Author Topic: Topica?  (Read 1506 times)

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Topica?
« on: June 09, 2005, 03:03:24 PM »
How the heck do you use this thing?  If I get a email from someone that emails the kcfdc@topica.com address can't I just hit reply and send it back to the whole list again?  Or do you have to actually go to Topica's website to post messages etc?

TIA

-Confused Dennis  :?
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Topica?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 03:46:40 PM »
You should be able to just reply. I noticed you and Jeff both sending to Topica and the reply coming up completely blank. I think the problem lies elsewhere. I reply to Topica all the time without any problems using a Road Runner account and Mozilla Thunderbird. Perhaps it's the e-mail client you are using. I wish I could be more help to you guys.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Topica?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 03:50:11 PM »
Ya I was trying to help Jeff earlier assuming that mine was working just fine, and then you replied saying my message was blank too :?

I'm using gmail which typically helps manage all the replies to Topica in one email instead of having individual emails for the same topic.  Even another reason to use this fantastic forum more :D

Thanks Kevin.

-Dennis

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Topica?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 12:43:33 PM »
OK today I tried to reply again and got this return email:

Subject of the message: Re: WYCO Leauge
Recipient of the message: "kcfdc@topica.com" <kcfdc@topica.com>
Your email was rejected due to the following: Prohibited Content

That was all it said :S Topica doesn't like me  :x

-Dennis

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Topica?
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 12:49:06 PM »
DAMMIT

I went into Topica to reply to the message through their email method, and got the same Undeliverable message  :x

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Topica?
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 02:39:33 PM »
This has been happening for about a month.  It has been condensing some posts down in to a small attachment labeled 'no name'.  If you check some of those posts that appear blank you should see the attachment, you can download 'no name' and open it with notepad (or any text editor) and you will see the message people were trying to send.  

My theory is that Topica has implemented some new filtering technology to stop abuse of their lists by spammers and it has a problem with emails originating from the large web-based email providers such as gmail, yahoo, etc.  I will do a little research and see if I can dig any thing up.  

-Sean

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Topica?
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 03:02:04 PM »
I think I have found the problem... sending emails in html.  Email clients let you use html to make your emails look pretty by changing the text color and font size, but that code is sent as an attachment and Topica does not allow attachments, therefore your message is rejected or appears blank.  Here is a link to instructions for disabling html in most major clients(outlook, yahoo, aol, etc):
http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

Make the change and let's see if that is the problem.  

For those who use Gmail- at the top of your "compose" window it says either "rich formatting" or "plain text", you should be using plain text and not have any options for text size, color, etc.

-Sean

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Topica?
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 04:18:50 PM »
I just sent a reply message changing my Gmail to Plain Text, and no undeliverable message.

Thanks Sean!

-Dennis