Author Topic: Cliff Drive Wish list  (Read 3510 times)

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Cliff Drive Wish list
« on: February 07, 2008, 10:09:38 PM »
Hmmmmm ::)

Where to start on this one.

1. Tee Pads - till 30'x40' area based on 8'x10' tee pads, remove earth , install drain pipe, construct & place form boards, pour colored pervious concrete, construct retaining walls were needed, back fill, grade, seed. Tall order I assure you, but would be the correct way to do it.

2. Continue removing honeysuckle brush from hole 1 thru 6.
3. Better steps from hole 6 green to 7 tee.
4. A parking lot.
5. Water
6. Benchs
7. Tee signs
8. Trash cans
9. Trees
10. Amptheatre
11. Cart path
12. Golf carts
13. Flags?
14. Marque
15. poles or boulders along road by 4's tee
16. rod iron fence along rock walls
17. no parking signs along 12's fairway

Well let the comments fly.....

I will need help with one and two. If you are interested in helping please send me your info so I can get in touch with you, as my schedule is always changing. I plan on doing more cutting in the upcoming months, and will need hands with removal of brush and puting down turdon (poison).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 11:56:38 PM by Mike Penney »
Mike Penney

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cliff Drive Wish list
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:22:40 PM »
I am in, just let me know Mike.  Congrats on getting course coordinator.  I really enjoy playing Cliff and want to see the course continue to get better and better.

MOSPARKY

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 11:27:13 AM »
Congratulations on course coordinator!!  I just wanted to fire someone up!!!  Concrete tee-pads sound good!!  Lets start there.  If you need help you can e-mail me.  Sounds like you have great plans, all you need now is the funds and man power!!!!!!!!!  Hopefully parks department is willing to help.  With Worlds coming, I hope that Kansas and Missouri parks department can see the light and realize just what disc golfers do for the communities. 

mansizioux

• Am Poster
  • JV Golfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »
Call me Penny and I'll help you get started on those pads, or anything else.  Lance Dwyer (816) 807-2619
You can"t always do what's right, but you can always do what's left.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 09:27:51 AM »
I am meeting with the P&R this week to discuss a few items at Cliff.

Tee PADS.................then I'll talk about other things......then mention TEE PADS again.......then talk abuot other things, then mention TEE PADS again.......then talk about trash removal.....then mention TEE PADS again to them....see a trend....they'll be there soon.

Will discuss the water fountain that I got approved in 2005 that is still not here  Will discuss closing #4 tee area from cars also deterring trash dumping in area.  Will talk about other things, but basically tee pads, and signage is first, I believe that we already have signs, just need to make them, and the tee pads budgetted in 2006, so it is ensuring that the allocation was appropriate and that the money is left.  This should also be the time to work on the elevated Tee Pad for #7.  Still want to get a practice basket out there, and move a new plan for better parking alternatives.

Will also discuss Hidden Valley and WW with them as this is group that maintains those parks.

Keep you posted as we go.

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Keizer

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 02:23:51 PM »
Man, I hope you guys can get the ball rolling on those concrete pads. Not so sure about colored pads, though, as that might look tacky. Would the proposed amphitheater be going along the cliff between 7 & 8?

datfunkymonkey

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 03:52:10 PM »
i'm in mikey, especially on the colored teepads and cartpath...can we use go-carts, too? instead of using color infused concrete, tho...let's have each pad sponsered by a local artist and let them design and paint it. we could then go over with a supergritty clearcoat of somekind...i bet between michelle and christian etc. we could get all 18 no problem. shoot, the ampitheater should be one half of the reservoir...the other? ...skate/bike park with pro shop and bar!!! harhar
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 03:56:36 PM by datfunkymonkey »

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 09:55:06 PM »
 Thanks for all the support guys. At the moment I am working with Jack on all the details of what all is going to be needed get tee's done. Once that is ironed out we're mostly certainly gonna need a few lending hands to help.

As it stands now they're gonna be plain ol'concrete tee's.

Mike Penney

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 12:17:45 PM »
Tee pads...duh....
See above
Ok, what else we really need at Cliff Drive.
1-New teeing area out of the bottom of the bowl, clear out the trees W of tee pad #2 for the practice basket area and alternate pin placement.
1(b)-Clear out the trees around the basket, pull the dead and hanging branches off, clean it up all around, it is beautiful.
1(c)-continue to clear out to the South of the current placement to create better mowing paths, and help nurture a better natural look of the area, but not having all the honeysuckle.

2-New stairs down the path, continue to remove honeysuckle up the hill, clear out to the road to ease views and allow to prevent and deter illegal dumping. 
2(b)-Get trees that we have been cutting out of there, and then also get more honeysuckle new growth out.

3-Continue to remove honeysuckle out, get the side of the hill cleared of tree debris, continue around the corner, up top, Urgh, this hole looks great without all the greenery around it, but we need to work to continue to get all the honeysuckle off the side to maek it gorgeous!

4-Work the valley folks get rid of the downed trees

5-Need better stairs to get up hill, continue to clear out the hillside, and then up top, lets see if we can get the area completely clear again up there as it was back in 2003 with a plan and the old bridge....you remember......Ok, clear the top area all around where the baskets are.

6-Surprisingly, this is at a point to clear downed trees, and maintain the area, remove honeysuckle and look at alternate place area, up by the BIG downed tree, or down towards road, but looks good.  Stairs out on #6-#7, we are close to being done with the railroad ties, but need to get the last little portion taken care of.

7-Teeing area needs to be done.  Deeper pin placement, and clear out the entire area to the road, so that as you drive it will expose the rock, and allow us to visually see more of the park, this includes the hillside towards the basket currently, as well as getting all the hoeysuckle out for the rocks to be nmore exposed.

Path to 8 from 7, needs to be "cleaned" mowers will get it if we can get it set up right.....

8-Need to get all the honeysuckle and weeds S of pad towards the rock out, clear out more of the hillside (ongoing) to the E, and of course the Tee pad area, and we want to keep the "party area" as pristine as we can, this is a nice place in our course, lets make it the best.
8(b) hillside towards #10 basket needs to constantly have honeyusuckle taken out.

9-Keep area clear of honeyshuckle, going towards water, lets continue to work on it accordingly, could put a new pin placement in the woods, on slight peninsula about 45' from current location.....will need to clear out more there though for sure.

10-Clear out behind on deep placement, and towards #8 basket on the hillside.  This should also be a target to clear out towards the new #1 teeing and checkin area that needs to be worked on.

11-Tee pad, some trees.

12-Too long to list, starts with No Parking signs though in my garage, trash removal on the hillside....trash removal on the hillside, possible a new pin placement on the hillside, will need extra thoughts on that one though.......

13-Trees

14-Clean up the trees, and get the dead tree out.

15-Remove Left placement, and move to the big tree on the right behind it.

16-Trees

17-Trees

18-Trees

1-10 are the big items, and realitically 1, 10, 8 is an area that needs it, 2&3 need it, #5 area up top needs it, #7 deeper needs it, and #8 S needs it.  If I were to prioritize:
1-Tee pad and trail on #1 lets get this course going.
2-Stairs on all areas (2, 5, 6)
3-Honeysuckle and trees on #1, 2, 3.

That should take about 80-120 hours.  What day works for you to get started on this?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 12:20:34 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 11:14:59 AM »
 After tee's, the majority of hard work involves getting previous years cuttings cleared out, and the more cutting and clearing out that really needs to be done. This could be achieved rather quickly and with much more ease with a bobcat and about 10 people. A dump trailor would be nice too, but not gonna press my luck on that.

The alternative is going to require a lot more people and time.

A few other things need to happen before I can plan work days for people to come help. In the mean time by just remembering to pick after yourself out there goes a long ways. If somebody wanted to be ambitious and get a head start feel free to message me. 

Mike Penney

Keizer

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 02:42:06 PM »
I am definitely down to help out whenever you want to get the ball rolling on this, Mike. Had a great time last year helping out on 4, 6, and 8. My number is (816)590-8925.

-Keizer

datfunkymonkey

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 03:14:33 AM »
i have a trailer we can use. it's enclosed so it's best for the bigger logs n whatnot, but if it'll help it's 10' long x 7' high w/ a side door as well. the only dumping that it helps with is if i'm at a jobsite w/ no place to dookie and i use a 5 gal. bucket, but w/ 10 people it would still be better than the back of a truck.

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 07:17:13 AM »
Will the KCMO park people (or the club pay) for a big dumptser out there that we could fill up with trash, shingles and other refuse like limbs, broken bricks, glass etc...?

Like one of those big construction models?

It would be very productive (and kind of fun) to get it filled up.

I bet we could fill one up for a couple of Saturdays in a row. What a difference that would make. I play there as often as I can and I got a couple of buddies that play there too...I am sure we would all contribute to the "cleansing of the park"

Dan 816-506-2267
For a good time: Lat- 39°25'8.92"N, Long- 94°33'18.52"W

Keizer

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 12:35:10 PM »
It'd really be cool if we could get about a dozen folks together to set an all-out assault on the north slope along #12. I know there's a lot of sh1t down there, but we could get a lot of it picked up if we had a large enough group of volunteers. Is there a "clean the park" day where the whole neighborhood gets involved? Maybe something like that could be set up with help from the Parks Board. *shrug*

Keizer

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 08:33:52 PM »
Played Cliff today and the amount of dumped trash there is just sick. I have a truck and will volunteer to remove the toilet from #1, the pile of shingles from #2, and the mattress from #8 if arrangements can be made with P&R for a place to properly dispose of it. Hey, it's a start.

If anyone knows a number I can call or just a place to take trash from the parks, please post the info here so I can get started.