Author Topic: Call for you to HELP-Do you want to make a difference?  (Read 3669 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Call for you to HELP-Do you want to make a difference?
« on: October 17, 2007, 10:11:27 AM »
It is that time again for the fall elections.  I would like to know if you are interested in making a difference in the way that disc golf is formulated around Kansas City.

The positions that are up for election are as follows:

President

Vice President of MO

Treasurer

Secretary (Former resigned)

All Course Coordinators:
Swope
Rosedale
Olathe
Down Under
Water Works
WyCo
Cliff Drive
Blue Valley
Shawnee Mission Park

In addition to these offices, we would also like to start to work with people that want to help with the 2009 Pro/Am Worlds and start to set up committees to make this event run smooth.  The Committees will vary, and will want to use your expertise in many areas to help us out.  The location for the meeting is to be determined, but with the by-laws, we need to have 30 days notice.  We are looking at the 13-15th of November to make this happen.  The Club Championships will be November 3-4

If you are interested in this position please contact Tavish Sanders our Sgt/Arms (913) 449-8381 or Dirk Hacker Vp of KS (816) 678-4468.

Here are the by-laws for the election process.

6. Nomination and elections of EC members. An election committee, consisting of two members of the EC who are not up for re-election, shall ensure that the elections are held according to the bylaws, including ensuring that the nominated members are active and are willing to accept their nominations. A call of nominations will be announced to all active (dues-paid) members via postal mail and/or email notification 30 days before the fall general membership meeting. An active member may nominate any other active member, including him or herself. The election committee shall announce the nominees for each office, and then ask for further nominations from the floor. Nominees from the floor must be present and agree to run before their nominations are accepted. All nominees (or their proxies) will have the opportunity to speak to the membership and answer questions. Ballots will be distributed as needed. All ballots will be collected and counted by the Election Committee, who will announce the winner before moving to the next officer to be elected. Each office will be voted on separately in this order: President, VP of MO, Treasurer, and the CCs in alphabetical order or VP of KS, Secretary, Sgt-At-Arms, and the CCs in alphabetical order. All at-large officers will serve two-year terms, with the President, VP of MO, and the Treasurer elected in odd-numbered years, and VP of KS, Secretary, and Sergeant-at-Arms elected in even-numbered years. Course Coordinators will serve one-year terms. Newly elected officers will assume office at the first Executive Committee meeting following their elections.

I would encourage you to use this forum to post why you feel qualified to handle the role you are requesting, and will create another forum to discuss the candidates.

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Call for you to HELP-Do you want to make a difference?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 04:31:31 PM »
I am interested in the great party that occurs at the POINT for elections!  I am in for drinking some beer on the club.  Who's with me?

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 05:55:51 PM »
Gee, it would be better if you'd be interested in helping the club progress, to make KC an even better place for disc golfing...

But, yeah, the party is pretty good, too! ;D

I want to be the KS VP.  Why?  I'm a masochist.  I want to be the one people go to when there's a problem with the city or county or whoever.  I want to have to be at EC meetings with a buncha other smelly guys who don't know when to shut up.

But I also want to help.  I want to do what I can to keep this area progressing, get even better relationships working with the government agencies and community groups, make sure that information about KCFDC activities gets to the membership, increase the membership numbers, and truly make the Kansas City area THE place for disc golf in the US. 

I dunno...the beer sounds good too.

When is the meeting actually going to happen?  If it's a Wednesday, I might not make it.

steve
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

kohjahk

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 09:35:54 AM »
What's wrong with looking forward to free beer from the club? :P

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:07:28 PM »
I have nominated Steve and Tom both to the election committee.  Both have shown interested in the position, so they will both be on the ballot.

I also heard that Brian Palmer was wanting to run for CC of Pleasant Hill.......??

It's really nice to see new people wanting to get involved!

Also, just because we already have two people interested, don't hesitate to jump on board if you feel like you want to get invloved....the more people pitch in, the better our "City-O-Golf" becomes.

Worlds in 2009!!!  Start practicing now!!!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 12:10:54 PM by Andy »
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 12:31:59 PM »
I'm not sure that the Pleasant Hill course falls under the KCFDC...it's not really my place to be CC out there; dan coffman would be a more logical choice as he actually lives in pleasant hill...BUT, I would be honored to serve as CC for the Legacy Park course in Lee's Summit when the time comes.

brian p

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 05:20:50 AM »
 Greetings and salutations to the KCFDC members!

The club president, Jack Lowe, suggested on this thread to post why one feels qualified to take on the responsibilitys of an elected club officer. I have been asked, and nominated to run for the position of Vice President for the Kansas side of the KCFDC. I accept the nomination and would like to now write a little about why I feel I will make a good officer.

My KCFDC club member number is 210. I first joined the club around 1991. I played a significant part in the construction and installation of the Prairie Center Disc Golf course. I helped with the installation of Wyco and have helped on workdays at several other courses as well. I have run league multiple times at PC and Wyco, and am in the third season of running a GLOW league at PC. I am a PDGA member (#22969) and have played Disc Golf, tournaments and courses in 8 states and one foreign country.

I will do my best to ensure that the membership, visitors, and all players on our courses have the best Disc Golf experiences and fun here in Kansas City, and that the membership obtains the best value possible for their dues.

I will strive to maintain and build upon the relationships the club has with the park departments and governing parties, as well as establish new relationships with parks departments where needed. 

I will do my best to coordinate with the Course Coordinators, and with the Missouri VP to make our weekly mini tournaments (leagues) as consistently ran as possible.

I will always be available to listen to you and help make the Kansas City Disc Golf Club a good and fun organization to belong to.

peace,
Tom

dananarama

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:31:47 AM »
Tom,

As a citizen of the Kansas City Disc Golf community I am concerned over rumors that you have connections with this man:

How do you respond to these allegations, and how do you address the concerns of fellow Disc Golf enthusiasts that feel you cannot serve effectively in a post of such great responsibility while mired in scandal?

Thanks for your reply,

Undecided In Lenexa

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 10:50:30 AM »
Hmmmm. Isn't that the infamous warrior from the Olathe Posse, Dances With Yorkies who laid waste long ago to the rebel bandits? I have heard of him, and think I have seen him once or twice at Wyco. Isn't he the guy in the picture with all the cuties by the pool too?   

To answer your question: I do not recall, senator, and I did not inhale.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 11:40:06 AM »
Hmmmm. Isn't that the infamous warrior from the Olathe Posse, Dances With Yorkies who laid waste long ago to the rebel bandits? I have heard of him, and think I have seen him once or twice at Wyco. Isn't he the guy in the picture with all the cuties by the pool too?   

To answer your question: I do not recall, senator, and I did not inhale.

Your answer is good enough for me. I believe you and whole heartedly support your nomination. Let's now put this scandal behind us. The Rebel Bandit Mafia are just being a bunch of mudslingers in this election campaign. Let's stick to the issues. Thanks for stepping up. The KCFDC is lucky to have you.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 08:50:27 PM »
I was unaware that the VP for KS was up for election, pretty sure it's the MO side that's up. I'd be willing to run so long as Mark doesn't want to do it again. Otherwise I'd rather be involved with Blue Valley, or Cliff Drive.
 The club certainly needs a secretary in a bad way. I can't even remember the last news letter. There hasn't been many of those in the last 3 or so years. Energy is down with member involvment, only 50 out of 200 showed up for the championships.......all these courses coming and we bearly have the courses we do have up to par. 
Mike Penney

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 10:28:48 PM »
i wish to throw my name in the hat for swope's cc position
 -matt hays
i know it's scary carrying cash in the park; but i'm 6'2'' 240(whatever) and i'd liketo see the club try to raise more money and awareness out of our clubhouse. reach kc's casual players with some regular hours of operation to talk frolf and let them get their hands on our clubs fundraising gear.
i'd also like to see the o.b.s be less 70's-they get real shaggy sometimes.

swope really does have the clubhouse feel mentioned in the pdga evalution: so many holes visible, so many placements. i love that dg magazine is made available there. i believe someone can enjoy the sport there even if they're not playing. a big tool in our growth has to come from the spectator side.

please accept my nomination and consider matt hays for swope cc.
putt, putt, give.

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 11:31:47 PM »
I'll run again for CC at Prairie Center, however I would be interested in a Lake Lenexa CC position if and when Lake Lenexa disc golf course opens (hopefully in the Spring).  I'd really like to see some more improvements at Prairie Center over the next few years as we get ready for the Worlds (longer tee boxes on a few more holes, more pin placements, new tee signs, more trees planted, etc.).  See you later... 

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 10:29:37 AM »
i know it's scary carrying cash in the park; but i'm 6'2'' 240(whatever) and i'd liketo see the club try to raise more money and awareness out of our clubhouse. reach kc's casual players with some regular hours of operation to talk frolf and let them get their hands on our clubs fundraising gear.
you stand no chance if you continue to call it "frolf".

It's Disc Golf[/b].   "Frisbee" (TM) is a registered trademark, and can't be legally used, so take that out of your vocabulary too.  "Frolf" (sounds like a hair-lipped monster from Monty Python) or "Folf" (oooohhh....Folf!  wheeeeeee!!) are trite.  The accepted, standardized name, is Disc Golf. 

Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 10:40:08 AM »
Geez..  lighten up Steve. It's whatever you want to call it as long as you get out and throw!!!  I have a tee shirt I got from Steady Ed himself that says "Frolf" on it. If it's okay with him it's okay with me. But, yes, you are right it is normally Disc Golf!   8)
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org