Author Topic: GLOW Troubles  (Read 2998 times)

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
GLOW Troubles
« on: November 16, 2007, 04:16:26 PM »
I thought about heading out to SMP to Glow tonight but the website says that after Oct. 31 the park closes at 8:00.  Is there anyway we can get the city to extend park hours till like 9 or 10???????

Or was the site I read wrong and the hours are different?
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

firerec

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: GLOW Troubles
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 02:02:08 PM »
I believe that the hours at Oct to Mar till 8am then in Mar it is open till 11. I know that when I was in boy scouts they would let us stay in there later. I am sure that if we had some type of tourn. that they my make an adjustment.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 02:36:19 PM »
We got started about 5:00 and we're finished by 7:30, so not a big deal this time.

Hard finding flags in the dark though!!
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 08:58:30 PM »
I thought about heading out to SMP to Glow tonight but the website says that after Oct. 31 the park closes at 8:00.  Is there anyway we can get the city to extend park hours till like 9 or 10???????

Or was the site I read wrong and the hours are different?

First of all, it's a Johnson County park, even though the park would technically be inside the city limits of Lenexa.  Anyway, Johnson County has authority there, not the city of Lenexa.

Secondly, they seem to be pretty serious about the rules out there with no alcohol, etc.... I'm guessing they are equally fervent about enforcing the hours the park is open.  So I'm guessing there's not going to be many legal glow rounds out there.  And I'm not suggesting anyone go and play illegally after park hours...I'm saying go somewhere else and avoid the ticket/fine/trespassing charges.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
If they are open until 8pm, it sounds like there is plenty of time for a glow round.

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 10:03:59 AM »
If they are open until 8pm, it sounds like there is plenty of time for a glow round.

The park closes at 8PM, and it sounds like they lock the gates at 8PM.  If they're like Jackson County parks, they have rangers roam the park and hustle people out of the park.  We looked up the fine schedule.  $25 fine for the first offense of being in the park after hours, $50 for the second offense, and $100 for all subsequent offenses. 

Moral of story:

There's plenty of places to play glow in this town.  SMP shall NOT be one of them. If people insist on doing it, and lots of people get ticketed for it, that's a good way to get the course pulled. I'm dead serious. Don't play glow at SMP.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 11:04:19 AM »
I doubt I will , but, if I ever want to play a little night disc golf in SMP, and I can be driving out of the gate at 7:45, I probably will. I do not plan on ever getting fined for being in the park after hours or consuming alcho beverages. I have been paying quite substantial property taxes in Johnson County for over 20 years, so, I feel if I wanna use the park following published rules, I can.

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 11:25:59 AM »
I doubt I will , but, if I ever want to play a little night disc golf in SMP, and I can be driving out of the gate at 7:45, I probably will. I do not plan on ever getting fined for being in the park after hours or consuming alcho beverages. I have been paying quite substantial property taxes in Johnson County for over 20 years, so, I feel if I wanna use the park following published rules, I can.

Hey, if you can be out of the park before it closes, more power to ya.  It has been my experience that glow LEAGUES typically last past 8PM.  Basically, I'm trying to discourage a glow league out there at SMP, when there's at least 4 other glow leagues in town now (PC on Monday, Rosedale on Monday, P-Hill whenever, WW on Thurs.)  We need to tread lightly at SMP and gain their trust (if possible) before we start asking for favors. Lots of people breaking park rules (even if they are Johnson County taxpayers) WILL get this course pulled, and I can't even start to stress that enough.

Chap

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 07:50:23 AM »
This course and park are delicate beings this is a new course. We need not CREATE problems with this course or the sport. PLEASE REFRAIN from being in  the park after 7:30pm. This is not our park. It is a public park and rules are in  place for particular reasons. Do not try and push any issues about playing glow there. Not only will you be punished but all other disc golfers will be punished by your actions.
Steven Disc Glover

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 03:07:01 PM »
When entering into an agreement with Johnson County Parks and Recreation, the KCFDC agreed to abide by the rules and regulations that govern the Park. I expect that the directors of Club events and leagues at the Park will be educating participants about these rules and discouraging any illegal behavior during these events. That being said, the Club, outside of communicating these rules in newsletters, course boards, and on our web site, cannot ensure what individuals choose to do. From what's been written here, it sounds like the Park Rangers are pretty adept at enforcing the rules, and thus, I don't think a few people getting busted here and there would result in the course's removal.

For more about the Johnson County P & R regulations, go to
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:lfhAXTTD3G4J:www.jcprd.com/park_admin/pdf/jcprd_park_police_code-regulations.pdf+shawnee+mission+parks+regulations+and+fines&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Here you will find a set fine schedule for:

2.1.3 Dogs off leash: first offense $50; 2nd $75; 3rd $100.
2.1.6 Alcohol possession: $50; $75; $100.
2.1.13 Curfew violation: $25; $50; $100.

So, if you have a hankering to let Fido run wild on the disc golf course during a late-night round while drinking a beer, it might well be a $125 fine (and they'll probably empty your beer)!

I fully expect this course to be discovered by lots of new players, including families with younger children. With the success of John Theiss' junior tournament and the opening of this alcohol-free course, I think there are immense opportunities to promote the healthful benefits of disc golf in addition to its competitive and social benefits. I can foresee one or two smoke- and alcohol-free tournaments being added to the calendar next year.
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

joebquint

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 05:28:21 PM »
There are several late night times that the park has for overnight fishing.  I wouldn't see that it would be an issue to coordinate the times.  Can someone find out when these times are?

mime

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 06:05:23 AM »
There are several late night times that the park has for overnight fishing.  I wouldn't see that it would be an issue to coordinate the times.  Can someone find out when these times are?

I know from personnel experiance that they mean fishing.  Nothing else is allowed.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 09:23:09 AM »

I know from personnel experiance that they mean fishing.  Nothing else is allowed.

That doesn't mean that it would hurt to ask.  I bet if we coordinated with the SMP officials, we could get a glow league going if enough interest was there.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 12:35:39 PM »
Glow league....can we start with a regular league before you guys ask for items that are not allowed, and have a stronger history to stand on with the park.

Please do not ask at this time.  Lets build up some trust and respect from our players about our ettiquette with the park before we go ask for special treatment.

Its like getting a new job, starting and then asking for a week off your third week on the job......NOT GOOD.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 12:52:01 PM »
Its like getting a new job, starting and then asking for a week off your third week on the job......NOT GOOD.

...UNLESS it's for the World Championships!
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."