Author Topic: Legacy Park Course in Lee's Summit  (Read 21236 times)

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
Re: Legacy Park Course in Lee's Summit
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2008, 04:15:04 PM »
AWESOME! Be sure to post when the first basket is locked in place!

~CD~
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

dananarama

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2008, 09:30:49 AM »

For anyone interested, I happened to discuss this project with a member of the Parks Board this morning, as we work together.  He mentioned that work on getting the course in has been sidelined while the amphitheater is being finished, but that it appeared that work would resume soon after it was done.  He sounded positive.

Still quite giddy about the prospect of another great course in the metro.  Thanks to all responsible.

jefkix

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2008, 10:05:32 PM »
Go Lee's Summit!  I spoke with Parks and Rec about a course as far back as '90 or '91.  Rick Rothstein was involved, and though there was genuine interest, nothing came of it.  Finally, we have a course - well almost have a course I guess.

Jeff Yeagley

dananarama

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2008, 09:54:46 AM »

A coworker and Lee's Summit resident came to me this morning with news that some local publication indicated that Legacy Park would be included in the Worlds next year.  No ambiguity. 

I assume that this directive has come down straight from the KCFDC powers that be.  I just wanted to communicate that this seems to be perceived as a concrete commitment.  Is this news, Rick?  Chap?

Another tidbit:  In discussing the Legacy course, it came up that Lee's Summit very strictly enforces a no-alcohol policy in their parks.  I reassured my friend that this would not be culture shock for our community, as we have already learned to deal with a similar situation in Shawnee Mission Park.  Still, I wanted to make sure the word was out to the club.

Still very excited to play this one.  It will be nice to have one more option here in the metro.  I have been playing sooooo much lately; I really need some new scenery to keep me from getting bored.  *Insert jab from BP here.*

Thanks again to all who put work into this.

Detonata

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2008, 09:57:58 AM »
any news of baskets or even mowing the fairways?

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2008, 10:03:12 AM »
i got an e-mail from steve casey sometime last week.  he said that weather has slowed down the mowing of the fairway areas and the installs of benches and baskets.  BUT, he did tell me that they would like to start mowing out fairways this week or next week, and that the baskets and benches have been assembled and are ready for installation.

who knows if this will happen that soon?  guess we can just be patient.

as far as using the course for worlds, i know that it was addressed in meetings with the city.  i don't know if it came off as 100% concrete from the club's perspective, but if we're going to be running both Amateur and Professional Worlds, we will need all the courses that we can get.

also, concerning alcohol in the parks, both of the shelters at legacy park in the disc golf course area are eligible for alcohol permits from the city.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2008, 10:06:46 AM »
At this time there are no plans to use a course that is not in the ground for the Worlds.  I would prefer to use existing courses only for the Worlds.

That is not to say that it will not be used, but at this point there are no plans to use it, so this publication is incorrect in their comments.

As it stands right now these courses are a go:
Swope
Rosedale
Olathe
Waterworks
WyCo
Cliff Drive
Blue Valley

Those courses that are being considered:
Down Under
Shawnee Mission Park
Swope North
Penn Valley

Those that may become options:
Pleasant Hill
Gillham Park
Lees Summit

This list is subject to change.

Thanks for the heads up, I will send a note to Steve asking about this.

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2008, 10:43:33 AM »
At this time there are no plans to use a course that is not in the ground for the Worlds.  I would prefer to use existing courses only for the Worlds.

That is not to say that it will not be used, but at this point there are no plans to use it, so this publication is incorrect in their comments.

As it stands right now these courses are a go:
Swope
Rosedale
Olathe
Waterworks
WyCo
Cliff Drive
Blue Valley

Those courses that are being considered:
Down Under
Shawnee Mission Park
Swope North
Penn Valley

Those that may become options:
Pleasant Hill
Gillham Park
Lees Summit

This list is subject to change.

Thanks for the heads up, I will send a note to Steve asking about this.

Jack

We had indicated to Steve back last summer that we would likely use the Legacy course if it were in the ground in time, and alls indications were at the time that this wouldn't be a problem.  That still depends on a lot of things, like potential safety issues, logisitics, etc... A lot of that we won't know about until the course is in.  Word was it was supposed to be in the ground by June 30.  I have no idea if they are still on schedule.  I'd say Shawnee Mission Park is probably a go for Worlds as well.  Pleasant Hill would likely be used as a course for the young juniors and legends.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

Keizer

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2008, 10:56:47 AM »
Gillham Park? Swope North? Penn Valley?

Where are these mysterious courses you speak of?

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2008, 11:03:44 AM »
Currently in my head.
 ;D

Hopefully we will not need to use them, but we need to have options, and another could be Hidden Valley....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Irand M

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2008, 07:59:18 PM »
I'm a Lee's Summit resident and I'm stoked about having another course so close to home.  Is there any additional news about when Legacy will be open - is it on schedule (june 30th)?  I would also like to volunteer to help out with the new course.

Rand M

bbman

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2008, 02:41:08 PM »
Have the baskets been put in yet??????
Rosedale Down Under CC 2010

Irand M

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2008, 10:22:02 PM »
I drove around Legacy park on Saturday and did not see any signs of baskets. 

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2008, 10:54:04 PM »
the course isn't going to be in the ground anytime soon.  the fairway areas haven't even been mowed yet and that's going to take time.  i don't think some of that land has ever been mowed.

Irand M

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2008, 06:11:08 PM »
Would the parks department let us mow it?  Would that help speed things up?  I have access to a tractor and brush hog.