Author Topic: League?  (Read 1542 times)

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
League?
« on: September 19, 2007, 01:01:19 PM »
What happened to league at BV? Did it ever get off the ground, or have I just failed to hear anything more about it?
Mike Penney

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
Re: League?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 03:53:25 PM »
Lack of interest kind of killed it I think.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
That's too bad, it sounded like there were some fun ideas going into it. when Cliff Drive first started hosting a league, there was only 4 or 5 of us showing up on a regular basis. I don't think that winnings were accepted more then a few times, as to build up an Ace Fund. Fall is upon us, anybody wanna play on saterday's say 10 or 12. I prefer later vs. early, but would like to play that course more often. Too big of a piece of land to only see poeple on it 2 or 3 times a year IMHO.
Mike Penney

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 04:04:54 PM »
With a course that size, would it be more feasible to put everyone in one division and play some sort of handicapped league on the weekends?  Maybe spend a few weeks just playing without payout, then put the handicaps in effect? 

Anyways, if people would play out there, I think I'd join them more often.

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 05:51:47 PM »
I personally don't care about format, just wana play. Maybe it could be a doubles thing. Handicaps could be good, though I have no clue how they work. But it sounds like there's two of us. Where's Jami Danger, or Mark Morles, Jack? Anyone else wanna get something started out there?
Mike Penney

Chainsaw

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 08:12:23 PM »
These opinions are some of mine and of others who I have talked with:
Blue Valley League Pros:
- Get to play one of the longest/most challenging courses in the world on a frequent basis...
- And thus improve your game tremendously.
- Beautiful park/hole views. Surreal, and relaxing.
Blue Valley League Cons
- Doubles takes pretty much as long as singles out there.
- $10 buy-in for anyone who wants to play.
- Location is not convenient for a significant portion of people who do not live in close proximity to I-435.
- "Course is too long! I can't throw far enough to compete with..., it takes too much energy to walk it."
My recommendations - Singles because of attendance, it doesn't take any longer really. No cash buy-in; instead, side-bets between people who feel wiley. All bag tags are in play and are up for grabs, and everybody has a handicap. Everyone stops after 9-10 holes, taking a break at the shelter to eat, chill, recoup. That would keep up moral, and start a good Sunday social tradition.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 08:14:18 PM by Chainsaw »

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 09:48:14 PM »
I can send a handicap excel file for anyone that is intersted.