; I've never even been to that park.

Some questions about the design...

Will it be designed for the blue skill level (950 rated) or another?  Are multiple tee pads in the plans for another skill level?  (Always best to think early on that one).  Will the par / scoring average be around 54 or a different number?

One thing you could do at your event is keep scores from the target skill level.  See how well each hole does with producing different scores.  If a hole doesn't produce enough scoring variation, a little shorter, longer, or especially trickier could help.  On more open holes, producing 3 different scores (birdie, par, bogey) isn't really possible; in that case 2 scores is better than just 1.  If you have the terrain/foliage you should go for 3 scores when you can.

Hope the event goes well and you get some good feedback!

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 09:21:33 PM »
Thanks! Its been a lot of fun being involved in the process.

The design started with getting to know the land really well, being there at different times of day, year, weather conditions ect.  Playing terrain forward/backward, finding out what makes interesting holes. Some holes just stand out because the terrain is so good or it logically flows, so you start from there and draft ideas, hundreds of them. Go out play it and revise it. Have people come out and play it and get feedback and revise some more.

The course has been designed with many factors in mind and is very extensible, through a design principle where the implementation takes into consideration current needs as well as future growth. Individual hole configurations can allow for modification while minimizing impact to overall course flow. Multiple Tee pads are a possibility on some of the holes, those considerations will be addressed as we prepare for 09' Worlds.

I foresee definite configurations in an A. B. C. placement system. On the short side the course will be able to play around 6000', tilting the course could allow for a length between 8000-9000'. There will be much diversity in shot types. A fair balance of holes with hyser/anhyser, uphill/downhill, wide/narrow, ceiling, natural and man made OB, ect.. 

Initially we will start with one placement per hole. Though we can install a challenging layout, we would be better served to start by setting up a configuration that is more inviting for the moderate to beginning level players. I think we will get a lot of new people trying the sport for the first time at SMP. We will be highly visible and the curiosity factor will be a big draw.That being said it will take some restraint on my behalf from implementing more challenging configurations. Longer is not always better but can be very exciting given the proper design considerations. If I had to compare the concept to anything locally I would point to Swope vs. Swope Gold. However, SMP will be flexible within its basic course layout vs. creating new holes. 

The combination of these configurations will of course produce different ranges of scoring distribution. Having that flexibility will contribute to the courses ability to host a variety of player groups. If the course is in a Short A. placement I would expect to shoot several stokes under par as a decent player. In C. setting I would think closer to 60 would be good, in moderate B. positions I would consider this a par 54 course. Baselines for rating the course can be extrapolated by setting all baskets in alike configuration.

And while its not the sole determining factor in a holes success, I do agree that score variation on a majority of the holes is a desirable outcome. There will be quite a few birdie opportunities and some long 3s that will be easily bogeyed in a moderate setting. The opportunity to optimize these parameters has been fully considered and will continue to be adjusted as we get more experience with a variety of players on the course.

Dirk

« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 09:23:27 PM by Shawnee »

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 02:14:48 AM »
Wow.  Sounds very well thought through.  Every bit will be very appreciated with the end result.

Natural / man made OB sounds great and should improve the character and score distribution of the holes.  Considering the balance of hole distances and fairway shapes is also a very good move.  There aren't a lot of courses with really good balance.

Something else that is missing from most courses out there is challenging greens.  Putting the basket behind some trees creates a controlled upshot, which also emphasizes more the placement of the drive.  This is mostly for holes not quite reachable from the tee.  Another thing that can make the green harder is elevation drops around the basket.  Planting and growing trees can take a while if you don't already have them, but a load of dirt can be pretty easy to do.

Sounds like this course is going to be another huge success for KC.  Wish I could come to your event.  I'll be in Beloit for the KS State Championship.

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 03:06:02 PM »
This rocks!!!
I went to Theater in the Park last night, (yes even disc golf dudes need a little culture now and then).

Anyway there appeared to be several flags where pins might be located at some point?

I'm not sure If there is a course map available yet? I created a quick Google map with the four pins I saw? The location is a general guess.....

Dirk depending on date/time I'll bring a wheelbarrow and fill holes with cement.  Ping me at:
davidemerson (at) swbell (dot) net
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

savagesam

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 09:58:38 PM »
The link below show's what the Johnson County site last showed as hole locations. Holes are labeled 1 thru 18 in the Walnut Grove area (9).  Dirk do you have any commitments for baskets for this Sunday's round?

http://jcprd.com/pages/img/smpmaster.pdf
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 10:03:12 PM by savagesam »
"ROC N ROLL"

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 11:34:15 PM »
You got to zoom in!!  That park is huge.

If this map is accurate, it looks like the front 9 is more wooded.

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 11:02:26 AM »
The course runs along the upper ridge just West of the admin buildings down Barkley Dr. then towards the lake and back along the south side of Barkley Cir, similar to the masterplan map link on jcprd.org.

We will meet on hole 1, which is on Barkley Drive. Take a right at the entrance off of 79th and Renner, go around the corner and park along the road by the bathrooms.

At this point I plan to have at least 9 baskets out there, so if you have more bring em.
I have 2, Mark Morales said he can bring 3, Jack has a 2 that Im hoping someone can pick up from his place (Penney?), Bob has 1 - so were getting close.

Bring baskets out between 9 - 9:30 to get them in place, we'll start playing around 10.

Also i will be out working this thursday at 6pm and Saturday at 10 am. I could use an extra hand to get some trimming done. call me 816.678.4468 if you can help.

If this will be your new home course, come out and help make it better!

thanks,
Dirk

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 01:23:29 PM »
If this map is accurate, it looks like the front 9 is more wooded.

I like the sound of that.  KC could use some more wooded, technical holes.

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 02:22:50 PM »
OK 3 days until we have some fun at SMP. I have been out doing a lot of trimming and brush cutting. The parks dept came out and mowed. I'd say they did not get the fairways wide enough but, they are new to this so we will get them on track.

That leaves some tall grass to contend with which means the possibility of chiggers, so I HIGHLY recommend bringing some insect repellent with deet. the course is pretty friendly but since its brand new if you get off track on a few holes there is some dense brush or high grass. Poison ivy is also frequent in certain patches around trees, so be forewarned. Buji is a great product to wipe off the PI oil if you think you got into some. In any case consider wearing hightops, pants or tube socks, as its way worth it to do a little preperation than to deal with insect bites and Poison ivy for a week after the fact.

Still planning on getting rolling at 10am Sunday morning July 22nd!

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 02:38:16 PM »
Workday at Shawnee Mission this Saturday Morning 10 am.

Meet west (behind) the admin building off the Renner entrance.  I have a white Honda CRV.

Bring a weed whacker or brush cutter if you've got one, also gloves and protective eyewear, water, repellant.

First is course preparation which is currently underway. I will be out at the park on weekend mornings trimming and shaping the fairways until the course is in shape. If you would like to help me out I’ve got a few of the clubs power tools to get things done. If you’re interested in helping leave me your contact information though a message here or call me at 816.678.4468

So far NO one has contacted me to help.

also Bring a basket on Sunday between 9-9:30 if you got one..

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 03:24:25 PM »
You might not get too much help this Saturday with the H2Open happening. I would think plenty of folks would make it out on Sunday though. I'd be there if I were in town, but I will be gone for the weekend. Good luck and thanks for all the hard work getting this new course going! I'm looking forward to seeing it take shape.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

savagesam

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 09:50:48 PM »
Dirk, I will try to make it out for awhile tomorrow. I've got to drop a kid off at 10:00 and then pick up some paper work. Should be there in the neighborhood of 10:30. I've got a weed eater with a brush attachment. For Sunday I would like to bring out my baskets. I've got 5 chain modified In steps. Only problem is I have to work at 2:00 that day. Need to be out of there by about 12:45.
"ROC N ROLL"

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 03:07:31 PM »
Wow! That's some map! At first I thought each hole was a Par 72 until I zoomed in on the right area  :o

I've not been out there for a number of years, but I used to go out just to throw and that's where it SHOULD go...at least the FIRST course!!
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."