Author Topic: Lee's Summit Course close-need some support  (Read 6359 times)

Eric

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Lee's Summit Course close-need some support
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2007, 12:20:56 PM »
The reason that Im upset should be apparent. I got someone telling me that I had never asked for alittle info to help get a couse put in out here. I have been in contact by people who remain nameless that have told me they ran into the same issues. So if you were in my shoes maybe you would understand my frustration with the situation. I wouldnt have pointed fingers if I hadnt made contact with the guy before. This is not the case. Im not trying to win brownie points with anyone Im just trying to explain the situation. Is that not what a forum is for?

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
what's your point? big deal, jack didn't jump through hoops so you could feel good about yourself...do you want some kind of credit for your work?

the truth of the matter is, legacy park wasn't on lee's summit's radar then...i also said something about this to the parks board during their initial meeting about pottberg park a few months ago and they were adamant about using pottberg...

besides, who told you that you needed jack's permission anyways?  as a citizen, you have the right to approach the parks board if you want a course.  you may have better luck w/ the kcfdc behind you, but as far as i know you don't need a notarized document signed by jack lowe to float the idea of a course.  i know jack to be a take charge kind of guy, but if you think that he's talking down to you because he asked you to back off a little bit, i think you're reading into it a little too much...i have a feeling that lee's summit is a little touchy and maybe jack thought that if we approached them the wrong way, we'd never get a course here...

i live in lee's summit too and want a course here as bad as anyone, but to fly off the handle because you think you got disrespected makes you come off like a 16 year old...a forum is for constructive discussion and feedback, not bashing of certain people because you feel that you got wronged somehow
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 12:44:30 PM by phisherman_77 »

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2007, 02:22:11 PM »
Whoooaaa.

Lets lok at this, and realize that yo-u altered your post after my comments, so I am not really in a position to remember everything that you said and how I responded to it, but I will give it my best shot.

"If they have no intentions of putting one in why worry about it?  There are plenty of places with courses going in, just because one is not "in your backyard" does not mean that you should push an item that may alienate the P&R from future usage.  I would suggext talking with me about it prior to going forward."

What that is telling me is that you had already discussed with the land owners and that they were not going to put in a disc golf course in the area.  What also is not listed here is that at this time we were already knowing that a park was being looked at in Lees Summit at Pottberg Park, but was still in its infancy stages.  I also "suggest" that you talk wtih me prior to giong forward.  I never heard from you in regards with this, there are many things that I will say to someone on the phone, or better yet in person to actually discuss, and get into a constructive conversation that will not probably happen in a discussion room of a forum.

"I have worked on the development of 4 courses in the area, and talked with people from Lees Summit and Harrisonville about courses."

Here I indicate that I have already talked with the people in these areas, and knew of the chances for courses going in but do not disclose this, because things aer moving forward, and sometimes they fall apart.

"I understand the desire to use land that you feel may be great, but there is quite a bit of history with the club members and who has heard what, and talked with who, it would make you more informed in any case."

Again this sums up what I was saying to begin with, TALK to someone, come to a meeting, make a phone call and figure out how to get things done, typing in a FORUM is typically not going to get an answer, it will only give ideas.  Answers are still made by people, and generally not on a machine.

Agree whole heartedly that others can step up but you need to also be a part of that process, not type something and feel disrespected.

Hope this helps, I understand your frustration, but again better communication would be advised.  My name and number and contact information is available all over the place that you are upset about, the internet, so when I say I never heard, I did never hear.  I read and type many comments, and maybe this is why I choose to stay away from some porums, but the KC one I think makes sense, as all of us can learn by it, and use it to help us better communicate, which is what i think happened here to cause your pain.

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2007, 12:34:11 PM »
Flickdaddy,

What's your name?  We're always looking for more help and volunteers, and if you live in or near Lee's Summit, I'm sure you can be an asset.  I think what Jack was saying before is that we already had talks with the people at Lee's Summit, and they were leaning toward using Pottberg Park at the time, and he really didn't want to duplicate efforts.  We actually went to a Lee's Summit City Council meeting 8 years ago to try and get a course in Pottberg Park, and that was only after Lee's Summit Parks and Rec had contacted us about putting a course in there.  So we've had contact with them for a while now. Realize that we are sort of at the mercy of the city (or landowner) for whatever parkland we can use for disc golf.  No one's saying Legacy Park wasn't a good place for a course, but the city up until now was focused solely on Pottberg Park.  If you have ideas for Legacy Park, call Jack or me.  My cell number is 816-547-6148.  It's actually encouraging that the city responded by offering Legacy Park so quickly after the plans at Pottberg Park fell through (this second time).

John Chapman
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2007, 02:58:14 PM »
We actually went to a Lee's Summit City Council meeting 8 years ago .....

Wow, was it that long ago......  :o I must be gettin' old or something......  ::)

I remember having a disc golf basket and about a dozen club members in the meeting room as the parks department discussed it. They were really receptive and then it all fell apart shortly thereafter.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2007, 09:07:25 AM »
Back to something productive.  I appreciate Flickdaddy's enthusiasm, and hopefully this will help in our efforts to work with the Lees Summit P&R, for those of you attending the meeting, or planning on it, here is an updated time and location for tonight:

Due to inclement weather, the meeting tonight which was originally
scheduled to be outdoors at the new Legacy Park shelters will be moved
to City Hall Parks Offices at 6pm.  The new city hall is located at 220
SE Green Street in downtown Lee's Summit.  Enter from the south side
doors off of 3rd Street.  The parks offices are located on the first
floor.  Please let me know via email if you are able to attend. ( Steve.Casey@lees-summit.mo.us )

Steve Casey, RLA, ASLA

Assistant Superintendent of Park Planning and Development

Lee's Summit Parks and Recreation

220 SE Green Street

Lee's Summit, Missouri 64086

ph:   816.969.1507

fax:  816.969.1515

cell:  816.969.8706

===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2007, 10:56:38 AM »
i'll be there.  hopefully we'll have a good turnout.  this could be a very fine course and we sure need one on this side of town.

Eric

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2007, 07:34:03 PM »
I was hoping that I could of made the meeting but I didnt get out of work til 7. Gotta love them 12 hour days...... Hope everything went well.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2007, 10:08:50 AM »
it was a good turnout:
Leslie Palmer
Brian Palmer
Will Love
Jr. Love
Jack Lowe
Dan Coffman
John Theiss
Heath (unsure of last name)
Jake Bowen
were in attendance, and the plan looks pretty good.  We are going to try and plan a watch/look around over the next couple of weekends, we have a prelim map and discussed the idea of housing discs on the community center.  They have thought this through pretty solidly, it goes before the P&R board tomorrow night, if you are a lees summit resident, I would suggest writing a letter to the park board expressing your interest.

It is moving forward, Wednesday will tell if it is this year.....wow....or next....they are looking at finance options....

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

The Can tankerous A.N.G

• Pro Poster
  • Don't look now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2007, 02:32:56 PM »
Thanks all for showing and supporting.  You are a tribute to the disc golfing community.  :D

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2007, 08:57:04 AM »
i walked the initial layout of the course.  there are many trees, old and new, that will be a great challenge with the right layout.  but the whole thing is pretty much prairie land that will need mowed down and by the looks of it hasn't ever been mowed down.  it's really hard to get around in and get a feel of how the course could flow.

but more than anything that section of the park is large, beautiful, unused and there's a huge section of land in the southeast section that the initial layout didn't even touch.  the elevation changes and space give a lot of options for hole and pin placement.  if allowed to be it could be a very difficult course.

hope for the best tonight. 

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2007, 09:10:23 AM »
The Park Board heard the suggestion for a course, and no action was moved forward on it as of now, but it was met with an enthusiastic stance from the board.  We are hopeful at this time that the next meeting will have a motion to move forward with approval of funding securement for the plan.  At this time it appears that things should be ok to move forward with regard to this, but I would ask that you help.

Here is how, send letters supporting the disc golf course in legacy Park, particularly if you are a Lees Summit resident, those will be added to the mext meeting, which is a combined meeting for November and December.  I would send it to the
Lees Summitt Park Board
C/O "I want a Disc Golf Course Please"
220 SE Green
Lee's Summit, MO 64063

If you do not live in the area, you may want to indicate that you would be willing to drive to the park once it is in, and look forward to playing on yet another disc golf course within the Kansas City metropolitan area.

I will keep you posted as we move forward with this and other areas of new places to play locally.

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

kohjahk

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2007, 09:42:02 AM »
My letter is sent.

Keizer

« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2007, 11:17:42 AM »
Just thought maybe this was worth mentioning here:

While at the William Yates Elementary tourney this past weekend, the PE teacher, Mr. Goodman, made  a little speech about the positive changes that have taken place since the course was put in at the school. One of the things he mentioned was how the grounds are no longer being used as a gathering place for neighborhood teenagers to drink and do drugs at. Everyone on the school staff is very pleased with what the course has done for the school and the surrounding neighborhood.
Anyway, I thought this might be useful information to have when confronted with HOA representatives who oppose a course going in near their homes. I know much of this issue with the Lee's Summit course has been laid to rest for the time being, but to have a positive reference to refer these folks to in the future might be a good thing. These words of praise for disc golf coming from folks in the education field can only be positive ammunition for someone trying to sell the idea of a prospective course.
So, next time there's a meeting for this course, it might be a good idea to ask the folks at WYE if they might submit their written opinions on the matter. I think that it would be a good thing to have in your back pocket when dealing with the HOA folks.