Author Topic: Ice Bowl - 2008  (Read 9212 times)

going-long

Re: Ice Bowl - 2008
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 02:54:39 PM »
THEISS FOR ROSIE COURSE DIRECTOR..........

Fish

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 02:56:22 PM »
Would anyone eat my deer chili?  It's quite tasty, but some people are put off by the fact that it's deer meat. 

If there would be interest, I'll bring some.....
Nate Fishback

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 03:11:45 PM »
Heck ya....deer is about all I cook with anymore, less fatty than beef!!

Don't tell anyone it's deer and they will never be able to tell the difference!!!
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »
Would mulch around some of the baskets help?

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 04:32:19 PM »
THEISS FOR ROSIE COURSE DIRECTOR..........
Thank you for thinking of me Narin, but i must graciously withdraw my name becuase i am the course coordinator at Yates. I do want to hog them all and i was taught to share. 

I nominate NARIN CLOUSE for P HILL course coordinator. 

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 06:29:17 PM »
Ya, maybe you are missing the point i am trying to make.  It is going to be in the 50's on Sunday, the ground currently has snow on it, and there are going to be 200+ people tearing through the course.  I understand how to grow grass, i have been dealing with that at Yates. 

I guess I am thinking about course prevention and that should probably be a course coordinator thing i believe. 

I understand quite well, and trust me your enthusiasm is highly admired. The thing is, if any turf is ever going make a come back on the courses that recieve frequent usage, Rosadale, Water Works,Swope,  we're going have have to stop masking the problem with mulch and put some, err.... lots of seed/sod? down. Perhaps the club could get one of the many parks it works with to donate to the club some seed...Possibly match us funds for sod? It would be nice for the world to SEE world class courses when they are here in "09. That hill on hole 5's fairway, if you want to call it that, is in dire need of attention. I think that's a water mangement issue. Which requires drainage. But a mud pit nonetheless. I could go on and on about these things. Instead I opt to donate time for a later date.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 07:33:52 PM by A-Lefty »
Mike Penney

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2008, 07:12:06 PM »
This old course has withstood alot worse than what will happen this Sunday because of the coordinated efforts of some of the club and non-club members to do whatever was necessary to keep it in as good of condition as possible.

Hell, we had a 35 mile an hour rain we had a tournament in out there for the ROC way back when!!

Steven Disc Glover

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2008, 11:22:17 AM »
I was curious if it would be worthwhile to shovel the Rosedale tees tomorrow.  I'd be happy to volunteer to do such a thing, but I have no snow shovel.  With a 50 degree day, I would expect most of it to melt, but just in case it doesn't, it may help to get out there.

kohjahk

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2008, 04:17:26 PM »
Closing Rosedale is a pipe dream.  You would literally have to pull all the baskets to stop traffic out there.  That course is more heavily played than any other.  Plus, with the sheer amount of foot traffic experienced on that course anything measure you took would have a short life span.

I can't see how we would be embarrassing ourselves in the least.  That seems like a silly idea.

dclabe

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2008, 04:52:33 PM »
Swope was shut down for a couple of Springs to try grow grass....with minimal success.  I think that is a poor option....the best results at Swope were when it was heavily seeded in early March and the course was not shut down.  In Rosedale's case (for that matter all KC Courses) you could put seed down after the Ice Bowl....it won't germinate until the temps are in the mid 50's and any snow or rain will work it into the soil.  Then when its warm it will take off when the rest of the grass starts growing again.  Annual seeding and rotating pin placements are the best option to maintaining courses.

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2008, 05:17:26 PM »
Word is going around 3:30pm on Saturday there will be workers getting the course into good shape for the Ice Bowl.  If you have a shovel, rake, two arms anything to help spread the mulch we'd all appreciate your help.

Now I know this is very last minute like under 24 hours last minute, but if you're not doing anything tomorrow and want to pitch in it would be great.  Plus Chris maybe by 3:30 the tees won't need shoveling because it may melt  ;).

Thanks,

Dennis
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2008, 05:55:35 PM »
We use a machine with nobby tires during the final grading of putting greens. The indentions serve as little pockets so the seed doesn't wash away with heavy water.
Mike Penney

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2008, 08:26:52 AM »
I should be there.  Thanks Dennis.  Scraping teepads sucks anyways :).

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2008, 09:19:02 AM »
My prediction for the weather is no snow and 48° as a high. (Anyone want to run a weather prediction pool—half going to the winner and the other half to charity?)

Rick

Rick,

Back in December when you wrote this I thought you were nuts. Now I admire your wisdom and conviction. Vote Rick Rothstein for President!!  8)

Dan
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 09:20:37 AM by Lefty2 »
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »
ANOTHER GREAT TURNOUT K.C. Thanks for a great time Rick and everybody.
Steven Disc Glover