Here's the Rules - I could not find 2008? Not sure they were different anyway:
The Kansas City Flying Disc Golf Club Tag System Rules 2007
1. Tags must be attached to bags in a visible location and carried at all times.
2. You MUST play with other tag holders on your card at any KCFDC event. Off-card challenges should be limited to one individual choice, you can accept or decline off-card challenges. Off-card challenges will be settled after on-card challenges.
3. You may not hide or withhold a tag when you have a lower number.
4. If you have to leave during a challenge round for any reason you will forfeit your tag and graciously accept the highest numbered tag in the group.
5. If you lose your tag you may be able to PURCHASE a new one depending upon availability, you must also notify a member of the EC if tag 1-10 is lost.
6. If you have a tag you must try to play in one club event each month.
No where does it mention how the tags are distributed? Perhaps the rules need to be amended?
However, if the distribution is really random, then it's random, not "those that play the most get the top 20 and the rest of you get to draw".
If there is concern about low tags getting lost in some Saturday morning group (no offense taken Dick) perhaps a rule about reporting what number you have on this BBS should be instituted? Before this recent string there were no posts about where certain tags were since May?
In the end, it's all for fun, a way to compete for something...it shouldn't be that hard.