Author Topic: Backhand vs Forehand  (Read 931 times)

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
Backhand vs Forehand
« on: August 01, 2007, 10:43:47 AM »
How many of you throw exclusively backhand?

How many of you throw exclusively forehand?

How many can throw both?

Dan  8)
For a good time: Lat- 39°25'8.92"N, Long- 94°33'18.52"W

Chainsaw

Re: Backhand vs Forehand
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 04:34:12 PM »
I can throw both, although my distance with my backhand is much better. I will throw a forehand shot in certain situations, depending on dump angle, terrain/slope, wind, etc...

Keizer

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 04:51:19 PM »
I'm a lefty, and can throw both ways. I haven't been playing very long and, at first, the backhand throw was the only way I could throw and get any type of considerable distance. Unfortunately, I could only get discs to curve to the right that way-- even if I used an understable disc.

I started throwing forehand with an Orc so that I could get the disc to curve to the left. I use a very light grip for these kinds of throws. The disc doesn't go very far, but it is good for those short dogleg-lefts, or for avoiding the huge drop-offs on 2 and 12 at Cliff Drive. ;D

After a while I figured out that if I changed my grip a bit and held the disc a bit tighter, I could make a fairly long and straight throw with my forehand. This is great when I do it properly, but sometimes I think I throw it too hard, causing the disc to flip.

I need to work on consistency on both kinds of throws. My muscle memory sucks so usually I just have to take the good with the bad...

Mantis

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 09:06:34 PM »
I can throw both.... The C.E.Firebird is what I use for both....
Steve Dresser
816-914-9395
IN MEMORY OF MY FALLEN BROTHERS... THE MOST RECENT SGT. BRANTLEY THANK A SOLDIER SINCE YOU CAN PLAY DISC BECAUSE OF THEIR SACRIFICES

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 10:28:15 AM »
Sometimes a backhand with your other hand will give you the touch you need (like a 75-foot upshot) so you don't overpower a forehand.
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 12:25:35 PM »
I throw both, but with opposite hands.  LHFH, RHBH.  The forehand only gets used if I've got to stand still, have to reach around something, or am trying to hit a gap so small I don't want to take my eye off the target.