Author Topic: Ice Bowl - 2008  (Read 9049 times)

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
Ice Bowl - 2008
« on: December 05, 2007, 09:56:43 PM »
Hey club guys........any idea when the Ice Bowl will be?
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Re: Ice Bowl - 2008
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 11:11:33 PM »
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 12:43:26 PM »

The 21st Kansas City Ice Bowl is, indeed, January 27 at Rosedale.  I'll try to have registration forms and pledge sheets available next week. We are open to the idea of supporting more than one charity this year. Also, there will be a limited number of Ice Bowl hot-stamped Champion Destroyers available for fundraising purposes only. They'll be in the 30 buck range.

Who's bringing chili this year?

More later.

Hey club guys........any idea when the Ice Bowl will be?

Yep, gotta pretty good idea:

http://www.icebowlhq.com/index.php?option=com_eventlist&Itemid=62&func=details&did=220
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

SGC

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 09:34:05 PM »
In light of the LS doubles not being held (as of this date) this year, I suggest that the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation be the recipient of a donation as a result of the ICE Bowl.   

David E

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 12:28:59 PM »
Sweet - it's on my birthday!!!!!

Also, I would appreciate if you considered www.flhw.org
We raise money for Prostate Cancer Research and Awareness!
www.flhw.org

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 10:08:56 PM »
I suggest raising funds for Parkinsons Disease. Michael J. Fox Foundation???
Steven Disc Glover

kohjahk

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 10:31:27 AM »
You guys we don't raise enough dough to do such a spread of charities.  Pretty much you have to stick with one charity to make an impact with the funds generated.  Also the amount probably veries with the weather.  Usually they sponsor the Bishop Food Center or some such place.

David E

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 01:59:47 PM »
You guys we don't raise enough dough to do such a spread of charities.  Pretty much you have to stick with one charity to make an impact with the funds generated.

See Rick's comment above, he was suggesting that multiple charities were going to be considered this year.
www.flhw.org

SGC

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 09:36:44 PM »
The impact of one dollar could make the difference between a Cure Found or not.  Spread the funds and watch the magic!! :D

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 11:53:06 AM »
Rick,
I would like to see this build like in other cities.Check out the donations raised in the other towns compared to us and they had less people playing. We need to get out and get more corporate donations or ways for money and food can be raised citywide. We could get the TV station that mentions our event on their newscast to mention the charites that are benefitting and ask for donations to be sent to KCFDC Icebowl.
Have we gotten the tax write-off status yet Jack or Rick and if not how far along are we on getting it or whoever knows about that status?

I recently met a corporate guy from Battle Creek, Mich., Kelloggs main office location, that was originally a nuclear engineer, that had been involved in working with city government in getting a course installed locally in a park he knew of in his town that would benefit from its existence.  Anyway, I think I can get this guy to hook us up with corporate donations. I already told him about our Ice Bowls and how many people show up and he said he would be in town that weekend and would possibly come by. I should be seeing him beforehand so I will give him more details, this website address plus the Icebowl web address.
The only problem is he may end up being more interested in raising money for the closest Icebowl event in his town but we may be able to persuade him to get us some sort of merchandise or something if we cannot get major donation money.

Have we got stuff posted at the parks advertising the Icebowl??

LETS GET THE WORD OUT ON THIS GUYS!!
I wanna see us get close to 300 people this year.
If we can really put all out efforts together like we did for Worlds Biggest, the year we won the baskets, I think we can top 300.
Steven Disc Glover

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 09:25:48 AM »
The key is donations.

Glover,

Set the tone, make it possible to do this like a walk-a-thon, and get sponsors, lets see who can rais ehte most money.

As for the tax status, we are still working on that, I am working with an attorney on that and am hopefule to have by next year.

It takes many people to make it work, and we have been good, but the cities that you mention typically get a matching sponsor for their efforts, we have not, so be sure that you understand how these places make their charitable contributions,  and then try to mirror them.

Every year I drive to each of the TV stations and give them a heads up usually about the first of the year, and then follow it up the week before the event.  Rick does a great job of the press release, and then I give it to them directly so that it does not get lost in the cyberworld.

It takes an army to run and help, so we shall count you in on sponsorhip ideas Steve, Thanks for volunteering.

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
Some other cities use smaller winter tournaments to build up the donations as well.  Like having a Winter tournament series or something playing on Saturday's at different courses around the city.  Everyone would pay a entry fee like normal except all of the winnings or a portion of them goes into a giant fund that keeps getting rolled over for the Ice Bowl.

Now I understand it might be too late to do something like that this year but it's an idea we could use for next year.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 03:41:45 PM by DJayhawk »
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 01:20:08 PM »
Please go here— http://icebowlhq.com/docs/kcice08registration.pdf —to download a registration form for the 21st Annual KC Ice Bowl on January 27. As the Ice Bowl is KC's largest annual event, we're not changing it up much—play with your own group the first round (when you can use all the mulligans you care to buy) and then a break for the chili feed (please bring chili) and the CTP contest. (Please bring prizes to donate or hit your favorite restaurant or store up for a gift certificate. Best prizes so far are a DISCatcher Traveler (retails for $125)  and a $50 DGW gift certificate.) There will be a second nine holes for those who want to have a chance at winning a disc and of course, to get their name engraved on the Ice Bowl perpetual trophy. No mulligans allowed during the second round.

We've added a new charity this year. Besides the Bishop Sullivan Center (http://bishopsullivan.org), which has been our only charity for several years, we welcome club member Dave Emerson's FLHW Foundation (http://www.flhw.org/). After discovering that he had a very bad case of prostate cancer, he formed FLHW to help find a cure. Our goal this year is to raise $3300, with FLHW getting 1/3 of the total.

A word about which charities are most appropriate for our Ice Bowl is that we really want to choose causes that are local, which allows us to better integrate ourselves within the community at large. This can have benefits beyond just doing good things. For example, we had the Bishop Sullivan Center on our side when we went ofter PIAC money, which led to both Cliff Drive and Blue Valley.

Although I don't view our Ice Bowl as a competition with the other Ice Bowls who are raising more money than we, I am entirely open to the idea of raising more money. Steve Glover, if you know of a person or company who might be willing to match our donations, please let me know whom to contact. I'll follow up on that right away. I know that St Cloud, which raised an incredible $21K last year, got a nice matching grant, but they work on Ice Bowl all year long as well. As others have mentioned, some Ice Bowls run fund-raising events prior to Ice Bowl to buoy their total. Other Ice Bowls work the business community and generous disc golfer for cash donations. I'll be glad to work with anyone who wants to pursue more sponsorship, but we need to hit the streets soon.

While raising more dough is a laudable goal, I'm remain quite proud of the KC disc golf community for what we've done with Ice Bowl. We have a whole bunch of fun as we play some golf, eat and party, and don't whine. Also, we've managed to get some very nice publicity for the event and our sport as well. Let's do it again! Oh yeah, if it remains icy, we will not go Downunder for the second round. (This might been sixsomes, but no more broken bones!)

As always, the success of this event has to do with lots of people pitching in. Right now we need things such as a generator, more tables, more chili and other dishes (beer?), donations (cash or prizes), judges for the chili contest, a prize for the chili contest, and so on. If you want to donate some time in the running of the event, please give me a call at 816.471.3742. Looking forward to catching up with everyone on January 27. My prediction for the weather is no snow and 48° as a high. (Anyone want to run a weather prediction pool—half going to the winner and the other half to charity?)

Rick
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 12:24:56 PM »
Im bringing chili and a coleman stove.  The corporate dude is due in around the middle of January so I will direct him to you Rick. I know you have all the necessary info. As soon as there is a sponsorship form available to print please post that info and I will post something at work.
Steven Disc Glover

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 11:01:12 AM »
ALright
Whose bringing Chili?  Last year we ran out, we need more this year folks, and we would like to have someone bring something besides warm chili, like fresh vege's...since Rick thinks that it is going to be 48, weather should be perfect, and the veges will remain at a great temperature.

I plan on bringing my chili out there again, and hopefully will win the award again as best Disc Golf Chili expert, because, well I'm that good, and I of course did not write down any recipe from last year, so this years chili will not be a repeat of last, but rather a new chili that will be even better.....

What else can you bring to help?

Prizes for Ctp's...
Tables to put prizes and food on
Generator
A corporate check for $20,000 or a personal check for $20 is fine, heck even cash of $2 is good....
Buy Mulligans
Bring  a Friend
Bring a mistress
Call the TV stations and ask about the Ice Bowl, when is it, and how do I sign up, and what time will you be covering the finals?

Other ideas?
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"