Author Topic: Listing of all disc golf installations in KC Metro  (Read 2150 times)

dananarama

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Listing of all disc golf installations in KC Metro
« on: November 16, 2007, 09:53:05 AM »
I wanted to discuss the total number of disc golf installations around the metro, to include all junior courses and courses with less than 18 holes.  What all is out there, apart from the big 9 courses listed under the Courses section of this forum, consisting of:

Blue Valley
Cliff Drive
Pleasant Hill
Prairie Center
Rosedale
Shawnee Mission
Swope
Water Works
WyCO

Other courses we have that are at least nine holes include:

Blue Valley Executive Course
California Trail
Rosedale Down Under
Yates Elementary

This brings our KC Metro total to 13, I believe. 

Someone the other day told me that there are baskets up on the Sprint campus.  Who knows about that?  Is it just a couple practice baskets?  Are there other miscellaneous permanent disc golf installations out there?  I think it would be nice to maintain a list of this kind of thing if this isn't the only one.  Your yards don't count, people; I'm not including the basket from my avatar in the list, or DG Thuggy's basement, either.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Listing of all disc golf installations in KC Metro
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 10:12:07 AM »
there are no more baskets at the sprint campus.

they were removed last fall so groundskeepers wouldn't damage them, but they were never put back in.  there were originally 5 out there, but three got stolen and it looks as if they're never going to put any of them back out.

kohjahk

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 10:16:35 AM »
Why isn't Rosedale down under listed as a full 18 and a major course?  It is fully developed.  Also I think there is a course near Saint Joe somewhere on a college campus.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 12:41:27 PM »
Yes, there's a course in Maryslville I think. I haven't played it though.

There is also a nine-hole eighteen-tee course on the campus of the University of Saint Mary in Leavenworth. It's stilla work in process but is playable with a map or a guide.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 03:43:43 PM »
Why isn't Rosedale down under listed as a full 18 and a major course?  It is fully developed.  Also I think there is a course near Saint Joe somewhere on a college campus.

Down Under fully developed? Your kidding right? It's a course true, 18 baskets, sure, but fully developed, not in my book. But then maybe I have been spending too much time on ball golf courses.
Mike Penney

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 04:20:14 PM »
Yes, there's a course in Maryslville I think. I haven't played it though.

There is also a nine-hole eighteen-tee course on the campus of the University of Saint Mary in Leavenworth. It's stilla work in process but is playable with a map or a guide.

There is a course in Maryville, MO at Northwest Missouri State University.  It's a full 90 minute drive from here, though, about 40 minutes north of St. Joe.  Almost as long as it takes me to get to Olathe. :)  j/k

Marysville, KS does not have a course that I am aware of.

Chap
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 04:22:42 PM by chappyfade »
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 07:55:24 PM »
How far is Achison, KS from KC?

They just installed both a 9 hole and 18 hole course in the same park.  I hear the courses are pretty darn good too.

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 11:17:51 PM »
How far is Achison, KS from KC?

They just installed both a 9 hole and 18 hole course in the same park.  I hear the courses are pretty darn good too.
'

Atchison is about 1 hour away from downtown KC.  I've played the 18 hole course in Jackson Park there....it reminds of a slightly shorter Water Works.  Nice hills....maybe not quite as hilly as Water Works.  Beautiful Park.  I had no idea there was another 9 holes there, though....I played it about 5 weeks ago.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 07:35:48 AM »
I saw some baskets on the grounds of a school in Belton a few months ago.  I can't remember the name of the school, I think it may have been a middle school.  There was some teenagers playing the course when I drove by.  It would be really cool if more and more schools put a course on school grounds and used disc golf in some gym classes.

The Can tankerous A.N.G

• Pro Poster
  • Don't look now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 03:25:27 PM »
I would definitely consider Down Under a full course. It's pretty unique and wooded, but as a lot of people mention, it does not seem fully developed. The reason I consider it a full course is because it is played a lot by many, and there are obvious fairways and baskets. It's just a little rough around the edges, you could say, and as everyone has mentioned, here in a short period of time, it may get a bit of a facelift for worlds. :)

kohjahk

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 04:20:06 PM »
Down Under fully developed? Your kidding right? It's a course true, 18 baskets, sure, but fully developed, not in my book. But then maybe I have been spending too much time on ball golf courses.

The course is and has been fully developed for YEARS.  You're probably just comparing it to the other courses based on concrete t-pads, benches, signs and trash cans.  Unfortunately if you travel around the USA and play disc golf you will find that courses generally are more along the lines of the down under than anything else.  We have it easy in Kansas City.

Plus I would be willing to bet that in the winter alone more 18 Hole rounds are played on the Down Under than say at Blue Valley in an entire year.  Add in the traffic for an entire year and I bet it holds it's own with any of the other major courses.   The course also hosts one of the biggest and most attended leagues in the greater metro.

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 05:14:47 PM »
to say DU isn't fully developed is simply wrong.  What more do you want?  Concrete pads?  Nuh-uh, it's a woods course. 2 pads on many holes, at least 2 placements on every hole, bridges,  stairs, trash cans...the only thing would be to more specifically set the perimeters, esp the front line, of some pads.  But, overall, it's about as developed as it should be.

Ted's Dread is still in, although accessibility is a bit questionable.  I think Ted is willing for play, though.  I'll call him and see, and give details later.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 05:31:35 PM »
 I would say Down Under is established, but not fully developed. There is tons that could be done to that course to make it spectaclar, for example SIGNS, LEVEL tee pads without the ankle breakers in front and around them, ect ect........if you don't see that, then I don't know what to tell ya.
Mike Penney

jewett

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 07:02:34 PM »
I think that we have all seen what too much plastic surgery will do... especially in terms of a face lift. So when DU gets its face lift, hopefully those yielding the chainsaws and brush trimmers will do the right thing and preserve the integrity of a course that is very unique in its character.

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 07:38:48 PM »
The only course I plan to take a chainsaw to is Cliff Drive..............
Mike Penney