Author Topic: Any new ideas for Monday night league?  (Read 3430 times)

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Any new ideas for Monday night league?
« on: February 07, 2008, 11:01:12 PM »
Rick Rothstein suggested trying some new formats occasionally on Monday night league to generate more interest.  I'm thinking maybe one Monday a month try something different.  Perhaps we play glow (start later that night of course) or a scramble format with teams, or open-am doubles, etc.  Anybody have any ideas?  I'm looking especially to attract new players there.  Call me if you have some ideas, thanks.  Bob Hayett-913-888-8863.  Later... 

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Flock Kaw Chalka
    • View Profile
Re: Any new ideas for Monday night league?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 07:33:14 AM »
I like the idea of once a month doing pro/am doubles, but how do you destinguish pro from am players???  Alot of the people playing Olathe aren't members of the PDGA so ratings wouldn't work.  I guess we could use averages to determine, par golf and under average makes you a pro??

What about team play?  Not together but say 3-4 people form a team then you play singles golf and get a collective team average throughout the year, at have a final showdown towards the fall for prizes or cash???
DaBirdFatha
Bird > Word
Flockers Unite

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 10:23:51 AM »
I like the idea of once a month doing pro/am doubles, but how do you destinguish pro from am players???  Alot of the people playing Olathe aren't members of the PDGA so ratings wouldn't work.  I guess we could use averages to determine, par golf and under average makes you a pro??

What about team play?  Not together but say 3-4 people form a team then you play singles golf and get a collective team average throughout the year, at have a final showdown towards the fall for prizes or cash???

Team play might be fun.  Doubles wouldn't necessarily be pro/am, but A/B.  Split the field in half, and put the top 50% of the field in A, and the others in B, and then draw cards.  You could go by ratings, stroke average, or just intuition to decide if someone belongs in A or B.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 10:29:51 AM »
If we decided to keep a running statistics for each person in league this year (something I'm going to talk to the EC about), then we've got some statistics to use in order to help us with the A/B field.

Another consideration would be a 1 division handicapped round.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Flock Kaw Chalka
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 10:43:25 AM »
Non-dominate hand golf!!!
DaBirdFatha
Bird > Word
Flockers Unite

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 11:53:44 AM »
I know we have played triples before where the attempt is to team up a pro, adv and beginner at the club picnic many light years ago!!

I also miss the field event tourney with MTA, skill shot from different stations and disc golf. I may have to get in shape for MTA for all the running but i can hold my own in that event.

Steven Disc Glover

going-long

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 12:02:47 PM »
use a putter round...........or have putting contest.....instead of playing a round...........have putting contetst similar to washers or horseshoes

dclabe

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 01:09:25 PM »
Cali round....

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 02:27:15 PM »
We played alternate shot at Swope one night, it was fun and fast.
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 02:44:10 PM »
One disc, 2 disc, or 3 disc.
Backwards/Safari
match play
Match play doubles
rollers
putters only
drivers only
non-dominant hand (hehe... ;D )
cali-taire...everyone plays cali as a single.
time limit per hole

Jami will know that at JB in St Louis, during the winter they have something like 10 different formats, and play one each week, random choice until they're all gone, then they start over.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 06:06:33 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas, keep them coming.  I like the idea of A/B.  On any particular Monday when we form doubles or scramble or whatever we can use the A/B method to form the teams, makes a great deal of sense to me.  I think what I would like to try is to use the last Monday each month for a different format and keep the first three Mondays the same as always.  I used to play ball golf for years and played in a bunch of scrambles. It was about the most fun I ever had in golf.  If we have 16 players show up the last Monday each month we can have four teams of four players, and pick the teams based on handicaps.  I also like the idea of having a handicap singles round.  Alternate shot doubles would be the most fair teaming the player with the best handicap partnering with the player with the worst handicap, 2nd best handicap with 2nd worst handicap, etc.  Somebody mentioned picking teams to start the league and then having some sort of tournament at the end of the league.  Actually we could have a league scramble tournament at the end of the league, again base teams on handicaps.  We could require participation in the year end scramble tournament based on a certain minimum number of days participation in the league that year, say minimum 10 Mondays or some other number.  How about a one-disc league event, pick whatever disc and use only that disc for each shot.  I'm going to write down all the different possibilities and then figure something out for the entire league year, should be a lot of fun.  Later... :D

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 09:16:46 PM »
One of the funnest doubles formats I've ever played is "switch" doubles.  It is espescially good on shorter courses.  Create an A pool and a B pool.  If there are several distinctly different skill levels present, you could make an A, B, C, and D pools and partner A with D and B with C.

After both players on a team drive, they switch lies with their partner.  They continue to play out the hole from their partner's drive.  Best score on the hole is the one recorded.  This format makes the amateur a significant contributor to the team.  Much more strategy than regular best shot doubles.

A California round can be a lot of fun.  Want to make it more strategic and a slightly quicker round?  Make it a "conservative Cali" round where if players use their mulligan, they have to play from it.

For handicap singles, just use a spreadsheet to round 80% of the difference of the players scoring average and 54 or 52.  I like to set a maximum for the rounds used to keep handis up to date.  I max at 8, but you could take that number as low as 4 or 5.  Something else you can do to encourage players to participate is let them set a handicap for free with no prize or ace fund. 

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 01:38:58 PM »
As long as we're theorizing out here while waiting for the weather to warm, let me bring up this idea that was first suggest in a DGWN article by Dan "Stork" Roddick in 1997. http://www.pdga.com/club_affiliate/club_af_teamstork.php  It's a longish article. You'll need to scroll down a bit to get to his concept, which is fielding two teams of 36 players that would include people of both genders and all abilities. To localize it, let's imagine that we have a Kansas team and a Missouri team. The tournament would be two rounds (home and away for each team). Match play would be the ideal. When I last suggested this idea, it got trashed pretty quickly, but it still intrigues me. For now, I just want to throw it out here. I think the way it might ever come to fruition is if the lower divisions: novice, rec, intermediate were decided first. If we have get our two (one on each team) rec women, two intermediate women, two rec, 2 intermediate men first, the other players shouldn't be too hard to find. Anywy, just more food for thought while waiting for the thaw.

R

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 06:15:50 PM »
Rick thats an awesome concept. How would picks be decided? Would it be top rated players in each division or just who would match up best against each other? Maybe create a list of interested players and then match them from there to start off. Then  go off won loss stats to decide who plays who and eventually have a match play champ for each division from each state and an overall division champ once each state division champ plays each other.

Comments????

I mentioned to Jay at Down Under doubles on Saturday to possibly try an alternate shot doubles. He's pondering
Steven Disc Glover

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 11:22:53 PM »
I've heard some rumors this year about the KDGA doing a mini-series within the tour where for each event, each city would be able to select pros, masters, ams, women, and juniors to play for points.  Whether 2 teams or more, KC certainly has the players to entertain this type of format idea.  I think it sounds really fun.

I've played alternate shot doubles before.  As long as both players can tee on each hole for the ace fund, this can be really fun.  Then the teams picks the best drive and the partner plays it and switch again if the putt is missed.  Down under would be a great course to try out interesting formats on.