Author Topic: Legacy Park Course in Lee's Summit  (Read 21600 times)

kohjahk

Re: Legacy Park Course in Lee's Summit
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2008, 12:42:57 PM »
Hey Pee-J, I'll credit you with best cookies at the Friz!

That's a good decision because now I will not have to urinate in you lawn.  You know what a wanton law breaker I am.

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2008, 08:59:04 PM »
on my way to work today, out of the corner of my eye, i barely saw a flash of yellow. then as i approached colbern rd. i saw them. discatchers! not on the side of the parks building upside down; but upright pins just aching for me to miss high(tink). i was running late and couldn't stop, however, tomorrow 7am i will try and traverse the rough terrain and get my first round in at legacy park.

putt, putt, give.

Keizer

« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »
Well, I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning... 8)

bbman

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2008, 09:09:57 PM »
Is there any type of map or layout of the course yet? Im playing tomm night thru all the crap I dont care.
Rosedale Down Under CC 2010

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2008, 09:24:31 PM »
it looks like it's mowed from tee to pin, like an 8' fairway kind of. i'm hoping that directs me from hole to hole.
putt, putt, give.

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2008, 09:55:11 PM »
spray the off before you play.  i got the worst case of chiggers there and i even sprayed before trampling through the kneehigh grass

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2008, 10:05:37 PM »
it's true.  the baskets are in.

the grass is HIGH.  that sh1te ate two of my discs already.  fairways are definitely narrow.

the lucky lefty from lee's summit, lance dwyer, holds the current course record, though i'm not sure what it is.

Keizer

« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2008, 10:56:31 PM »
From what I've heard, those fairways aren't intended to be mowed more than 20' wide. The "rough" is basically overgrown prairie grass-- the kind that swallows discs like crazy. Think rock OB areas at Swope, but with much, much taller grass. The course will need some work before it shakes the "disc eater" label.

What I thought was kinda funny was the actual layout itself. One example that comes to mind is somewhere on the back 9 (exact hole # escapes me at the moment) is a 500' hole followed up by what couldn't have been more than a 100' hole. I can just see people getting to that short hole after the long one, seeing the pin, and saying "THAT'S it?!" :D

kohjahk

« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2008, 12:22:52 PM »
I have played a course with fairways like those being described, the narrow mowed fairways and overgrown roughs, more than once.  I thought it was great fun but there are many cons to this style of course.  It can get very frustrating, time consuming and expensive for the player who may be constantly replacing discs, (Rick should love this course :D ).  I think in the end a design of this nature will decrease foot traffic but also this is a new course.  I'm sure they will continue to modify and develop the design as time progresses!

I can't wait to play it!

mansizioux

• Am Poster
  • JV Golfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2008, 02:27:05 PM »
As of yesterday,the unofficial course record/cherry breaker is 57.  I didn't count lost discs (3) and I didn't give myself strokes(which I occasionally do, in private) for moving objects that were in front of my lie. If i would have been playing by our official rules I would have shot around 90.  The course is not quite ready for tournament play.  No. 14 should be played to 17 long, and of course 14's current basket should then be moved to 17 short. Another position for 17 should be added short left. 16 should have another position longer and to the left (by the taller tree). I think 13 and 15 are legit par 4's I'm not sure if 8 should be consider a par 4 or not, time will tell. I hope everyone realizes that I'm just typing out loud. No beer allowed on the course but at this point it is very easy to hide.  I'd like to see about 200 people come out and play all on one weekend, this might just tromp enough of what needs to be tromped to get an idea of what the parks department has in store for them. If you do come out to play wear long pants and solid footwear. Don't bring any disc you consider has any value what so ever. An accurate driver or buzz/roc and a putter would be quite sufficient. Oh yeah I think your suppose to contact Brian Palmer or Doug Kantro before you play.
You can"t always do what's right, but you can always do what's left.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2008, 02:32:04 PM »
i will second lance's suggestion:

Don't bring any disc you consider has any value what so ever.

mansizioux

• Am Poster
  • JV Golfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2008, 02:35:53 PM »
  If your from Gardner you might want to bring your mommy to hold your hand and help you find your destroyers.  I don't think Innova is making enough destroyers for you to play this course Andy.  I won't hold your hand but I would be honored if you would like a personal tour.
                                                                                                              Lance Dwyer
                                                                                                             (816)807-2619
You can"t always do what's right, but you can always do what's left.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2008, 02:45:18 PM »
lance must've gotten off work and into the High Lifes early today.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2008, 02:56:20 PM »
 If your from Gardner you might want to bring your mommy to hold your hand and help you find your destroyers.  I don't think Innova is making enough destroyers for you to play this course Andy.  I won't hold your hand but I would be honored if you would like a personal tour.
                                                                                                              Lance Dwyer
                                                                                                             (816)807-2619

He must be drunk....cuz if he was thinking straight he would realize that I only need one destroyer and one aviar to shot a 36.  New courses always bring new loud mouths....but once they get the smacketh laid upon them, they will go back to thier cave and draw stories on the wall about the great destroyer and his yeti sidekick.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2008, 04:44:18 PM »
I may be steping out of line here, but I was under the impression that they did NOT want people to play the course yet.  I was told that they want to work on the course, and do not consider it openn.  Now I could ust be the person lilstening to what the P&R say, but I would wait until they o et some of the work done before I plan on playing it.

My $.02 (is that de-valued given our current economic state, or is it just de-valued because I wrote it?)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"