Author Topic: 01-07-08 GLOW  (Read 1153 times)

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
01-07-08 GLOW
« on: January 08, 2008, 08:24:42 AM »
 11 out taking advantage of some great winter weather. Along with the warm air and slight breeze, we were treated to a nice lightning show.

Last night made it two KC winter leagues in three days that the Cali (paying and throwing twice) smoked the field. 
 Observation: When a good player gets Cali and has himself as a partner it's tough to beat em.

Bryan Guthrie & Cali Bryan  44 for $38
Heberto Villareal & Jarad Garren  46 for $22
Tom Butler & Jud Gruber  51
Dick Parker & Cooper Arnold  51
Deano & Andy Lewis 53 (recipients of the most fun had award)
Ben Taylor & Bob Hayett  54

We drew a couple minutes early last night, and with a last minute arrival, trying to be fair, we re-drew. From now on we will draw at 6:00 sharp, and no one gets in after we draw.

No ACE hit so the fund grows to $462. Remember, this is 100% payout.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 01-07-08 GLOW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 07:46:18 PM »
Sounds like you do full Cali.  First I've heard of a pro getting full Cali.  It's usually just one extra shot per hole.  If they are paying twice though... that would be a good investment.

ACDGC has been playing an interesting version of doubles.  Since the pros and ams aren't usually equal in number, we flip for random teams.  Odd man is cali.  Pro-am teams start even.  Pro-pro teams add three strokes to their score.  Am-am teams subtract three.  The cali just gets one extra shot.  If the cali is an am, they get three strokes as well.  If the cali is a high handicap am, they get the 3 strokes and full cali.  This version has yielded some pretty competitive and fair results.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 09:51:51 AM »
I agree that no Pro player should ever get to pay double....it's just like paying them for lessons then.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 10:10:34 AM »
How do we determine who is a "pro" and who isn't?
I feel, for simplicity, in random draw dubs all are equal.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 08:45:05 PM »
Do you have any scoring averages from last year?

I'm not trying to make any suggestions of what you should do with league; just commenting on that it's no small wonder a pro cali with full cali is winning every time.

A lot of leagues run great with random dubs.  The ams wouldn't go for that in other places.  Perhaps a majority of the players that play league in KC are close to around the same skill level.

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 10:06:19 PM »
What is the difference between full Cali and something else?
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 10:18:40 PM »
After thinking about it, a pro might need full cali to compete against double pro teams.

Full cali is where the cali gets 2 throws for every shot.  The cali I am used to playing is where you get one extra shot per hole and you get to choose which shot you want to use it on.  A tougher way to play cali is to make the "mulligan" shots a must play shot.  If regular cali is called liberal, this would be conservative.  It makes the player think twice about using an extra shot.  This would probably not be suitable against doubles teams, but it would make a fun singles format.

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 07:07:04 PM »
I like the rules fine the way they are.  Instead of complaining about something not being fair, why not practice more and get better?  That's what a league is for, to compete and get better (I wish I had more time to practice.)  Anyway it was fun watching Bryan play well that night.  If we had putted better we might have won some money.  Anyway Tom's running a great glow doubles league on Monday.  I especially liked playing #17 to the 18 practice basket.  We need to do more holes like that.  I've got a bunch of ideas for similar holes.  Later...

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 04:12:53 AM »
I guess I kinda failed to recognize that it is a GLOW LEAGUE.  Emphasis should be on fun and keeping it simple.  Sounds like it is just that.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 04:17:10 AM »
By the way, we tried "conservative" California yesterday at league.  Everyone played california by divisions.  On an easier course, this is a really fun format.  You don't throw so many extra drives and the putting pretty much plays opposite of regular cali.  On the first shot, you go for it and on the second you play safe.