Author Topic: Call for you to HELP-Do you want to make a difference?  (Read 3625 times)

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Call for you to HELP-Do you want to make a difference?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 05:56:59 PM »
The club certainly needs a secretary in a bad way. I can't even remember the last news letter. There hasn't been many of those in the last 3 or so years.

What's does being secretary involve?  That may be a position I'd be interested in.

kohjahk

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 09:15:07 AM »
Energy is down with member involvment, only 50 out of 200 showed up for the championships.......
That is all the attendance you get because it is a two day four round event.  Lots of people can't or don't want to give up their entire weekend.

kohjahk

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 09:16:53 AM »
What's does being secretary involve?
Short skirts and lots of eye liner.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 12:26:28 PM »

The same attire as you would wear if you didn't commit one little weekend to play in the club championships.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 12:35:32 PM »
The club certainly needs a secretary in a bad way. I can't even remember the last news letter. There hasn't been many of those in the last 3 or so years.

What's does being secretary involve?  That may be a position I'd be interested in.

The Secretary is responsible for taking meeting minutes (either he or she does it and finds someone do it--thanks Kevin!!). After that, the minutes are written up and sent to the rest of the EC for approval. Once the minutes are approved, the Secretary posts them out here, perhaps through Topica (although that will likely be phased out  next year), and if they are really, really good, to get them posted on course boards.

The Secretary is also the lead person in getting newsletters out, ideally at least four times a year, and perhaps up to 6 mailings a year. Important information to convey includes announcements about elections, general meetings, events, work days, picnics, parties, hangings, etc. To foster better communication, the Secretary needs to be in almost constant communication with the other members of the EC to get them to share in the communication process. Having good writing skills is a big asset for anyone who is Secretary. A Secretary with some internet skills is plus as we'll want to send electronic newsletters when possible to save money and time. Once the NL is laid out, it must be printed, folded, addressed, stamped, and delivered to the post office. Extra copies should be delivered to league directors and DGW. A conscientious Secretary will likely be spending 20-30 hours per month.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 12:50:37 PM by Rick Rothstein »
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

kohjahk

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 01:14:30 PM »
The same attire as you would wear if you didn't commit one little weekend to play in the club championships.
Like I need an excuse to dress up?

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 05:12:04 PM »

I've got short chicken legs.  I don't think they'd look good in a skirt.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 05:13:12 PM »

The Secretary is responsible for taking meeting minutes (either he or she does it and finds someone do it--thanks Kevin!!). After that, the minutes are written up and sent to the rest of the EC for approval. Once the minutes are approved, the Secretary posts them out here, perhaps through Topica (although that will likely be phased out  next year), and if they are really, really good, to get them posted on course boards.

The Secretary is also the lead person in getting newsletters out, ideally at least four times a year, and perhaps up to 6 mailings a year. Important information to convey includes announcements about elections, general meetings, events, work days, picnics, parties, hangings, etc. To foster better communication, the Secretary needs to be in almost constant communication with the other members of the EC to get them to share in the communication process. Having good writing skills is a big asset for anyone who is Secretary. A Secretary with some internet skills is plus as we'll want to send electronic newsletters when possible to save money and time. Once the NL is laid out, it must be printed, folded, addressed, stamped, and delivered to the post office. Extra copies should be delivered to league directors and DGW. A conscientious Secretary will likely be spending 20-30 hours per month.

I think I've got all of those qualifications.  Does someone have to nominate you for these positions?

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 07:07:37 PM »

I think I've got all of those qualifications.  Does someone have to nominate you for these positions?

consider yourself nominated...as of NOW!
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 08:51:09 PM »

[/quote]

The Secretary is also the lead person in getting newsletters out, ideally at least four times a year, and perhaps up to 6 mailings a year. Important information to convey includes announcements about elections, general meetings, events, work days, picnics, parties, hangings, etc. To foster better communication, the Secretary needs to be in almost constant communication with the other members of the EC to get them to share in the communication process. Having good writing skills is a big asset for anyone who is Secretary. A Secretary with some internet skills is plus as we'll want to send electronic newsletters when possible to save money and time. Once the NL is laid out, it must be printed, folded, addressed, stamped, and delivered to the post office. Extra copies should be delivered to league directors and DGW. A conscientious Secretary will likely be spending 20-30 hours per month.
[/quote]

How long does it take to approve minutes through the EC?  Is that done through online communication?

As secretary of our club, I'm wanting to get minutes posted without having to wait a whole month or more to get them appoved in the next meeting.

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 09:02:54 PM »

The Secretary is also the lead person in getting newsletters out, ideally at least four times a year, and perhaps up to 6 mailings a year. Important information to convey includes announcements about elections, general meetings, events, work days, picnics, parties, hangings, etc. To foster better communication, the Secretary needs to be in almost constant communication with the other members of the EC to get them to share in the communication process. Having good writing skills is a big asset for anyone who is Secretary. A Secretary with some internet skills is plus as we'll want to send electronic newsletters when possible to save money and time. Once the NL is laid out, it must be printed, folded, addressed, stamped, and delivered to the post office. Extra copies should be delivered to league directors and DGW. A conscientious Secretary will likely be spending 20-30 hours per month.

I nominate Chris for secretary.
-Dennis Freeman
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 09:07:56 PM »

How long does it take to approve minutes through the EC?  Is that done through online communication?

As secretary of our club, I'm wanting to get minutes posted without having to wait a whole month or more to get them appoved in the next meeting.

If they get typed up and posted quickly we can approve them in a couple of days. We have a board-member-only area on the forum that we post minutes to. Then the board members can read and make comments on them and voice their approval. Once they are approved by a quorum we post them to the read-only area of the forum for everyone to see. Comments to the minutes can be made in a new thread in this area.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 10:27:38 AM »

I nominate Chris for secretary.
-Dennis Freeman

Getting the minutes posted up quickly shouldn't be a problem, as I would most likely type them up in the first place (I have horrible writing and much better typing skills), and get them posted within 24 hours.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 11:19:47 AM »
Getting the minutes posted up quickly shouldn't be a problem, as I would most likely type them up in the first place (I have horrible writing and much better typing skills), and get them posted within 24 hours.

That's the way it should be done but I would always write them out and then take forever getting them typed up to post. It's better to turn them around quickly to keep the to-do items fresh in everyone's mind. Thanks for stepping up and accepting the nomination.

Now if we could just get a meeting scheduled and get this thing back on track we'd be getting somewhere.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 03:50:05 PM »
As of last week Tracy Walker has been nominated as CC for WYCO. More power to ya Tracy!