Author Topic: First Beginner post  (Read 8918 times)

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
First Beginner post
« on: March 01, 2005, 11:24:40 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm glad I found this website, and club as I begin my journey into Disc Golf hobby.  I have a few questions maybe someone can help me out.

Where do you get the score cards?  Or is this just something most people write down on a notepad or something?

When do most players end up purchasing a bag?  I bought a Innova 3 disc starter package, and currently plan to just carry them around, since I dont really want to spend an extra $20 for a bag.  Any ideas for good makeshift disc bags?

Finally where is the best place to get equipment locally?

I'm sure more questions will come up but that's all I got now.

TIA
-Dennis :)
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

dclabe

First Beginner post
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 12:12:50 PM »
Disc Golf World in downtown KCMO, Dick Parker's Choi Disc at Mission road and SW Blvd, Red X in Riverside are a few places.  also the course coordinators have disc for sale at leagues.  MOKAN also have disc when one of their members are at the courses (glow league Thursday Night 6pm at Waterworks, Down Under Leage on Saturday 12:30pm at Rosedale).

Dan

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
First Beginner post
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 01:21:59 PM »
Welcome to the world of Disc Golf!!!!

Disc Golf a hobby????? You will soon find it a way of life........ :lol:
Scorecards.....well those were provided once upon a time at Water Works Park, I'm not really sure what happened. We tried to provide them at Rosedale but do to vandels gave up. :cry:  So if you want to keep score just a piece of paper will do.

A bag, well if you ask Pete he'll tell ya 3 disc's in hand are better then 20 in a bag. I can't say I disagree with him either. Dan hit the nail fairly well though. Although it's Koi Disc's, Dick can be reached @ 816-510-7051. Disc Golf World 816-472-Disc, I'm sure those guys will be more then happy to help you out. Another place is Oklahoma Joe's on the corner of Mission RD & 47th street. I have seen just plain old duffle bags used. So don't think having a bag is a big deal, but they are nice.

Be aware that the league's that Dan mentioned will change with the time changes. There will be a New Players League, it is still be discussed as far where and what time, but traditionally it's at Rosedale on monday night and it's FREE to play. Last year there was a great group of guys to play with. As I am sure there will be this year. :lol:

I got a couple of questions for you Dennis. Are you a Club member yet :?:
How did you "DISCover" the club website :?:

Well I hope I answered your questions. Feel free to ask more. I 'm sure one of us long winded golfers will do our best to answer them.

Have fun, that's the Golden Rule in Disc Golf!
Mike Penney

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
First Beginner post
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 01:48:21 PM »
Hey thanks for getting back to me both of you.  I will have to check out the mentioned shops.

That's too bad about the vandals, do they have to ruin everything?  At any rate I'm sure it would be fairly easy to generate some type of generic scorecard w/ todays technoology :) I was just wondering if they actually had one already done and for sale.

As far as the bag goes I need to go check out one of the local shops to get me a starter bag.  I'd buy one online but I'd rather feel the materials, and pay sales tax instead of shipping.

I found this site after I found the PDGA and did a search for courses close to me, and there was link to KCFDC.  I am not a member of KCFDC but I have read the registration app, and am considering joining.

So how do these leagues that you mentioned run?  I think the beginner league is exactly what I need to get the feel of the game.

How long does it typically take to play a 18 hole round?  My work is close to Water Works, and I've thought about taking a lunch trip over there.

Thanks again!
-Dennis

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
First Beginner post
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 12:46:11 AM »
Kids will be kids. Hopefully they grow out of their destructive ways......

Out of curiosity, what disc's came with the starter pack you bought?

As score cards go.....you are right...this would be a great place to get a downloadable score card.........as far as bags go I have found in my past experience that one with a bottle holder ( for obvious reasons) and a zipper ( good for not loosing keys and money  :wink: ) are good to have...

League's......hmmm well they are generally ran like a tournament, but much more laid back and generally a tad more fun. New players league is an excellent place to start. Stay tuned hear for more info on that. Water Works is a tough course ,but a great place to take lunch. I believe it is the rated second in the PDGA. There is a league ran there on Thursday nights that is always a blast.

Becoming a club member besides the camaraderie has some great advantages. First of all you get to vote on the executive committee. There is a club championship and picnic weekend at the end of the season that your dues pay for. You play leagues at a discounted rate, and club plastic is cheaper.

I hope to meet you on the course this season......remember have fun.... :lol:
Mike Penney

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
First Beginner post
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 09:57:59 AM »
The disc's I got are made by Innova:

Aviar Putt & Approach
Leopard Fairway Driver
Shark multi-purpose

I'm pretty sure they are all 150 class.

So how are these?

I'll keep my eyes out for the beginner league.

Nice site born2shimmer that is exactly what I was looking for!

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
First Beginner post
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 10:30:29 PM »
Quote from: "DJayhawk"
Innova:

Aviar Putt & Approach
Leopard Fairway Driver
Shark multi-purpose

I'm pretty sure they are all 150 class.

Well how are these?  Good learning disc's?

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
First Beginner post
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 09:36:24 AM »
All three are excellent discs for beginners thru pro. In fact, most of the top players use an Aviar as a putter. Pay attention to what works well for people and keep and open mind when someone tries to sell you on a disc.
It's more important to learn to throw straight before trying the latest and greatest new disc. Good move wanting to get your hands on the plastic before you buy, you want something that feels good pulling it from your bag all the way to watching fly up and hit the chains.
If you like the three you have seek out some in the 160-170 range and see how you like them. Bear in mind that Waterworks is one of the most challenging courses in KC. At Rosedale the ground is a bit flatter, there will be more people out there with a variety of discs, and starting April 4,
the Monday New Players League will start. The lovely and talented Paul Eklund is the host, if you have any questions he can be reached at 913 621-2004.

m richard
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
First Beginner post
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 10:01:41 AM »
Opps, I lied to you.......the number to disc golf world is 471-disc......sorry
Mike Penney

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
First Beginner post
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 04:01:31 PM »
Quote from: "geauzinier"
Bear in mind that Waterworks is one of the most challenging courses in KC. At Rosedale the ground is a bit flatter, there will be more people out there with a variety of discs, and starting April 4,
the Monday New Players League will start. The lovely and talented Paul Eklund is the host, if you have any questions he can be reached at 913 621-2004.

m richard

Thanks for the tips, I played 9 holes at Waterworks today by myself, and I must say that is a challenge!  4 and 5 I thought for sure were going to eat one of my discs.  Good news is that gave me the bug!  I hope I can get out to Rosedale this weekend and at least get 9 holes in.

Is WyCo pretty open as far as the holes go?

Thanks again!
Dennis

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
First Beginner post
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 09:06:04 PM »
Yes WyCo is pretty much wide open on most holes. There are a lot of trees that come into play on most holes but they are mature trees that are spaced out pretty well. It's also the longest course in town right now. It will be dwarfed by Blue Valley when it is completed though. Come on out tomorrow and have a look at it.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
First Beginner post
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 06:20:32 PM »
Everyone is welcome at the new players league. Men, women and juniors.  There has also been a women's league on Thursday nights but I don't know the status of that this year yet.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

coolguy1978

Weekend Beginners
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 01:25:25 AM »
Hey all, I just bought my starter set (thanks to Disc Golf World) and a bag as my friend from St. Louis got me hooked.  Are there any weekend beginners leagues in the works?  I work nights and am still going to school so I would only be able to play weekends.  I've mailed in my registration for the club and would like to start playing regularly.  I have a hard time throwing straight as it will go about 150 yards out but then curve back 25 yards.  If anyone is willing to maybe have a clinic or teach a newbie some tricks, let me know.  :)

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
First Beginner post
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 01:10:12 PM »
man, if you've just started and you're already reaching 450 feet with a 75 foot curve you need to put on the clinics!  if by chance you meant feet rather than yards then the good news is you're still well ahead of the learning curve.
it all really comes down to snap and angle at the point of release. the rotation on the disc from more snap will cause the outside edge to come up as will a slightly different angle. the really cool thing about today's plastic is the infinite possibilities from combining those two factors.
first, get a stable disc, one that flies straight with only a bit of curve at the end of it's flight and maybe an understable disc, one that turns over naturally. a right handed back hand fades to the right instead of the left with an understable or "turnover" disc. throw each one 10,000 times and things will start to get much easier.
go to discraft.com and innovadisc.com and check out their descriptions and rating system for the typical flight pattern of each disc.
in general, the thinner the profile and beveled the edge, the more lift it is designed to get. that makes some of the long range drivers a little twitchy in the most experienced hands.
new player's league(s) don't need to be limited to one night or park. if the interest is there from new players the club should be able to come up with another night or two.
women's league has been on thursday's at rosedale, 5;30-6ish. one of the club's officers is tavish sanders, hopefully she'll be okay with me giving out her email address: tavsanders@yahoo.com.
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

coolguy1978

First Beginner post
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 01:50:55 PM »
oops...meant feet :)  If the interest is there, lets have a league on Sat or Sun