Author Topic: 2008 KC Wide Open  (Read 15428 times)

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
2008 KC Wide Open Registration at DGW
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 01:04:32 PM »
Folks,

Disc Golf World will take your registrations for the Wide Open via credit card (with a small fee) or cash/check.  Just drop on by.  Or you can wait until Thursday and sign up in person at Blue Valley.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
Re: 2008 KC Wide Open - GO KC!
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 10:56:53 PM »
The KC Wide Open party tonight at Blue Valley was loads of fun. Kelly Warren cooked burger and brats and veggies for all the players who showed, guests, and staff. Bob Hayett's band was perfect with lots of blues and rhythm and blues. And, of course, the two kegs of Boulevard got emptied.

I just perused the results, and gotta say, GO KC. We've got Justin Starks leading the advanced by 2. His 53 at Rosedale today was rated 995. Ken Hostetler is only 3 out of the lead in advanced masters. KC occupies the top 2 spots in the intermediate men's division, with Steve Harris leading Aaron Johnson by five. With a lead of 20 throws, Lindsey Keith needs to avoid falling into a sink hole to claim her intermediate women's title.

On the pro side, Arturo Villarreal and David Hemmeline are tied for 6th and 11th, respectively in the open. While likely a bit too far down to the leader, Steve Rico, they are both poised to win coveted USGDC invitations. In the "old" divisions, Bryan Guthrie in masters and Mark Stiles in grandmasters are both only one throw out of the lead.

Oh yeah, this is probably the windiest Wide Open in our storied 26 year history. I heard a few of the stories from today...it was not easy for anyone.

Once again, go KCFDC players!

It should be more fun tomorrow at Water Works where all the pros are playing. The lead women's group tees at 12:30 and the top 4 open players go at 1:30. Check the tee times for the pros here: http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tournament_results.php?TournID=7287#Open. If attending,  please park in the Cerner parking lot directly across from the Park entrance. Spectators may enter a raffle for a Innova Traveler target. There will also be tournament discs and tee shirts for sale.

Just a reminder for those wanting to play casual rounds tomorrow: the ams should be finishing up at Swope and Blue Valley around noonish. Everyone associated with the KC Wide Open appreciates the majority of players in town who have cooperated with the course closures during the event.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 10:59:19 PM by Rick Rothstein »
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 KC Wide Open
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 07:33:44 AM »
anyone know when the am scores will be posted for the 5th round?

also, will these scores make it into the next ratings update?

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2008, 10:14:54 AM »
update: scores have been posted

i'd like to give out a shout to all the volunteers that keep this tourney going...what a great time on great courses!

now if we could have just dialed down the wind just a little bit. :)

GuinnessSmurf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ryan Oldham, Composer
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2008, 11:44:40 AM »
Wow!  That was an amazing tournament! 

Thank you to everyone who volunteered their time and energy to make this tournament a success.  I am continually impressed that our club can balance professionalism and amusement this well.  (Admittedly, my performance provided much of my "amusement" - but that is another story.)  It speaks well of hte TD's and our KCFDC members (and the sport in general) that players can have that much fun while playing in such a competitive atmosphere.

Kudos to everyone involved!
Check out my detailed beer reviews: www.ryanoldham.com/beer
Now with well over 400 reviews!

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2008, 11:55:54 AM »
dr. beer's enthusiasm was infectious; every time i saw him this weekend he had a smile on his face

CHAS.

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2008, 01:13:50 PM »
Where is the AMS posted at?

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2008, 01:23:19 PM »
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 01:47:26 PM »
Justin Starks was robbed!

Justin just started playing regular league and tourneys this season. He lost to Mike Robinson from Iowa who has played as an open player in SEVENTY-SEVEN tourneys since 2006. He's cashed in open in three tourneys just this season already and sixteen last season.

This guy found a loop-hole in the PDGA rules that robbed one of KCs finest up and comers from a well deserved win in my opinion. Robinson posted the comeback score to win the thing with a round at BV that would have beaten over 3/4ths of the Open division on that course in the same wind open had on Saturday. I suspect he would have cashed in Open here if he hadn't sandbagged in advanced. It ain't right man. Justin deserved that win.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2008, 02:03:14 PM »

Justin just started playing regular league and tourneys this season. He lost to Mike Robinson from Iowa who has played as an open player in SEVENTY-SEVEN tourneys since 2006. He's cashed in open in three tourneys just this season already and sixteen last season.

This guy found a loop-hole in the PDGA rules that robbed one of KCs finest up and comers from a well deserved win in my opinion. Robinson posted the comeback score to win the thing with a round at BV that would have beaten over 3/4ths of the Open division on that course in the same wind open had on Saturday. I suspect he would have cashed in Open here if he hadn't sandbagged in advanced. It ain't right man. Justin deserved that win.

I agree!!  How in the heck does this happen?  If he has cashed in open, then why does he even get the choice of playing advanced?  Unless he has never taken the money like Nikko was doing a couple years ago.

Still a bunch of crap....

Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2008, 02:09:04 PM »

I agree!!  How in the heck does this happen?  If he has cashed in open, then why does he even get the choice of playing advanced?  Unless he has never taken the money like Nikko was doing a couple years ago.

Still a bunch of crap....

He's accepted over $400 in cash as a pro just this season. The last time he ever played amateur was the Wide Open in 2006 and he finished 5th in advanced.  What's the point in having pro and amateur division at the sanctioned event level if people can just bounce back and fourth just because they are riding a ratings bubble that allows it?
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2008, 02:48:37 PM »
It's not a loop hole, it's the PDGA getting soft on the definition of Pro vs Am. http://pdga.com/documents/2008/08PlayerDivisionsGrid.pdf  Note the bottom right corner.

Yeah, I know he was playing Am legally under the new rules, it isn't exactly what can be called a loop hole but it smells like one in this case. I'll be you a dollar this guy plays Open next week and for the rest of the season. It just ain't right I tell ya. But besides the fact that it makes the PDGA look like they don't know what they're doing it also makes Michael Robinson the current poster child for sandbaggers everywhere. I guess you can't blame him for doing it, the rules allowed it and he just took advantage of it. I'm sure he still sleeps well at night.

I'm willing to listen to opposing viewpoints defending this guy's right to do this and why it isn't that big of a deal.....  anyone want to offer one up? Beuller? Anyone?
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2008, 02:54:03 PM »
It's not a loop hole, it's the PDGA getting soft on the definition of Pro vs Am. http://pdga.com/documents/2008/08PlayerDivisionsGrid.pdf  Note the bottom right corner.

Yeah, I know he was playing Am legally under the new rules, it isn't exactly what can be called a loop hole but it smells like one in this case. I'll be you a dollar this guy plays Open next week and for the rest of the season. It just ain't right I tell ya. But besides the fact that it makes the PDGA look like they don't know what they're doing it also makes Michael Robinson the current poster child for sandbaggers everywhere. I guess you can't blame him for doing it, the rules allowed it and he just took advantage of it. I'm sure he still sleeps well at night.

I'm willing to listen to opposing viewpoints defending this guy's right to do this and why it isn't that big of a deal.....  anyone want to offer one up? Beuller? Anyone?

This is one of the reasons I am considering stepping down to intermediate again...it's almost like making the Adv division a Pro2 division and doesn't encourage average players (i.e. myself) to "move up".
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2008, 03:04:17 PM »

This is one of the reasons I am considering stepping down to intermediate again...it's almost like making the Adv division a Pro2 division and doesn't encourage average players (i.e. myself) to "move up".

A sandbagger is a nasty species of golf vermin who lies about his true playing abilities - making himself seem worse than he is - in order to gain advantage in tournaments or bets.
We all know what a sand bag is, but how did bags of sand enter the golf lexicon?

First, the word doesn't derive from the type of sand bags we're all familiar with. It's not the defensive sand bags - those used for flood control, lining foxholes, and so on - but the offensive sand bags that give us the word "sandbagger."

Gangs and street toughs of the 19th century used sand bags as a weapon of choice. Take a sock or small bag, fill it with sand, wrap it tightly, and wail away on someone (well, don't actually wail away on someone, but imagine that you are) and you'll see how effective a weapon a small sand bag can be.

Gang members used such weapons to intimidate their foes or average citizens. To threaten and bully the populace.

This definition of sandbagger - a person who uses a sand bag as a weapon - can still be found in many dictionaries; it's the first definition for the word in most older dictionaries.

But the word didn't go directly from its gangland origins into golf; there was an intermediary step in its adoption by the sports world, and golf, to mean someone who misrepresents his ability to gain an advantage.

According to the website Word-Detective.com, that intermediary step was poker.

Say you're in a poker match and you're dealt a fantastic hand. If you place a huge bet right off the bat, you might scare most of your poker mates into folding. Instead, you might choose to bet small amounts, hoping to keep your opponents in the match, increasing the pot, up until the moment you show your cards.

As Word-Detective.com puts it, the poker meaning "... described a player who held off raising the stakes in order to lull the other players into a false sense of security. The poker sandbagger would pounce late in the game, clobbering the other players with his good hand."

The poker player, in other words, misled his opponents about how good his hand was ... until it was time to whip out the "sand bag" and beat those same opponents with it.

And that's how "sandbagger" came to have its golf meaning.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2008, 03:14:56 PM »
Nice bit of history Tom. Thanks.

In this case I am retracting my characterization of this guy as a sandbagger. He didn't misrepresent anything. All a guy had to do was look at his rating and they would have known what they were up against. He had no way to show a poker face with seventy-seven tourneys as an open player and over $3000 in cash winnings including $400 just this season published at pdga.com for all to see.

He wasn't trying to lull anyone into thinking he wasn't actually a pro player. He just took advantage of a new rule put in place by the PDGA. But by taking advantage of that rule I feel he made himself look like an opportunist of the worst kind. There, an opportunist in the most negative sense. That's how I'll characterize him. I don't know him at all so I hesitate to insult him anymore than that. But I hope he has trouble living it down amongst his peers.

The point is our new local phenom Justin Starks, just got screwed by the PDGA. Nice, real nice. Not a great way to welcome the guy to the organization in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 03:18:33 PM by Nivek9 »
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037