Author Topic: Rosey's Wishlist  (Read 2641 times)

mikey141414

• Novice Poster
  • bag tag #121
    • View Profile
Rosey's Wishlist
« on: January 27, 2008, 09:30:51 PM »
So, I know there has been some talk of this on the course, but it might be nice to get it all down in writing and get people talking about it more. With the Wide Open and the World's coming up, it's time to get creative and make Rosey even better than she already is.
Here is my short list:

Bus stop style benches at the pads in the sun
-w/ dog tie offs, tee signs, shade, and bag hangers.

bathrooms on the back nine.

More railroad tie work on the paths that get washed out.

At least a once-a-month work day.

repair or replace the disc return box.

parking lot?

juniors course layout using existing holes and new ones

Stairs on 9 - 10

Paper course maps at 1 w/ score card on back. Like at Waterworks.

Painted sleeves to designate the pin placement.

That's all I can think up now, or remember others mention. I know some seem pretty lofty, but it doesn't hurt to think big, right?

Mikey
Crush
Beast
Roc
Buzzz
X-Putter

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Rosey's Wishlist
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 08:25:25 AM »
Several of those are must do's this spring especially repairing the stairs.  It was mentioned to me if we do replace the stairs with wood that we also apply some type of anti-slip treatment to the tops.

With painting of the sleeves I think we need to get more organized on pin placement configurations and developing some way for people to know how the course is set up whether that be at #1 or on a hole by hole  system.  I think with how some of the holes have more placement than others it may be easier to have some colored wood signs that we hang at each tee indicating colored location for the day.

I heard this weekend someone mention a way to permanently mark the 10 meter circle.  Any ideas if this is being done anywhere else in the country?

More workdays, with better communication.  Use the on course bulletin board.

More love for Rosie she been abused the last couple years.  ;D

-Dennis
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:32:08 AM »
Chuck Kenedy mentioned that he has marked OB lines by sinking bricks into the ground.  Dennis, is this what you were discussing doing for the 10m circle?

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 09:32:27 AM »
I didn't really have a plan for it but Steve mentioned it would be something he'd like to see.  I just can't see how we'd be able to do that for all the multiple pin placements we are blessed with at Rosie.  But if there is a will I'm sure there is a way.

Another thing I thought of after my first post was Recycling containers.  I am not sure if it is feasible or not but if the club took the responsibility of recycling can's that money can re-used to offset the cost of printing scorecards/maps etc.
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 05:54:02 PM »
Whatever happened to the fountain by the road by hole 13 tee pad idea from long ago or was that just something I thought to mention but never did???

Now that is lofty!!!
Steven Disc Glover

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 06:27:53 PM »
That would be pretty cool.

mikey141414

• Novice Poster
  • bag tag #121
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 06:41:38 PM »
Or, if the house on 17 could just get that mondo fountain of theirs going...That would be pretty sweet.
Crush
Beast
Roc
Buzzz
X-Putter

mikey141414

• Novice Poster
  • bag tag #121
    • View Profile
---Testing pictures in post---
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 01:33:27 PM »
Just testing to see if I can figure out how to put up images

Mikey
Crush
Beast
Roc
Buzzz
X-Putter

mikey141414

• Novice Poster
  • bag tag #121
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 01:34:40 PM »
Sweet!!! It worked. First time...

I want to be the new website guru. I CAN TAKE ON THE W_O_R_L_D!!!!!!

Just kidding ::)
Mikey
Crush
Beast
Roc
Buzzz
X-Putter

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 02:25:58 PM »
Id like to see grass.  Sounds kind of broad I know, but it is what it is.I mean its no mystery that the course is in a shambles compared to what it was a few years ago.

Playing on it during rain and sloppy conditions is just a bad idea if we want it to look nice. without the work of Theiss and Buckles crew dumping a few tons of mulch the day before the Ice Bowl it would have been an even greater destruction. Those guys did the course a huge favor, and it was great to see some proactive movement in the club. the big change needs to come from the EC and CCs though. A plan needs to be put into place and some budget spent to get this course back into shape, if we want Rosedale to present well.

some of the steps necessary are obvious, Several pole holes need to be moved from their short placements for an indefinete period, until grass takes hold. that means using longer locations or making new short hole placements (which is another issue). If we coul dget temporary fly 18 pads to replace teeing areas for hole 1, 4,5, 6, 10, 14, 15. rope off the areas - lots of yellow tape,  and try to get some grass seed to take hold over the next year and a half.

Its  a huge task and would require the concerted effort.  I am making an effort not to play there if it is wet or a crowded time. We are getting enough new courses to divert some traffic which should help but...

Maybe its inevitable that Rosie will continue to turn into a bigger mud pit.

MOSPARKY

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 08:26:07 PM »
I live a few blocks away from Rosedale.  It wouldn't bother me one bit if the baskets were yanked every once now and then.  Like say around March, April, and May.  Grass can be planted and other work can be done.  This may be drastic, but the Kansas parks department doesn't do too much for that park.  I could be wrong!!  Mowing the lawn and busting people for not parking head first.  If we have the parks departments cooperation, I sure haven't seen it for a long time.  If any member out there knows otherwise let me know. 

mikey141414

• Novice Poster
  • bag tag #121
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 08:42:58 PM »
How about a friendly sign that syas if the course conditions are really wet and muddy, please don't play here. And then offer a list of optional course to play at. You won't get everyone, but at least the conscious ones will go elsewhere.

Regardless, I think a sign mentioning the other courses and where they are would be good for not only Rosey, but other courses as well.

I would love to see more advertisement for the club on that bulletin board and all over the course for that matter.

Mikey
Crush
Beast
Roc
Buzzz
X-Putter

kchippie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 10:01:23 PM »
I like the sigh idea, that might help slow traffic there even on nice days.  Giving the course more time to heal. I'm a Rosey local and will travel to get rid of some of the mud.  Also if you are needing any help spreading seed or anything just hit me up.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my brand new disc the most.

mikey141414

• Novice Poster
  • bag tag #121
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 10:41:40 PM »
When is the optimum time to spred seed. Someone, a long time ago told me do it in the snow? Then when it melts, it stays really moist. That kind of sounds right, but I am no expert.

WHo is good with grass?

And, who is in charge of signs? I have a good friend at SeeMore Signs on Wornall that could make some permanent signs.

Mikey
Crush
Beast
Roc
Buzzz
X-Putter

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 10:43:37 PM »
 Getting grass to grow doesn't require the entire course to be closed. I'd close a maybe half the course this year, the other half next. Pull the pins and inform the public. It's not like rosie doesn't have 36's holes to play on. Swope and Water Works on the other hand presents more of a challenge. But I'm still in favor of keeping at least half the course open for play. On the other hand, in the event of tee pads getting installed at Cliff Drive there would be 2 Brand New Courses that could absorb some of the foot traffic. Closing a course down entirely would most likely result with more vandalism and destruction to the park.

Mike Penney