Author Topic: Legacy Park Course in Lee's Summit  (Read 22353 times)

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Park Course in Lee's Summit
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2008, 11:50:40 PM »
I doubt they're going to spend the money to mow it until they put the baskets in.  And as Brian said, this may be a ways off.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2008, 07:21:16 AM »
if you want to see some baskets so bad, just drive up around the maintenance building.  the baskets are assembled, just behind the large chain link fence.  maybe that will assure you that, yes, there are going to be baskets installed.

look, the problem is that the amphitheater in legacy park is more of a priority for the city right now.  am i a little disappointed that the course isn't in yet? sure.

and for christ's sake, yes, they're going to mow the fairway areas and around the baskets.  do you really think that Lee's Summit is just going to plunk 18 baskets down in the middle of waist high weeds and call it good?

it'll all be done right, it's just going to take time.  and it's not going to get done any faster by complaining more.

i've been in touch with steve casey in the last week or so.  their plan is to mow the fairway areas this week or next.  obviously, other things can push this back.   we just have to be patient.

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2008, 08:06:27 AM »
to be certain, lees summit is proud of their city parks.  they'll take good care of that land and it will be nice and groomed.  but as brian said it's never been mowed before.  it will take some time even after knocking it down.  that stuff is thick.

Irand M

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2008, 07:28:20 PM »
No complaints here - just offering to help.  Will the parks department consider outside help?

Keizer

« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2008, 08:01:40 PM »
Can't wait to play LP, but there's plenty of other courses to play in the mean time.

Just curious; Was anyone from the KCFDC active in the planning and is anyone from the KCFDC active in the contruction of this course? Or is this just something Lee's Summit P&R decided to do on its own? If there's a club member or more involved in this, perhaps some sort of workday might be organized to speed up the process a bit.

That'd be awesome to have an event where everyone shows up and helps install baskets on a new course before playing an inaugural round together. Talk about being actively involved! 8)

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2008, 10:13:08 AM »
I have offered to help a few times, and was met with little enthusiasm. 

I offered my disc golf design services for free, and was met with less enthusiasm.

They want to do it their way, it is their park, and it will be less work that we as members need to do.  That is great.  What concerns me is the layout of the "pads" already, and the design that they had, there are safety concerns that people that do not play the sport may come into play.

Once the course is in, I will be more than happy to help, but at this point, the best thing to do is to let them go on with their time table, they will get it opened up as soon as it makes sense for them to maintain it, and make it playable for the public.

They are very organized on what they want to do, so it will not be a situation that the park is ignored.  SM park is not ignored, it is just growing pains, and if you have been out to SM Park lately, you now understand that they are working on this as well, and that dialogue between the club and them has helped.

The same will hold true here at LS, patience.....boy we have added 5 public courses, and one private course to the area in the last 5 years, you would think that there is enough new places to play......

But if you really want to come mow.....Cliff Drive 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 can use it, lemme know, and I'll point you in the direction of what needs to be done!! ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Irand M

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2008, 04:25:25 PM »
I'm up for helping at Cliff drive - I've been meaning to get out that way to check out the course and play a round.  Give me a call (816)507-0214 - I do have an occasional evening or weekend day available.

Rand M

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2008, 05:44:43 PM »
I'll hit ya up on it.  Monday is league night, that is my last free night of the week as of now!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

garlichbread

« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2008, 10:13:28 PM »
If we had enough people contact the parks and rec would that help speed things up? It's painful seeing the baskets sitting there, concrete pads, even a course map and not being able to play :o

Irand M

« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2008, 05:14:35 PM »
I think contacting Parks and Rec is a great idea, and I have emailed them.  I also have a friend that works for the city and will try that avenue for information as well.  When I receive any information I will post it here.  In case anyone else would like to contact LS Parks and Rec, here is the info - Phone: (816) 969-1500, Email: lspr@lees-summit.mo.us. ;D

garlichbread

« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2008, 10:26:22 AM »
Thanks for the info. I will spread the word. Perhaps they will see how great the demand is for the course.

Irand M

« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2008, 11:10:28 AM »
Parks and Rec has replied to my email and the new target completion date is August 29th!!!!

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2008, 12:01:33 PM »
That sounds great!  August 29 of what year?

Irand M

« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »
I can understand the confusion, since the disc golf community has been discussing a course in Lee's Summit since sometime in the mid 90's. However, LS Parks and Rec did commit to August 29th, 2008.  I'm hopeful the course will be similar to a fine wine - well worth the wait.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2008, 02:28:45 PM »
i just hope that this is their actual completion date.

i've got several e-mails from them in the past with the new "completion dates"; all have come and gone. 

if you read the parks board meeting minutes, you'll see that their reasoning is that they don't have the available manpower to start the work on the course.  this will get done as resources roll off of different completed projects.