Author Topic: Lee's Summit Course close-need some support  (Read 6357 times)

Keizer

Re: Lee's Summit Course close-need some support
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2007, 10:09:18 AM »
why not propose to the opposition a round of disc golf in a casually organized setting? give them a shiny new aviar and let the healing begin.

I like that idea. We could bring a cooler full of Dom Perignon and some high-end cigars as well. They'll think we're all soooooo-phisticated! ;D

In all seriousness, that is a good idea. They say you get more bees with honey...

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2007, 10:54:07 PM »
when's the next meeting? is it going to be posted elsewhere?

maybe we could get a bunch of locals to go?

it seems to me there's always a complaint of minimal physical work being volunteered from the dg community, however, if you don't want anyone else around to help plan, don't harp when they're not there later. unless thats what you're into( hey, i like to complain too)

This does make sense because we heard about the meeting after it happen...
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2007, 06:13:08 PM »
The park board had asked for members of the EC to attend and discuss the idea of disc golf.  I am working on a presentation if you will of what the KCFDC has done to help parks in KC, and should be able to counter all arguments about it being bad, there are bad eggs in life, and disc golf is not alone, but we have collectively as most of us are members done a good job pushing our sport to the betterment of the communities that we are in, not a detriment to it.  When the park wants a collective showing of support for the project, and open to all parties, we will clearly let everyone know.  The old adage too many cooks in the kitchen applies right now, and we want to ensure that are efforts and the parks efforts are in unison.  The efforts not only on the E side of KC, but also the W side in Shawnee Mission will take time, we do not have a strong track record in these municipalities as we do in WyCo and KCMO P&R, we want to ensure we are favorably viewed not only by the P&R but in this instance non-threatening to the land owners who have valid concerns about their property.  If you owned land that was being used differently than it had been in 50 years, you'd be just as upset, we want to partner with them and have them aware of the benefits of our sport, and also the realization that their backyeard is going to change with or without them, and we can help in some concerns, so lets partner up!

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2007, 11:24:11 PM »
  When the park wants a collective showing of support for the project, and open to all parties, we will clearly let everyone know.  The old adage too many cooks in the kitchen applies right now, and we want to ensure that are efforts and the parks efforts are in unison. 

Jack

Right you are Jack I misunderstood I thought the guy that started this was mad that no one showed up to the meeting and wanted more support...
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2007, 10:23:43 AM »
well...

the disc golf course at pottberg park is....DEAD

though the residents said that they weren't opposed to disc golf in general, the homeowner's association later presented info to the Lee's Summit Parks Board that indicated that they were not opposed to the walking trail in the park, but are opposed to ANY DISC GOLF in the park period.   they think that it will increase crime and decrease property values.

if you'd like to read the full doc, see:

http://www.lees-summit.mo.us/content/parks/SeptemberBoardPacket.pdf

search for golf, you'll find the appropriate areas..

however, on the brighter side of things, Legacy Park (a VERY large lee's summit park) is now being considered for possible disc golf development

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2007, 10:44:48 AM »
Page 122 is where the disc golf starts......some concerns are valid, some are not, but it is their land.  They made the choice.

As you can tell from the previous comments, here is a follow up from teh P&R of Lees Summitt.  We need to have you that live in teh area and are in support to attend this meeting please.  The lack of people in attendance for the Pottberg Park was not the issue, it was simply the homeowners not wanting to expand their nesting communtiy to disc golfers.  Change is hard for many to come by.  Lets ee what we can build from here.

Jack,

As you can probably gather, we have scrapped plans for disc golf at
Pottberg Park.  There was too much voiced opposition to using the park
for disc golf.  We still believe there is strong support for a course in
Lee's Summit so we are looking for feasible sites.  The shelter venue at
the park has much more parking accessible and also restrooms in place.

As for invitees, please extend the invitation to your club.  We would
particularly like to see support from club members in this area of the
metro.  Our park board is very supportive of building a course and will
be a priority for them to review in the next fiscal budget which will
start to commence early in '08.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 10:15 AM
To: Steve Casey
Subject: Re: Disc Golf Committee Meeting

Steve,

Do you want this open to all excited about the disc golf possibility, or
just members of the board from our group?

Please advise.  I also have a fellow Kiwani member that lives in the
area that is in support of disc golf,  Roger Kelly.  I will work on
making sure that he is in attendance if his schedule permits.

Thanks,

Jack

--
===o {>[]----

Jack Lowe
President-KCFDC
http://www.KCFDC.org
816.231.3622-H
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

-------------- Original message from "Steve Casey"
<Steve.Casey@lees-summit.mo.us>: --------------

Lee's Summit Parks and Recreation would like to invite you to
attend a work session to discuss plans for a disc golf course at Legacy
Park.  The meeting will be held at the large park shelter at Legacy Park
on Monday evening October 22nd at 5:30pm (weather permitting).  If
weather prohibits us from meeting on site, we will move the meeting to
the City Hall Parks offices.  The focus of the meeting will be to review
and discuss the feasibility of developing a course on existing park
property and review conceptual layout plans.  We hope you can attend.

Directions to the Legacy Park Shelters:

Take Colbern Road east to Blackwell Parkway.  Turn south on
Blackwell to Coneflower Rd.  (Coneflower is first left).  Take
Coneflower east to the shelter parking area.

Steve Casey, RLA, ASLA

Assistant Superintendent of Park Planning and Development

Lee's Summit Parks and Recreation

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 11:57:46 AM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2007, 04:58:33 PM »
I live a couple minutes from that park and would put as much time as possible into a course there.  I'll be there for the meeting for sure but not quite by 5:30, I work until 5.

If anyone see's Jason Lyon around he lives right there too but I don't believe he has access to email. 

It's a large park with some beautiful shots.

Eric

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2007, 03:45:39 PM »
HMMM seems quite strange that I was trying to get this together last may and was told there was no plan whatsoever to put a course in Legacy Park and I had typed up a proposal that took quite a bit of my own time doing price research with all the bells and whistles. Along with newspaper articles and stats. When I contacted the KCFDC for alittle help I was met with some harsh words. Telling me not to push the issue.... But I see now that its someone elses idea we are supposed to come out in full force to PUSH the issue... Thanks for the support before. I have a feeling if I would of went ahead with my efforts we could already be playing out there today.. But whatever I guess others know best. Once again thanks for all your support last may!!!!! :'(
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 10:20:52 AM by Flickdaddy »

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2007, 03:59:02 PM »
What Harsh words were you met with?  I find that hard to believe, I do remember talking with someone about a course last year, but I also know that I have been talking with the Lees Summitt P&R for about 2 years now on disc related issues.  I doubt that you were met with Harsh words, but I also know for a fact that no one has ever presented to the KCFDC an idea about a course or asked to be a part of the meetings to discuss this issue.

The P&R are the folks that are pushing this venue, not the KCFDC, and they felt as though that the Pottberg Park made more sense, and probably did until the neighborhood association vetoed it down.

I fully doubt that any one specifically told you to not push the issue, we actually work very hard at manking sure that we can support all disc golf efforts.

Call me off line if you have any questions.  My phone is always on.

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Eric

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 10:12:32 AM by Flickdaddy »

Eric

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2007, 08:36:26 PM »
So...... I belive you've had enough time to read and weep there jacko.. You were the one who told me to NOT PRESS the issue and led on with "just because its not in your backyard". Yes you were met with someone wanting to put a course in at Leagacy park. That was me that you stiffed. Further more all I wanted from the KCFDC at the time was member numbers and tourny turn out numbers and all you gave me was your wonderful advice to "play other courses in the area". Well, being how we are in Lees Summit (NOT KC) I really dont understand where your jurisdiction ends? Its been rummored that you have stummped previous plans for courses in this area with your bright ideas. Well guess what chap we still dont have a course out here... Is it your fault???? hmmm certainly starting to appear that way.. Sure seems if you dont have your hand in it, Its not a good idea. Well guess what chief your not helping the disc golf community that I have grown to love over my 12 years in the sport. So either put up or shut up and let people do what they will to get courses where they believe it may help. Just because you have "COURSES IN YOUR BACKYARD" doesnt mean everyone else wants to play with golfers of your likeing. Im in the sport for fun and have been since the start. Not for the rep and credit that obviously feeds your feeble mind. :o

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2007, 10:36:56 PM »
I would delete that last post.  This will only succeed in making everyone upset at you.  And that won't help get any courses in.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2007, 11:10:07 PM »
Flickdaddy, you're not helping matters at all with this rant. The KCFDC has been talking to Lee's Summit about getting a course in out there since before Jack was even on the board. Lighten up.

If you don't have anything intelligent and constructive to add to this public forum perhaps nothing at all would be best.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 11:12:43 PM by Nivek9 »
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2007, 07:50:26 AM »
It sounds like the city wants a course in. Is this meeting next monday open to all enthusiasts? I don't live there, but, I would like to come to the meeting next Monday to show support. I have a co-worker/player that lives there and I will let him know about it too. Should we have a basket or two on hand for demonstration purposes?

It's unfortunate Flick is upset. If the information he gathered is still available, perhaps it could be used/presented at the meeting.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2007, 08:02:07 AM »
geez flickdaddy, who crapped in your cereal?

it's not jack's fault that there's not a course in legacy park...the city chose pottberg park, and has done so twice now...once it was struck down by the army corp of engineers, now it's been struck down by the homeowner's association in the same place...

it was the parks board's choice to put it there and it's their choice now to put one in legacy park...

the whole "i told you so" attitude just won't get you very far around here

bp